Roku Channel Store manual update?

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

Roku Channel Store manual update?

Postby lbeck37 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:26 am

In the Nov. 23 press release it says:
"Existing customers who do not want to wait for their Roku player to update automatically can manually update their Roku player immediately. Detailed instructions can be found under the Roku Channel Store tab at http://www.roku.com/support/faqs.
I see nothing in that FAQ page about this and when I look at my Roku account page I see this:
"Thank you for creating a Roku account. Unfortunately we have not released the Roku Channel Store software upgrade for your Roku player. We will let you know as soon as it is available so you can link your Roku player to your Roku account. We apologize for the inconvenience."
Any ideas?
lbeck37

Update Roku for new channels

Postby daricec » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:09 pm

I had the same problem.

First I had to go to Roku.com and create an account.

Second, I searched Roku's FAQs and found this:

Yes, your Roku player must be updated for you to view and use the Roku Channel Store. All Roku players will receive an automatic update. If you wish to use the Channel Store immediately, you can manually update your Roku player:
1. From the Roku home screen, select the "Settings" icon.
2. Select the "player info" icon within "Settings."
3. Select "check for update."
4. Select "yes" on the confirmation dialog box to confirm that wish to update your player.*
5. Once you see a dialog box indicated your player has been updated, select "ok" to restart your Roku player and finish the installation.
*There is a possibility that the Roku player will state it has the most up to date software already installed. If you receive this notification, please immediately try updating again and it will begin the update process.
The new Roku software will take a few minutes to download and then reboot. When the new home screen appears, you will at first only see the "Settings" icon. Please wait approximately 30 seconds for other icons, including that for the Channel Store, to appear on your home screen.

Once I got the code, I went back to Roku.com, entered the code, and now I'm all set. Hope that helped! :)
daricec

Postby lbeck37 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:50 am

Thanks for the reply. Turns out that just before (like 1 minute!) I was notified of your reply I got an email from Roku Test0 <rokuplayer@roku.com>, that said the following and gave a link with the same instructions (I like the part about ignoring the message saying the firmware is up to date and just trying it again :lol: ). Like you suggested, I had created an account but I looked through the FAQs and I'm pretty sure there was no section about the Channels like there is now. Anyway I'm up with the new channels although about the only one I've found that does much for me is Leo Laporte's Twit TV one (and Pandora is nice). I watched Leo long ago on the TV and recently have been listening to his podcasts.

Here's the email I got from Roku-
"Thank you for being one of the first customers to create a Roku account. We’re happy to report that the software update that will add the Roku Channel Store to your Roku player is now available via a manual update.

You will find detailed instructions on how to update your Roku player at the following URL: http://www.roku.com/roku-updates.

Thanks for your patience as we were readying this major upgrade. We hope you enjoy the new content available in the Roku Channel Store.

Regards,

Chuck Seiber
Vice President, Marketing
Roku, Inc
PS. To celebrate our Channel Store launch, we're offering Free Gift Wrapping and Free Shipping till 12/10/09"

Thanks again for your reply,
Larry
lbeck37

Postby mvigor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:18 pm

This is definitely not working for me. I just told it to check for a software update about 10 times in a row and it told me each time that nothing new was available. No new channels for me tonight! :(
mvigor

Postby RokuBrian » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:55 pm

If you're following the directions and checking for update and then re-checking and still not getting the update, I've noticed a couple things have helped some other folks who have pinged me today via Twitter, Facebook and email. Do a power cycle on the box and also, confirm your Network settings by hitting the Network icon under "Settings".

Then try the update again. Don't mistake with Factory Reset as that is not what I'm suggesting. Just unplug the unit then plug it back in.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I've been traveling today so my apologies for the lack of replies.
RokuBrian

Force Update

Postby Boku » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:19 pm

As with updates in the past, you can "force" them by going to Settings>Player info>Check for Update. It may come back at you with "Youre software is up to date. Please select ok." This pretty much just means they are experiencing high traffic. Try again. And again. And probably again. 3x for me. But it only takes a few second each time. YOU GOTTA WANT IT!
Boku

Return to Roku General