Help! No Audio on my Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Help! No Audio on my Roku

Postby clemdog » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:30 am

Hi All - Long time lurker and first time poster so be gentle...

I've had a Roku box for a few months and all was well...until last night that is. I have the A/V run as HDMI from the Roku to a Pioneer VSX-94 recevier. This has been fine for a few months but last night suddenly I'm geting no audio at all. Great picture (4 stars and HD where it applies) but no sound.

This is after the recent firmware update. I've also attempted the new 5.1 audio and then back to 2.0, factory re-sets,replaced HDMI cable, etc. All to no avail.

Any thoughts?

clemdog
clemdog

Postby clemdog » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:19 am

Just tried switching to optical cable instead for audio and still no sound...

Box gone bad?
clemdog

Postby kc8pql » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:23 am

I think the next thing I'd try would be connecting directly to the TV with the Roku set to stereo. If you have sound you will at least know the box is working.
Last edited by kc8pql on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby pjoshua5000 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:10 pm

First try going to setting and see what the audio is set at. Is it 5.1 or stereo?

This should check to see if the problem is in hardware (below)

First set the audio to stereo in setting and see if you can get sound.(in the roku) Try hooking the White and Red cables to you TV or/and HDMI cable to you TV directly and see if you can get sound (make sure the sound it turn up and on the right input channel) You should get sound since its hook up to your TV directly and the audio is set to stereo, if not check the cables, and you are on the right channel.

You said that you have a problem with your Pioneer VSX-94 receiver. I think you said that you have your audio and video running through the HDMI that is hook up to your surround system. I had a similar problem when I was trying to get 5.1 sound. The problem was withing the settings of the surround system.

I'm not know about these types of systems, but I do know that the setting are key. On my I had to change the setting so it knew to get the 5.1 thought the optical input. If you were able to get stereo before and are not able to get 5.1 then it might be problem with a setting. Also I'm not to sure what you are saying is your problem.

Below is the closes manual to your box I can find, it might help. I was only able to find the Pioneer VSX-94TXH. Unless you forget to add the TXH to the VSX-94.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/p ... ns0807.pdf

PS. Check for lose wires. You speakers wires might of came lose or some other cable.
pjoshua5000

Postby clemdog » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks pjoshua5000. It was simply a setting on the receiver that needed adjusting.

I'm good to go again.

clemdog
clemdog

Postby gentoodude » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:23 am

what setting was it that you changed? I have the same problem.
gentoodude

Postby elorimer » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:18 am

Most likely the the input needed to be set to HDMI instead of optical/coax/analog.
elorimer

Postby gentoodude » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:12 pm

I see. my HDMI cable goes directly to the TV from the ROKU player, so there are no third party devices that can block the sound, and still no sound from the roku. A restart of the roku player and the sound comes back up. I thought that he changed a setting on the roku player.
gentoodude

reboot to get audio

Postby rlitwin » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:12 pm

I have the same issue. I have to unplug the roku box and plug it back in to get audio, regularly. Not a huge problem but a minor inconvenience.
rlitwin

Postby elorimer » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 am

It occurs to me that one change might help with these HDMI handshaking issues. I run HDMI from the Roku to the A/V receiver, and then HDMI from the receiver to the TV, which is of a vintage when HDMI was just being introduced. Other video sources go to the receiver and are upconverted to the HDMI. I haven't experienced any handshaking issues.

But I have the Roku power plugged into the receiver's switched outlet and use a universal remote, so when I turn on the receiver and TV, the Roku also is turning on and booting fresh.
elorimer

Postby techmonkey » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:21 am

This happens to me every now and then. Sometimes if you unplug roku and back in it fixes the problem or even turning the tv on and off can work as well. Sometimes the HDMI "handshake" does not work.
techmonkey

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion