closed captions for Roku viewing

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

Postby foxster » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:43 am

hello fellow ROKUers,

i just set my player up and have been adding Netflix movies to my lineup. i' ve also watched a little bit, both films and several South Park episodes. my question is regarding closed captioning. i would be much more comfortable with my viewing, if there was closed captions, but this subject is not mentioned in any instructions i've read. is closed captioning available? thank you for any help you can provide.

:?
foxster9
foxster

Postby deuce » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:18 am

Unfortunately we will have to wait.

http://blog.netflix.com/2009/06/closed- ... itles.html
deuce

Postby foxster » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:28 am

i got the bright idea of checking Netflix's FAQ and found that the closed caption issue had been addressed there. Netflix's reply said they were aware of non captioning problem and stated that foreign flims were subtititled where they were needed, but when it came to the general run of films, there was NO closed captions at the present time. they did say they were working on it and there was a 2010 expected date for instant view movies, but no firm date for the regular Netflix downloads.

i guess i'll have to find a sales outlet for ear trumpets. in any case, thanks for your help anyway.
foxster9
foxster

Re: closed captions for Roku viewing

Postby kc8pql » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:33 pm

foxster wrote:
i guess i'll have to find a sales outlet for ear trumpets. in any case, thanks for your help anyway.

Please don't take this as a condescending remark. It's not meant to be. My 92 year old father is successfully using headphones as a stopgap until CC is available.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

closed caption

Postby GGMA1126 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:35 am

Why can't they just let the software hand off to use the tv closed captioning option? - most tv's today have the option of using CC it can be turned off or on.
RokuGGma
GGMA1126

Re: closed caption

Postby billc124 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:54 am

GGMA1126 wrote:Why can't they just let the software hand off to use the tv closed captioning option? - most tv's today have the option of using CC it can be turned off or on.

That isn't the issue, the video encodes that Netflix provides don't have the captions in them. It isn't a matter of the TV supporting it or not, it is that the captions aren't even there for your TV to display.
billc124

Postby handyguy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Netflix has 100+ films with closed captioning & you can see the captioning but have to use a Silverlight player, not a Roku box. Captions are entered on line 21 but AVI streaming films like Netflix uses, don't have a line 21 that they can use so they have embed them captions into a film.
handyguy

Postby alcole » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:39 pm

I just installed a Roku and although I expected trouble with subtitles, I was appalled at how it is being handled. You can't tell whether something has closed captions unless you call up each film or tv episode. It would be so much easer if it had the CC symbol in the capsule summary. I wish Netflix would take this issue of captioning more seriously. A lot of people really are being left out. I'm one of twenty million Americans who are hearing impaired. And it isn't just old folks who are being left out. About 6 million people between the ages of three and 44 are hearing impaired. That's a lot of potential netflix/roku subscribers.
alcole

Postby ncmacasl » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:20 pm

Subtitles (CC) is not availalbe on the Roku yet, but *is* available on PC, Mac, Wii, & PS3. there are 5 3rd-party sites that are trying to keep track of their Subtitled content. My site is here: http://ncmacasl.blogspot.com/2010/10/ne ... -with.html 380+ titles so far.
Netflix InstantWatch titles with English Subtitles (for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing)
Over 425 Titles so far!! http://ncmacasl.blogspot.com/2010/10/netflix-instantwatch-titles-with.html (click my "Web" icon under my mini profile ---->> )
ncmacasl

Return to Roku General