Roku vs connecting PC to TV

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku vs connecting PC to TV

Postby macroman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Does anyone here have experience with connecting a PC directly to the TV to use as a monitor? All the content that I'm looking for curently could come from a PC.

What's needed to connect the PC to a TV and how does that compare with the ROKU experience?
macroman

Postby KennyJ » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:21 pm

Depends.

I used to connect my laptop to my TV, but didn't have enough inputs, so it was a pain in the butt. I had to switch out something else. On top of that, my laptop wasn't dedicated to TV watching, so I had to power it up each time to, say, watch Hulu. That and I didn't have a wireless keyboard or mouse, so I had to get up anytime I wanted to pause, etc.

Now, if you had a dedicated pc (eg HTPC) and were using Windows Media Center, Boxee, or Playon and had a remote, it would probably be quite useable, but unless you have an extra box lying around, it would probably cost a 2-3 hundred to build a decent one.
KennyJ

Postby Brad I. » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:27 pm

What is needed depends on your tv and computer. We currently use both a Roku and a HTPC with Boxee, our tv has a PC input. Even though More content is available on the pc, the Roku gets far more use. It's just so simple that the whole family uses it. The PC is great but much more involved, wouldn't even bother with it without a wireless keyboard. I would say wait a few more weeks and see what new content Roku rolls out.
Brad I.

Postby QuantumIguana » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:09 am

I'd consider both. Technically you don't need any special equipment. I have a PC connected via VGA. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. The Roku is much more convenient to use, is small and quiet. The PC is awkward, large and has a noisy fan.
QuantumIguana

Postby Burkhardi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:23 am

QuantumIguana wrote:I'd consider both. Technically you don't need any special equipment. I have a PC connected via VGA. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. The Roku is much more convenient to use, is small and quiet. The PC is awkward, large and has a noisy fan.

And don't forget the WAF...
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby neon8 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:51 pm

I have both setups. My Roku is connected HDMI and my PC is also connected HDMI to 60 inch Sony. I use the Roku for Netflix and Amazon and use the PC for content only available on internet- like HULU, youtube, blinkx, mediafly. If any of theses were available on roku would use them.
neon8

Postby Thanny » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:13 am

If you're talking about streaming Netflix, the Roku supports HD content, while Netflix has (for unfathomable reasons) not implemented HD content for computers.
Thanny

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion