Can't Connect To Local Network - Looking for some quick help

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can't Connect To Local Network - Looking for some quick help

Postby jsmith_4242 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:27 pm

I'm trying to set up my Roku-XR DVP, but it's proving to be much more difficult than I expected. I input my wireless network's key and the devise passes the first connection, but then 'Can't connect to your local network'.

Here are the details:

Roku Model: Roku-XR
Router Model: WRT54GS with Thibor Frimware
QoS: Disabled
Security: Tried both WPA and WPA2 Personal

I have tried several things, including trying a Static DHCP assigned to the Roku, putting the Roku in the DMZ, and altering my security key (there was one symbol I wasn't certain of).

What do you think the problem could be?
jsmith_4242

Postby jcmolet » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Sounds like it could be an issue with your firewall. Have you tried temporarily disabling it? If that works, you will need to adjust your firewall settings to allow Roku. Adjusting your firewall settings will vary depending on your OS.
jcmolet

Postby worthy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:43 pm

i second trying it with your firewall disabled....i got fairly frustrated with what I expected to be a totally easy set up until i took that step. search for your wireless router and firewall on google and you should find how to do it, if you dont already know how...

(just so you know, once you are connected you can put the firewall back up, you don't have to leave it down...or at least I didnt . you change mine through a browser window, so i bookmarked it in case I need to mess with it again)
worthy

Postby jsmith_4242 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Hi and thanks for the replies.

I just disabled my firewall via my router's setting page (192.168.1.1)

Unfortunatly, it still didn't work. It gets through the 'Connecting to wireless network' phase just fine. But it still can't get through 'Connecting to your local network'

Any more ideas? I was really hoping the firewall-method would work.
jsmith_4242

Re: Can't Connect To Local Network - Looking for some quick

Postby jcmolet » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:59 pm

jsmith_4242 wrote:I'm trying to set up my Roku-XR DVP, but it's proving to be much more difficult than I expected. I input my wireless network's key and the devise passes the first connection, but then 'Can't connect to your local network'.

Here are the details:

I have tried several things, including trying a Static DHCP assigned to the Roku, putting the Roku in the DMZ, and altering my security key (there was one symbol I wasn't certain of).

If you cannot connect to your LAN, that suggests your router - which controls access - does not like something. I was confused by your statement, "...including trying a Static DHCP assigned to the Roku..." as it is an either/or proposition, not both. You should probably choose DHCP - which lets your router assign an address - and ensure you have input the security key correctly.
Last edited by jcmolet on Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcmolet

Postby jsmith_4242 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:15 pm

jcmolet wrote:
jsmith_4242 wrote:I'm trying to set up my Roku-XR DVP, but it's proving to be much more difficult than I expected. I input my wireless network's key and the devise passes the first connection, but then 'Can't connect to your local network'.

Here are the details:

Are you setting a static IP address or using DHCP?

I am setting a static IP using the Static DHCP Lease feature of my router's firmware. This allows me to assign a static IP to a specified MAC address.
jsmith_4242

Postby jcmolet » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:26 pm

jsmith_4242 wrote:
jcmolet wrote:

Here are the details:

Are you setting a static IP address or using DHCP?

I am setting a static IP using the Static DHCP Lease feature of my router's firmware. This allows me to assign a static IP to a specified MAC address.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with your specific router model or the firmware. There may be some specific settings which need to be tweaked. Have you added other devices to your LAN? If so, do you recall if you had to make any tweaks? The Roku box is pretty straight forward in its setup. Outside of inputting the security key for your LAN, nothing else is required. Perhaps you can find a forum for your router that addresses adding devices to a network.
jcmolet

Postby jsmith_4242 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:30 pm

I've added three (2 different models) internet security cameras and a print server. Nothing out of the ordinary with those installations. This one just seems to be throwing a wrench into my work!

If any more ideas are out there, I'm more than willing to give them a shot. I'm off to power cycle all my equipment.
jsmith_4242

Postby jcmolet » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:33 pm

You might look through this Roku forum:

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=wep
jcmolet

Postby jsmith_4242 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:41 pm

jcmolet wrote:You might look through this Roku forum:

I've checked that out, but Roku says it will work with WPA and everything else in that thread is equal to my set-up.

Thanks though.
jsmith_4242

Postby jcmolet » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:43 pm

jsmith_4242 wrote:

I've checked that out, but Roku says it will work with WPA and everything else in that thread is equal to my set-up.

Thanks though.

Here is another thread:

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... ht=wrt54gs

Good luck. I know it can be frustrating.
jcmolet

Postby jsmith_4242 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:08 pm

jcmolet wrote:
jsmith_4242 wrote:

Thanks though.

Here is another thread:

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... ht=wrt54gs

Good luck. I know it can be frustrating.

Thanks. No luck there either though. I've also searched the forums and tried everything that I have come across, but to no avail.

Yeah, it's frustrating (especially since I have 8 hours to get it up and running [it's a gift for someone] before I'm away for 2-weeks haha), but I'm sure the payoff will be worth it.

Thanks for the help.

Still looking for suggestions.
jsmith_4242

Postby jsmith_4242 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:18 pm

It should be noted that the Roku works with wireless security disabled....
jsmith_4242

Postby RokuMarkn » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Just to clarify since you mentioned a static IP address -- the Roku player requires a DHCP server on the network. Make sure your router's DHCP server is enabled.

--Mark
RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Postby jsmith_4242 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:46 pm

RokuMarkn wrote:Just to clarify since you mentioned a static IP address -- the Roku player requires a DHCP server on the network. Make sure your router's DHCP server is enabled.

--Mark

Yes it is. At the moment, I'm not using a static IP either - strictly DHCP.

Like I said, the Roku DVP will work with wireless security disabled, but when I enable WPA (that being the *only* change) and enter the correct key, it does not 'connect to your local network'.
jsmith_4242

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion