can roku be used to connect computer to television?

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

Postby Jon Juhlin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:56 pm

Given that the Roku player and my computer are connected to the same network, is it possible to display my computer screen on the television through the Roku player rather than connecting the computer using SVGA or Svideo cables?
Jon Juhlin

Re: can roku be used to connect computer to television?

Postby billc124 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:02 pm

Jon Juhlin wrote:Given that the Roku player and my computer are connected to the same network, is it possible to display my computer screen on the television through the Roku player rather than connecting the computer using SVGA or Svideo cables?

No, you cannot. What would you be looking to display. Videos on your computer or what you computer is doing at that moment? Expand your question and maybe there is a better answer. But basically, there is no way to do anything with the Roku other then what is described on the website at this time. That may change now that they have the SDK out, but currently it only does what it says it does.
billc124

Postby Jon Juhlin » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:04 pm

Re: what would I want to display. I haven't made a laundry list of every possible thing, but any number video data are available from you tube videos to television reruns from sources other than those associated with Roku, to just showing family photos in a larger format, to surfing the web.

I have not seen this topic covered in any of the written materials that came with the player. But it is an output device that is connected to a wireless network. Currently, it uses the network to connect directly to the internet, but it seems reasonable that it might be able to communicate with other devices on the wireless network of which it is a part. I can communicate with other devices on the network so it seemed reasonable that there might be a way to control the Roku player for streaming other types of data.

I thought that perhaps a forum for Roke users/enthusiasts might be a place to try.
Jon Juhlin

Postby billc124 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:05 am

Currently it can only do what is documented, I suspect it will be able to do local video content or streaming from a server in the future, but that remains to be seen. I heard a rumor that PlayOn might be interested in making a Roku channel which would allow you to do what you are asking for as long as you had the PlayOn software installed on your computer.
billc124

Re: can roku be used to connect computer to television?

Postby Burkhardi » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:08 am

I don't know what "Roku" you are talking about and since your not in the "Digital Video Player" or "PhotoBridge" palyer forum, I have to guess.
Yes, the Roku HD1000 PhotoBridge can put your family pictures from your computers hard drive on your TV and it looks GREAT!

If it's the RDVP, then the answer is no, but perhaps someday.

Jon Juhlin wrote:Re: what would I want to display. I haven't made a laundry list of every possible thing, but any number video data are available from you tube videos to television reruns from sources other than those associated with Roku, to just showing family photos in a larger format, to surfing the web.

I have not seen this topic covered in any of the written materials that came with the player. But it is an output device that is connected to a wireless network. Currently, it uses the network to connect directly to the internet, but it seems reasonable that it might be able to communicate with other devices on the wireless network of which it is a part. I can communicate with other devices on the network so it seemed reasonable that there might be a way to control the Roku player for streaming other types of data.

I thought that perhaps a forum for Roke users/enthusiasts might be a place to try.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Return to Roku General