ROKU stopped working after 15 months

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

ROKU stopped working after 15 months

Postby revilo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:00 pm

My Roku stopped working after 15 months. Just does not show any sign of power. I called and emailed without response. I think a product should function longer than 15 months. Is there anything I can do to get this replaced? Is there an address for Roku?
Thanks
revilo

Postby kc8pql » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:07 pm

Check the power supply. There have been a number of failures reported.
You can order a replacement Here: https://shop.roku.com/Roku-Digital-Video-Player-Accessories-W2.aspx or get one from Radio Shack. Just be sure the polarity of the plug and the voltage matches and it outputs at least the same amperage.
Last edited by kc8pql on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby revilo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:12 pm

kc8pql wrote:Check the power supply. There have been a number of failures reported.

the unit does hum when i plug it in, initially i didnt realize this. Could it still be power supply if I hear the unit humming (no lights or anything else).
revilo

Postby Mark12547 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:22 pm

revilo wrote:
kc8pql wrote:Check the power supply. There have been a number of failures reported.

the unit does hum when i plug it in, initially i didnt realize this. Could it still be power supply if I hear the unit humming (no lights or anything else).

The low-pitch hum means power is making it to the primary winding of the transformer. There are electronics that hang off of the secondary winding of the transformer that can go out, such as the diodes to rectify the current or an electrolytic capacitor to help smooth out the output, and those components are more likely to die after shipping than the transformer.

So, no, the hum does not mean the power supply is working.
Mark12547

Postby kc8pql » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:20 pm

Agreed. You need to check the output with a volt meter.
kc8pql

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:57 pm

kc8pql wrote:Agreed. You need to check the output with a volt meter.

Not quite correct. It is possible to get the proper voltage but have insufficient amperage. I think it is a 1.5 amp transformer. In any case, if you do not have the proper equipment or skills to test the transformer you could take it somewhere or just buy a replacement and if it does not solve your problem you could return the replacement transformer.
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby Crow550 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:36 am

My HDtv died after a few years. :(

It has an issue warming up when turned on.

Sucks when some electronics die all of a sudden.
Crow550

Postby beaner » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:24 pm

Was the problem the power supply? I am having the same problem. Just stopped working.
beaner

Postby crgyro » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Mine also stopped working...has been working great since 5/08, the only issue I have had in the past was needing to be unplugged and replugged in after a power outage. Please note, this post is NOT related to a power outage.

I went to use it last night and got a message on my TV saying searching for signal...I thought that was odd since there is no way to turn the Roku box off. I tried unplugging and replugging similar to above, with no results. I see some people are saying it is the power supply, but I am skeptical of this. When I unplug the power, the TV says check signal cable (as it should) but when I plug the player in, the TV says searching for signals/no signal. (I am using HDMI cable) To me, that would mean that some amount of power is getting to the Roku Box, and therefore power supply/ac adapter does not seem to be the issue. Judging by the # of posts on this, could this perhaps be a "planned" End of Life for the unit?
crgyro

Postby billc124 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:44 pm

crgyro wrote:Mine also stopped working...has been working great since 5/08, the only issue I have had in the past was needing to be unplugged and replugged in after a power outage. Please note, this post is NOT related to a power outage.

I went to use it last night and got a message on my TV saying searching for signal...I thought that was odd since there is no way to turn the Roku box off. I tried unplugging and replugging similar to above, with no results. I see some people are saying it is the power supply, but I am skeptical of this. When I unplug the power, the TV says check signal cable (as it should) but when I plug the player in, the TV says searching for signals/no signal. (I am using HDMI cable) To me, that would mean that some amount of power is getting to the Roku Box, and therefore power supply/ac adapter does not seem to be the issue. Judging by the # of posts on this, could this perhaps be a "planned" End of Life for the unit?

No, They don't build boxes to die after a set period of time. The power supply could still be the issue, if it does not send enough power to the box it could cause what you say. Have you tried other cables to rule out the HDMI?
billc124

Postby crgyro » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:18 pm

Actually, it's a very common marketing strategy...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

And yes, I have also tried with RCA cables, to the same result.
crgyro

Postby billc124 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:32 pm

crgyro wrote:Actually, it's a very common marketing strategy...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

And yes, I have also tried with RCA cables, to the same result.

So your box could be bad, but Roku is not making boxes that will die after a set period of time. Mine is over 15 months old and has been working fine as are many others here. Thinking they are building boxes to become obsolete by purposely making them die is just plain dumb. Electronics die all the time for any number of reasons. A power surge could do it, a piece of dust getting inside the box could do it, anything could cause something to go wrong.
billc124

Postby Crow550 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:34 pm

I guess well have to wait & see......I think there has only been like 3 dead boxes?

That hardly means Roku is making them to die?
Crow550

Postby crgyro » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:53 pm

I was not trying to be overly pessimistic or start some sort of conspiracy theory or argument...

I understand things go wrong with electronics, and any # of things can cause them..I was simply making an observation.
crgyro

Postby Crow550 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:20 am

Yeah.... I don't know, even the fact that the power plug ins are known to die is not a good thing. The company should get some other part or something then. Instead of being known for having power plugins that die. That's not good. Is that even safe? You know what I mean? Heard several people say here the power adapters on Roku products are known to die.

So I hope reports of actual dying players does not increase....
Crow550

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion