Repair and repair gurus

Discuss SoundBridge Radio-specific issues here. For generic SoundBridge discussion, please use the SoundBridge General Discussion forum.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Repair and repair gurus

Postby Mainer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:02 am

You guys who can dissect Roku units amaze me. I took the easy way: UPS'd my SBR to Matt in Austin. Ten days later, UPS brought it home. No change in appearance, no wires hanging out, no screwdriver scratches around the screws, and I think that Matt even cleaned the case. One big change: the radio works perfectly. Even kept my presets. The easy way rules for me.

Jack in Maine
Mainer

Postby alanmc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:31 am

You hit the nail right on the 'head' Jack -

It is certainly nice to see that so many people appreciate the great work undertaken by “ourâ€
alanmc

R1000 Repair

Postby tim_d » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:18 pm

I can also attest to Matt's service of Roku devices. I attempted to get the unit repaired through Roku but never received a reply to my service request.

At first I was very skeptical of sending my radio to somebody whose name I got off a forum on the internet but my concerns were quickly assuaged through communication with Matt. He answered my questions quickly and completely.

I just received my R1000 today and it is in tip-top condition and works flawlessly again. Thanks again Matt. I wholly appreciate your skills and recommend your services to anybody.
tim_d

Roku repair help

Postby NYBill » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:44 pm

I have an R-1000 radio. The earphone jack has been pushed into the cabinet in the open position so I cannot listen to it even though it is otherwise working properly. I contacted Roku customer service asking them what type of driver I need to use in order to remove those star topped screws they use now. All I need do is open the case enough to allow me to open the jack or as a last resort, change the jack. I didn't expect Roku to do a repair as the radio is more than a year out of warranty, besides they would say it is due to customer error. (Actually, I purchased the Roku on sale from NewEgg and as soon as I got it I knew it was either a demo or a customer return piece. It came minus a power cord and it had a dent in the front also . However, It worked fine, so I kept it as I didn't need the RMA hassle.) I haven't tried to use the ear phone before this so I did not know it was damaged. I received a nice reply that stated a customer service rep would be contacting me within a few days, they even gave me a case number! Case number 138255. That was about a month ago and no one has tried to contact me...no e-mails or snail mail. Nada. All I asked was which type of screw driver they recommend I use. Before I go it on my own, does anyone here have any suggestions?...These things can't be that difficult to obtain. I simply do not want to buy a set when I need just one. I recently purchased a Roku HD Netflix movie streamer, I hope I have better luck with it. Any help will be a big plus. Thanks in advance, Bill
NYBill

Re: Roku repair help

Postby Burkhardi » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:42 am

NYBill wrote:I have an R-1000 radio. The earphone jack has been pushed into the cabinet in the open position so I cannot listen to it even though it is otherwise working properly. I contacted Roku customer service asking them what type of driver I need to use in order to remove those star topped screws they use now. All I need do is open the case enough to allow me to open the jack or as a last resort, change the jack. I didn't expect Roku to do a repair as the radio is more than a year out of warranty, besides they would say it is due to customer error. (Actually, I purchased the Roku on sale from NewEgg and as soon as I got it I knew it was either a demo or a customer return piece. It came minus a power cord and it had a dent in the front also . However, It worked fine, so I kept it as I didn't need the RMA hassle.) I haven't tried to use the ear phone before this so I did not know it was damaged. I received a nice reply that stated a customer service rep would be contacting me within a few days, they even gave me a case number! Case number 138255. That was about a month ago and no one has tried to contact me...no e-mails or snail mail. Nada. All I asked was which type of screw driver they recommend I use. Before I go it on my own, does anyone here have any suggestions?...These things can't be that difficult to obtain. I simply do not want to buy a set when I need just one. I recently purchased a Roku HD Netflix movie streamer, I hope I have better luck with it. Any help will be a big plus. Thanks in advance, Bill

I can help you, you need the headphone jack fixed?

email me at burkhardi at hotmail.com
http://forums.roku.com/profile.php?mode ... ile&u=2460
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Another happy g0pkh customer

Postby jakebowen » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:42 pm

I also want to chip in here from the Euro side of the atlantic with my appreciation for g0pkh's repair service. My R1000 also died the typical power supply death and I can echo all of the Roku service stories. After contemplating self repair I ended up shipping mine from Denmark to the UK as it was well worth the price compared to spending 2-3 weekends fiddling about. Communication with g0pkh was rapid and clear and now I have my Roku back as new including my presets. Two thumbs up.
Soundbridge Radio
jakebowen

Postby mediafriendly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:11 am

Once repaired by these excellent chaps, does the PSU last longer than the Sounbridge original?
mediafriendly

Postby mdspencer_uk » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:55 am

mediafriendly wrote:Once repaired by these excellent chaps, does the PSU last longer than the Sounbridge original?

I imagine that would be very hard for the guys to 'guarantee' but they do use superior components to the originals so it would be reasonable to expect this. I was faced with the same decision, should I repair or ditch my radios. I chose to ask Pete ('g0pkh') to repair them. I would not expect him to give a guarantee, but he does explain what he does if you ask and I felt reassured by his explanations.
mdspencer_uk

Re: Repair and repair gurus

Postby lubelira » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:07 am

can anyone tell me how to reach matt in texas for a repair?> lubelira@aol.com
lubelira

Postby bregent » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:11 pm

You can contact Matt at burkhardi@hotmail.com
bregent

Postby lubelira » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:46 pm

bregent wrote:You can contact Matt at burkhardi@hotmail.com

matt called me and fixed my soundbridge over the telephone i am far from a computer guru at age 76 and he made it a charm the highlight of the call was when one of his twin 5 year olds put a disc in his computer while he was coaching me and he could not figure out why the screen went blank.. all kidding aside, it is a blessing to be a part of this community and to have received such incredible help from a stranger. Matt. thank you very much
Ira
lubelira

Return to SoundBridge Radio General Discussion