Can you have nore than 1 roku player

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can you have nore than 1 roku player

Postby fppeters » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:04 pm

I have 1 player, can I purchase another and use it with my same Netflix account? I really love the player, it's great
thanks
fppeters

Postby billc124 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:10 pm

This is covered in the Terms of Service for Instant Watch on the Netflix site, but here it is:

Members on Netflix unlimited plans may have up to 6 unique devices or computers activated on an account at any one time. Of those activated devices, members can watch simultaneously on more than one device depending on the plan type the member has. Click here for more information.

Basically if you have the 3 out at a time plan, you can watch up to 3 Roku devices at the same time. If you only have one at a time, you can have more then 1 Roku but can only use 1 at at time.
billc124

Postby FredFredrickson » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:35 am

I'm not sure how it works between the roku and the official xbox application, but I have the 1-at-a-time plan, but I routinely have netflix playing on my xbox simultaneously with the roku.. I've never needed/tried 3 streams at once, nor have I tried two rokus, but I know a roku and xbox seem to agree-

And even cooler, the roku seems to pickup the resume spots from my xbox. Neat!
FredFredrickson

Postby billc124 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:58 am

That is technically a violation of the Netflix TOS, but you are correct, it does work. I have had friends who bought a Roku that didn't upgrade their Netflix account to do streaming yet and we were able to use two Rokus at the same time. I don't know if Netflix watches for that or not though.
billc124

Postby mega1026 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:33 am

so I have a netflix account, 1 dvd at a time, an dI have a roku at my house. My girlfriend does not live with me, she has her own house, and she does not have a netflix account. If I bought a roku for her, would I have to buy her a netflix account of her own, or could we both have roku's in different houses under the same Netflix 1 at a time account?
mega1026

Postby billc124 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:11 am

mega1026 wrote:so I have a netflix account, 1 dvd at a time, an dI have a roku at my house. My girlfriend does not live with me, she has her own house, and she does not have a netflix account. If I bought a roku for her, would I have to buy her a netflix account of her own, or could we both have roku's in different houses under the same Netflix 1 at a time account?

If you upgraded to the two at a time plan, that is perfectly acceptable under the Netflix TOS. Keeping your current plan with two Roku's connected to it is not. I think it still works, but if Netflix were to catch on, they may try to charge you some fee or cancel your account for violation of the TOS. Not sure.
billc124

I would upgrade...

Postby wonderbird » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:50 pm

You can run both Roku devices but you won't be able to stream to both at the same time. Save yourself the hassle and upgrade to the 2 or 3 at a time plan. (I think the 3 at a time plan is your "best value" if you like to watch a lot of movies like me...)
I had the 3 at a time plan with 3 Rokus (that never have all been in use at the same time anyway) until recently. I was thinking of adding a 4th Roku but might hold off since I heard the PS3 will add netflix streaming capability too soon...
(For the RV it is hard to beat the 5watt power draw of a Roku when on batteries though...)
wonderbird

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion