Connecting with CLEAR Wimax USB modem / Clearwire device

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Connecting with CLEAR Wimax USB modem / Clearwire device

Postby skyyeblue » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:29 am

Hi all,

I apologize if this has been covered here in the forums but I couldn't find anything relevant in my searches.

I previously was able to connect to an unsecured wifi signal both on my computer and thru the Roku and everything worked perfectly.

I have just moved across town and started service with CLEAR using a mobile USB modem on the laptop to access the internet. The Roku device does not "see" the Wimax connection at all. I called CLEAR and they couldn't answer any questions; they said that it should work in a wired modem but that the USB device is a secure signal that the Roku couldn't pick up.

When I first spoke to the rep in sales, he said that he thought there was a software setting that would change the CLEAR device from Wimax to Wifi. Tech support could confirm no such thing, however they deferred from letting me speak to someone up the chain.

Has anyone had this issue or been able to connect wirelessly with a CLEAR usb modem? I called Roku CS and she told me that it wouldn't work if I connected a Cat 5 cable from the computer to the Roku. Is this true? Sounds to me like they (CLEAR) want me to lease/buy their modem/router. I have already purchased the Mobile device, so I don't need another modem/router in the house (the cat doesn't use the internet though she enjoys I Can Has Cheezburger - ha ha)

HELP!?!? I appreciate all info and suggestions you may have. Thank you!!

...skyye
skyyeblue

Postby jjaf » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:42 pm

Hi skyyeblue

I'll quote this from the WiMAX Wiki article, you may want to read the rest:
WiMAX is a term coined to describe standard, interoperable implementations of IEEE 802.16 wireless networks, similar to the way the term Wi-Fi is used for interoperable implementations of the IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN standard. However, WiMAX is very different from Wi-Fi in the way it works.

Hopefully that answers your question as to why Soundbridge will not work with WiMAX without their router/Wifi adaptor.
R1000, M400, M1001
jjaf

Postby skyyeblue » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks, jjaf. Could you direct me to the article, or any other info relating to this? I was not aware of this issue before I purchased the Roku.
skyyeblue

Re: Connecting with CLEAR Wimax USB modem / Clearwire device

Postby bac522 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:20 pm

skyyeblue wrote: I called Roku CS and she told me that it wouldn't work if I connected a Cat 5 cable from the computer to the Roku. Is this true?
...skyye

I believe she meant to say it could work this way, but you need to bridge your ethernet connection with your usb clearwire adapter for it to work within you laptop.

You can start here to learn more on how to do that http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hnw_understanding_bridge.mspx?mfr=true.

As someone else said, WiMax and Wi-Fi are as different as a car is too a boat.
bac522

Return to SoundBridge General Discussion