Roku player shows blue screen on HDMI after s/w update

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku player shows blue screen on HDMI after s/w update

Postby shelleyp » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:34 am

I updated my Roku (first generation) with the new channel software update, and it seems that I've lost the HDMI connection now.

I get a solid blue screen with the Roku when connected with HDMI. I do get a picture with component. I have tested the HDMI connection with another device (AppleTV) and the HDMI connection still works.

Though I typically use component, I have had HDMI in the past and it worked until this week.
shelleyp

Postby philsoft » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:28 am

Might there be a firmware update available for your TV?
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby shelleyp » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:57 pm

philsoft wrote:Might there be a firmware update available for your TV?

If there was a problem with the TV, it would show when I tried the AppleTV device with it.

No, it's the Roku. Before update, HDMI worked. After, HTML no longer works on the box. It could be that the HDMI connection crapped out at the same time as the update.

Not a particularly robust little box.
shelleyp

Postby wideasleep1 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:09 pm

IIRC does your partners unit swap right in and work (is it isolated to your unit?).
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

Postby philsoft » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:50 pm

shelleyp wrote:

If there was a problem with the TV, it would show when I tried the AppleTV device with it.

No, it's the Roku. Before update, HDMI worked. After, HTML no longer works on the box. It could be that the HDMI connection crapped out at the same time as the update.

OK, no problem. Good luck.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby wideasleep1 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:04 pm

wideasleep1 wrote:IIRC does your partners unit swap right in and work (is it isolated to your unit?).

Oh, and I assume your partners box has the new update?

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

Postby shelleyp » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:48 pm

wideasleep1 wrote:IIRC does your partners unit swap right in and work (is it isolated to your unit?).

I'm going to try roommate's box, next week some time. With the new channel store, swapping is no longer a simple issue, since we have different channels and different setups.
shelleyp

Postby shelleyp » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:49 pm

philsoft wrote:
shelleyp wrote:

OK, no problem. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a feeling that there's not much I can do.
shelleyp

Postby wideasleep1 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:29 pm

shelleyp wrote:

I'm going to try roommate's box, next week some time. With the new channel store, swapping is no longer a simple issue, since we have different channels and different setups.

Yeah, I can imagine...was just trying the usual process of elimination steps, and you're lucky to have two units. Hope it gets resolved! :)

wideasleep1

Postby shelleyp » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:33 pm

I tried a second, upgraded Roku, and I get blue screen via the HDMI connection with it, too.

So, something in the upgrade has caused problems with HDMI.

The HDMI connection on my TV still works, but not with Roku. And the Roku box isn't broken, unless both Roku boxes broke in the exact same way at the exact same time.

The only change was the upgrade.
shelleyp

Postby robertm » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:42 pm

Have you tried hooking it up to a SD interface and checking the settings?
robertm

Postby shelleyp » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:49 pm

robertm wrote:Have you tried hooking it up to a SD interface and checking the settings?

To clarify, it works with component settings. The second box also works with an SD TV, using composite.

So, both work with component, both to a HD and SD TV. Both work with composite to an SD tv. Neither works via the HDMI connection to the HD TV.

The one box did work, until the upgrade. Both boxes have been upgraded.
shelleyp

Postby robertm » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:06 pm

shelleyp wrote:
robertm wrote:Have you tried hooking it up to a SD interface and checking the settings?

To clarify, it works with component settings. The second box also works with an SD TV, using composite.

So, both work with component, both to a HD and SD TV. Both work with composite to an SD tv. Neither works via the HDMI connection to the HD TV.

If you switch it to 4:3 or 16:9 does it work via the HDMI cable?
robertm

Postby shelleyp » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:11 am

robertm wrote:
shelleyp wrote:

If you switch it to 4:3 or 16:9 does it work via the HDMI cable?

There is no picture, nothing, to make a switch. You don't even see the boot up screen.

This did work with HDMI before the upgrade. It does not work, with both boxes, after the upgrade.
shelleyp

Postby billc124 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:13 am

What kind of TV is it? RokuJames mentioned in another thread that when they see issues like this, they try to get the model of TV that has the issue to test things out. If it is a newer TV, they might be able to pick one up to troubleshoot.
billc124

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion