So is the old Roku box the Roku HD?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

So is the old Roku box the Roku HD?

Postby sonujohar » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:58 am

With 3 Roku players available, is the old one the same as the Roku HD? or are all three new?!
sonujohar

Re: So is the old Roku box the Roku HD?

Postby senorgregster » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:05 am

sonujohar wrote:With 3 Roku players available, is the old one the same as the Roku HD? or are all three new?!

The link to the boxes for those interested:
http://www.roku.com/roku-products

I think you are right.

The SD version certainly sounds interesting for my bedroom SD TV.
senorgregster

Postby BEERxTaco » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:28 am

sonujohar wrote:With 3 Roku players available, is the old one the same as the Roku HD? or are all three new?!

yes, the current model is now the RokuHD.
BEERxTaco

Postby Mark12547 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:03 am

senorgregster wrote:The SD version certainly sounds interesting for my bedroom SD TV.

It may ... until you have to replace your bedroom TV.

When I purchased my Roku Netflix Box (which is what it was originally called), I didn't have a TV that could do HD. That changed a month ago when my main TV died. I'm glad the Roku Netflix Box does HD because it seems to work great with my new TV! So far, though, I had watched only two HD streams: "The Wizard of Oz" and "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead". The detail for the 3.4Mbps stream is fantastic!

But then, seriously, I did have it in the back of my mind three years ago that when that TV died, I'd go into the modern TV age.
Mark12547

Postby senorgregster » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:34 am

Mark12547 wrote:
senorgregster wrote:The SD version certainly sounds interesting for my bedroom SD TV.

It may ... until you have to replace your bedroom TV.

When I purchased my Roku Netflix Box (which is what it was originally called), I didn't have a TV that could do HD. That changed a month ago when my main TV died. I'm glad the Roku Netflix Box does HD because it seems to work great with my new TV! So far, though, I had watched only two HD streams: "The Wizard of Oz" and "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead". The detail for the 3.4Mbps stream is fantastic!

But then, seriously, I did have it in the back of my mind three years ago that when that TV died, I'd go into the modern TV age.

I hear what you are saying but I still disagree in my case. I have a 24 or 26 inch SD CRT TV in the bedroom. No need for HD on a set that size. The picture is stunning with great dynamic range and no ghosting etc that knocks the socks off an LCD/plasma. When this TV dies I will just move an old existing SD into that room.
senorgregster

Postby kumasuki » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:28 pm

senorgregster wrote:
sonujohar wrote:The link to the boxes for those interested:
http://www.roku.com/roku-products

On this product page why is no mention made of the (obvious) USB port on the HD-XR model?? That capability to me is far more appealing than the extended-range feature!
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby seahorsejl » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:51 pm

kumasuki wrote:On this product page why is no mention made of the (obvious) USB port on the HD-XR model?? That capability to me is far more appealing than the extended-range feature!

Because they have not announced any functionality for it yet. I think all Roku said is it is for "future use". Which means it might be enabled with a firmware update down the road, or maybe it is just for debugging purposes.
seahorsejl

The Roku HD...

Postby wonderbird » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:04 pm

Hooking up my computer monitor to the HDMI connector on the Roku player was responsible for me replacing my TV last year! I don't regret it. (I definitely recommend springing for $20 extra to have HD support.)
wonderbird

Postby ecopilot » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:00 am

I literally bought my Roku box 1 day before the XR photos were leaked and just received it today to confirm that it is, in fact, the earlier model (stamped "Roku").

I was wondering if anyone has information regarding whether there are any specs changes at all between the old box and the new model. If so I would consider using my 30-day guarantee to get the HD.

~Jason
ecopilot

Postby billc124 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:06 pm

ecopilot wrote:I literally bought my Roku box 1 day before the XR photos were leaked and just received it today to confirm that it is, in fact, the earlier model (stamped "Roku").

I was wondering if anyone has information regarding whether there are any specs changes at all between the old box and the new model. If so I would consider using my 30-day guarantee to get the HD.

~Jason

No spec changes that I see. The cheaper one does only composite video and the one you have is the HD version the more expensive one is 11g wireless and has the USB port.
billc124

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion