Roku Replacement Remote

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku Replacement Remote

Postby mmurley » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:02 pm

My remote failed. Roku customer service started a case, but wanted to have me send in my entire unit.

Using the Roku Remote program I can control my Roku from my laptop, so its definitely the remote.

The store is out of remotes. Any other options?
mmurley

Postby kc8pql » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:05 pm

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby billc124 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:08 pm

You could get a universal remote like a Logitech Harmony. They are great remotes and can be had a pretty decent prices. Here is a link for one on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/ybpwubu

There are many models, I have the Harmony One but the link I gave you is for a cheaper model. It may seem a bit steep at a little over 100 bucks, but it will easily replace all the other remotes you have so that you only need the one. All the remotes for everything in my home theater setup are in a box since I use the Harmony for everything.
billc124

Potential Remote Replacements

Postby jcmolet » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:37 pm

I would suggest the Harmony One - hands down the best universal remote on the planet - or if you have an iPhone, try the DVP Remote application; it works great.
jcmolet

Re: Roku Replacement Remote

Postby calicommando » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:30 pm

mmurley wrote:My remote failed. Roku customer service started a case, but wanted to have me send in my entire unit.

Using the Roku Remote program I can control my Roku from my laptop, so its definitely the remote.

The store is out of remotes. Any other options?

I think you're probably right, but just because your computer controls your Roku doesn't mean your remote is to blame. It technically could be the IR receiver since your computer uses the network to connect to the Roku, not the IR. With all that being said, I'd be shocked if it was something other than your remote.
calicommando

Postby elorimer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:34 pm

How do you mean 'failed'?

If you look at it with a digital camera, are there no flashes when you press a key?
elorimer

Re: Potential Remote Replacements

Postby zwei » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:10 pm

jcmolet wrote:I would suggest the Harmony One - hands down the best universal remote on the planet - or if you have an iPhone, try the DVP Remote application; it works great.

A remote that costs twice as much as the Roku itself …I hope it works well :D
Roku 2 XS: Serial # 13A167000334
zwei

Postby billc124 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:19 pm

zwei wrote:
jcmolet wrote:I would suggest the Harmony One - hands down the best universal remote on the planet - or if you have an iPhone, try the DVP Remote application; it works great.

I have a Harmony One also. It is a great remote. I got mine for free as part of a word of mouth advertising campaign I was a part of. But, it isn't to just replace the Roku remote, it will replace ALL your other remotes.
billc124

Postby macroman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:36 pm

I understand the reluctance at the price tag but getting rid of possibly a dozen other remotes is worth something, isn't it?

Here is a link to the 550-refurbished which is cheaper yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony- ... y_e_text_b

All of the harmony remotes call for you to program them using your internet connection. Generally this seems like a good idea but some people have had troubles.

There are cheaper learning remotes now too. I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Sharper-Image-Jum ... 694&sr=1-1

Even this cheaper model can be programmed to turn on all your devices with one button.
macroman

Postby jcmolet » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:16 pm

billc124 wrote:
zwei wrote:

I have a Harmony One also. It is a great remote. I got mine for free as part of a word of mouth advertising campaign I was a part of. But, it isn't to just replace the Roku remote, it will replace ALL your other remotes.

The Harmony One certainly isn't cheap; however, as billc24 noted, the Harmony One will replace all other remotes...with style. If the only desire is to replace the roku remote, a cheap (~ $20) universal remote can surely be found.
jcmolet

Postby philsoft » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:19 pm

If you DO decide to go with a Logitech Harmony, you will want one that is rechargeable with a charging dock. They are spectacular remotes, but changing batteries is a drag, they don't last for months like they do in basic remotes.
philsoft

Postby dominjon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:06 pm

Try send a PM to one of the Roku people and see if the remote is going to be back available soon. Maybe they can even get hold of one for you...
dominjon

Postby macroman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:20 pm

philsoft wrote:If you DO decide to go with a Logitech Harmony, you will want one that is rechargeable with a charging dock. They are spectacular remotes, but changing batteries is a drag, they don't last for months like they do in basic remotes.

Are rechargeable batteries that much of a pain?
macroman

Postby philsoft » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:26 pm

macroman wrote:
philsoft wrote:If you DO decide to go with a Logitech Harmony, you will want one that is rechargeable with a charging dock. They are spectacular remotes, but changing batteries is a drag, they don't last for months like they do in basic remotes.

Are rechargeable batteries that much of a pain?

It is just an annoyance I can live without. They invariably tend to go dead at the least convenient times (like when I JUST sat down after doing something particularly taxing). I have both, one that takes batteries (659), and the rechargeable Harmony 880. The 659 is sitting on a shelf with the batteries removed lately.
philsoft

Postby gadrago » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:17 pm

I prefer components which use replaceable AA or AAA batteries rather than proprietary (and usually non-replaceable) rechargeable battery packs. Nickel metal hydride batteries are cheap, are far superior to the nickel cadmium rechargeables that they have replaced, can be recharged in a couple of hours, and are good for 500- 1000 charging cycles (making them orders of magnitude cheaper than alkalines). The latest battery chemistry formulations for them (where they come precharged from the factory) make them suitable for items like flashlights and remotes where long shelf life is desireable. I have thrown away many cordless items with non-replaceable battery packs where the item was in working condition but the battery pack was dead, and not worth the trouble and expense of trying to get it replaced, if that was even an option.
gadrago

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion