How slow of a connection can work with Netflix?

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

How slow of a connection can work with Netflix?

Postby hppyfngy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:51 pm

My friend has a slow satellite connection for her internet. I would bet it is under 1 mb.

I know they recommend at least 1.2mb, but will Roku stream Netflix at slower speeds?
hppyfngy

Postby billc124 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:26 pm

Very unlikely. If it did work, it would be terrible quality. Not really worth the money. If she uses her computer does it work? That is a good indicator of how well it will work, but anything less then 1.5 is probably not worth the trouble.
billc124

Postby hppyfngy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:50 pm

I'll have to try her computer. If she could get all that already paid for Netflix goodness for the cost of the Roku device, it would certainly be worth the money, imho. Rural customers need entertainment too...

:)

But will it work at all? Not at all at less than optimum speeds? Will it simply buffer more or just not function, period? Quality might be acceptable on her small television.
hppyfngy

Postby mikr » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:11 am

I have a very consistant 1mb connection (WISP--wireless isp--2.4 mhz radio--much more reliable then satelitte)) and am able to view with about 1-2 minutes for content, buffering etc--very seldom stops and rebuffers. This is 325 feet from the router--an access point acting as a repeater at 275 feet--laptop has it's 's' video connected to 27 inch crt tv--picture quality isn't as good as over the air digital broadcasts, but close. This is my barn tv, house tv is a 32 crt--picture quality is the same as the 27. I think I'm gonna try the Roku.
mikr

Postby halastrion » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:08 pm

I have 1.5 down and 384 up and the player works great. The only problem I have is that when I use it it takes down the internet connection for everything else except for my VoIP phone... I can't get any of the computers to work and can't ping the internet until I turn it off. I posted a thread about it under the Video Section.
halastrion

Got my Roku

Postby mikr » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:02 am

Roku/Netflix works fine on my 1mb connection, 2 dot quality--ok for standard def tv--wouldn't look good on hd or lcd tv -- I get a better picture with my laptop hooked to tv. Hope this helps.
mikr

Postby halastrion » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:43 am

Thanks,

John
halastrion

Postby mkevenson » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:16 am

I have not purchased a Roku but hope too. In an effort to determine whether or not my DSL speed is fast enough Meas yesterday @ 1.32MB/s with a max avail of 1.5MB/s per the DSL provider. I used my lap top with BlueRay in the Living room and was able to watch movies thru the router, from netflix with no problem. Can I assume that the Roku will work as well in the same location hooked up to my TV?

Mark
mkevenson

Postby halastrion » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:22 pm

From what I have seen it will probably work better, but it may do so at the expense of the rest of your network. Other people have had better luck, I'm going to upgrade to a faster service pretty soon.

John.
halastrion

Postby mkevenson » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:19 pm

I have learned that my lap top works ok but the roku does not have the memorie to buffer the signal as well as my lap top. At this point I am going to use my lap top and wait for the roku until and if I get faster DSL.
mkevenson

Postby halastrion » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:03 pm

From what I have seen the Roku buffers better than a PC, if that helps at all, it takes a while to load, but once it does, it almost never stops, though the laptop does sometimes.
halastrion

Loading, Please Wait? Lose your HDMI

Postby MarkTwo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:54 pm

I have ethernet in my high-rise apartment but it's a slow connection speed of about 990 kbps...significantly less than the 1.5 mbps technical requirements for Roku.

I was getting "loading, please wait" over and over and over...I finally called Roku and in passing the guy mentioned that an HDMI cable requires more bandwith...I think it was 1.8 MBPS. So it actually sucks bandwidth. That's what I was using to connect. So I switched to the component connection cables and I get "loading, please wait" far less. Still a couple times a movie, but nothing like before.

Of course, I'm using my Internet browser now, which has caused the movie to buffer...

It's never going to be perfect but still very enjoyable, by and large, and I can live with a re-buffer or two a couple times a movie.

In sum, I guess I would say, if you are operating with less than 1.5 MBPS, or getting "loading, please wait" a lot, use component or composite cables instead of an HDMI.

Hope that helps.
MarkTwo

Return to Roku General