Wireless Connection Question

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

Wireless Connection Question

Postby davidhwv » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi,

Netflix have been nudging me on this and a link from there got me here. My question is on 'how to' connect my Comcast [hiss] existing set up. Apologies if what follows is dumb...:?

I have bundled TV/Internet/Phone from Comcast and their cable comes into my second floor office (that's where my non-wireless router - and PC - sit). Television is on the first floor (two points) and in the basement (one point).

So connection from 2nd floor to 1st floor (with TV + Roku box) will have to be wireless, yes?

However, if I purchase a wireless router will I need have a wireless receiver on the Comcast router also??? Or am I dispensing with that router if I get a wireless one??? (and then purchasing a wireless receiver for my PC's internet connection).

Any advice on what would be the necessary set-up for me would be greatly appreciated.

tia, David.
davidhwv

Re: Wireless Connection Question

Postby Galtha48 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:07 am

Hi David,

I am still a student but I did take a wireless class last quarter and did well with it. Your post is a bit dated so not sure if you still need this info or not? I will respond anyway just in case you do.

Your best bet would probably be to replace your wired router on the second floor with a wireless one. Probably get a wireless N version as that is the latest and they typically also support the older protocols (B and G) so more compatible with older and newer equipment. Just be sure to check the reviews before you buy. Seems like some of the N routers still have some bugs to be worked out. Last time I checked it looked like Belkin had a good one.

Remember you will be dealing with radio waves with wireless. So the type of construction and other interference matters. Radio waves have a tougher time going through brick, metal, water, etc. They go through sheetrock and wood fairly well. Sending a wireless signal vertically will require that at least one of your antennas be horizontal. That is because the radio waves radiate outward in a doughnut shape around the vertical antenna. You can get higher gain antennas to tweak that but that starts getting complicated and expensive. Easiest is to get a good wireless router and experiment with it.

Yes, you will need a wireless network adaptor (sends and recieves) for every wireless pc or laptop that you put on your network. Good thing is that most of the new laptops the last few years these are included. You just have to turn on the switch and do some software tweaking.

After you set up and get the wireless network running make sure you go through the router manual and reset ALL the security settings. You will want to change the SSID and the Admin password so you neighbors can't get access to your network. Also, set up WPA-2 encryption. Basically do everything they say for security on the wireless router. Turn off the SSID broadcast featuer, set MAC filtering, etc.. If you don't understand something get back on here and ask a question.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Neil

davidhwv wrote:Hi,

Netflix have been nudging me on this and a link from there got me here. My question is on 'how to' connect my Comcast [hiss] existing set up. Apologies if what follows is dumb...:?

I have bundled TV/Internet/Phone from Comcast and their cable comes into my second floor office (that's where my non-wireless router - and PC - sit). Television is on the first floor (two points) and in the basement (one point).

So connection from 2nd floor to 1st floor (with TV + Roku box) will have to be wireless, yes?

However, if I purchase a wireless router will I need have a wireless receiver on the Comcast router also??? Or am I dispensing with that router if I get a wireless one??? (and then purchasing a wireless receiver for my PC's internet connection).

Any advice on what would be the necessary set-up for me would be greatly appreciated.

tia, David.
2nd Year CNA Student
Galtha48

Postby davidhwv » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:58 am

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info it gives me the steps I need to take. Don't worry about the 'dated' part... it's a matter of money so I've not moved on this yet! :lol:

Appreciated.

Best, David.
davidhwv

Postby GGMA1126 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:41 am

Another option is to buy Netgear's powerline adapter. It plugs into your router and then another part plugs into a socket nearby where you want to connect and then run a wire from the adapter to the roku

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Powerli ... VB101.aspx

price is cheaper on Amazon
RokuGGma
GGMA1126

Return to Roku General