onlive gaming on the roku xr box, roku guys u should add it

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

onlive gaming on the roku xr box, roku guys u should add it

Postby dcxbox » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:56 pm

with the usb port the roku could technically support a game controller. and onlive is releasing a micro console for the tv. the box doesnt do any of the processing for the game. thats all done on servers and video is streamed to the player in real time.
it supposed to launch this winter.

http://www.onlive.com/
dcxbox

Postby jeffrok » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:01 pm

You realize that the Roku box has nowhere near the processing power to play "the hottest new games", right? A decent PC has $200-$300 worth of video cards in it alone!
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby -LD » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Everything runs on the server, not the console. They offer a mini-console that can run their service. The XR could potentially work given it has that USB expansion port.
-LD

Postby jeffrok » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:09 pm

Ahh, you're correct. I didn't read about it fully before I posted..

Still, I'm not sure the Roku has enough power to handle that fast of screen updates AND 2-way communication at the same time.. Who knows though- I guess we'd have to ask one of the programmers.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
jeffrok

Postby Crow550 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:11 pm

Yeah.......The only games we'd get on the box are like 80s arcade games. I don't know about you, but the remote would not work.....

Let's stick to video and audio for now. :wink:

Oh yeah the usb on the XR........Hrmmm.....Maybe?

Might have a cool idea there.
Crow550

Postby dcxbox » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:16 pm

Crow550 wrote:Yeah.......The only games we'd get on the box are like 80s arcade games. I don't know about you, but the remote would not work.....

Let's stick to video and audio for now. :wink:

Oh yeah the usb on the XR........Hrmmm.....Maybe?

Might have a cool idea there.

well on the xr with online you would be able to play games like gta 4, unreal tournament 3, cryisis nba live 2k10, fallout and so on up to 720p

SD 480P you need a 1.5 mb connection

720 p you need about a 4 or 5 i think, but they said it wont use all that, but average around 2-4 range

and could use a joypad or keyboard mouse combo to game with via the usb
dcxbox

Postby philsoft » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:31 pm

Even though the game is played on the server, don't you still have to be able to render the content locally?
philsoft

Postby dcxbox » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:54 pm

philsoft wrote:Even though the game is played on the server, don't you still have to be able to render the content locally?

no all rendering is done on the server. you just get video
dcxbox

Postby dcxbox » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:00 pm

philsoft wrote:Even though the game is played on the server, don't you still have to be able to render the content locally?

dcxbox

Postby philsoft » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:05 pm

dcxbox wrote:

It seems as though something like that would be a long ways off yet. Latency would be a huge factor.
philsoft

Postby billc124 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:10 pm

What about two player games? Kind of boring if you can only do one player at a time games, unless you can hook a USB hub up or something to get more then one controller. Also, the Onlive box uses Bluetooth for headsets so you can talk to the people you are playing with. I see that being a huge draw that the Roku won't have, also it supports wireless controllers and the Roku might not support that either. I don't see this happening since Onlive is also selling their own custom hardware for this.
billc124

Postby philsoft » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:14 pm

billc124 wrote:What about two player games? Kind of boring if you can only do one player at a time games, unless you can hook a USB hub up or something to get more then one controller. Also, the Onlive box uses Bluetooth for headsets so you can talk to the people you are playing with. I see that being a huge draw that the Roku won't have, also it supports wireless controllers and the Roku might not support that either. I don't see this happening since Onlive is also selling their own custom hardware for this.

It seems like you would make your matches over the internet which means you would have to sync your game with someone elses game and wait for their stuff to render (and they would wait for your stuff to render) into a video file, which is where the latency issue comes in.
philsoft

Postby billc124 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:18 pm

The fact of the matter is that no hardcore gamers will be using this service. It is for people who are not really that into gaming IMO. Nobody I know who has an XBox 360 would be interested in this.
billc124

Postby jeffrok » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:18 pm

You could do two controllers through usb if it came with a splitter/mini-hub.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
jeffrok

Postby philsoft » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:18 pm

OK I looked this thing up, and it appears there is some doubt as to whether this even exists.

http://games.venturebeat.com/2009/03/30/game-industry-executives-react-to-onlive-video-games-on-demand-announcement/

with the following being pertinent

But some people have reacted with utter skepticism and have made OnLive the subject of unfounded rumors. Several executives at game companies mentioned to me that OnLive’s demo, where it allowed people in its booth to play games that were hosted dozens of miles away on servers in Santa Clara, Calif., was fake. They had gone to the show’s Internet service provider, Priority Networks, which repeatedly confirmed to them that there was no Internet connection in the OnLive booth.
philsoft

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion