ROKU and U-Verse

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

ROKU and U-Verse

Postby john4wine » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:27 pm

Help! Cannot seem to get my Roku unit to get past the first dot using the wireless setup. I think the problem may be with the router supplied by AT&T. Its a 2Wire, 3800HGV-8 modem/router.

Roku tech support wanted me to change the DNS setting on the router, but you cannot do that with the 2Wire router. It's set by AT&T.

Spent 45 minutes with AT&T tech support, but they were no help either. Even went so far as trying a hard wire connection and the router recognized the Roku. Changed the firewall setting for it, but when reverting back to wireless mode, it made no difference.

Has anyone else out there been able to connect their unit using the AT&T supplied router or is having the same problem I am?

I would appreciate any/all help! Have had unit going on 2 weeks and just about ready to send it back for a refund.
john4wine

Postby dnelms » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Can you run an ethernet cable from the router (assuming it has about 4 ports) to the Roku? If so, redo your setup and go the wired setup route.

I'm suggesting a pernament connection, not a test as it looks like you have already done that.
dnelms

Postby scyber » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:09 pm

You said you tried it hardwired. Did it stream correctly when it was hardwired? If so then the issue is with your wireless and (most likely) not your firewall.
scyber

Postby john4wine » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:55 pm

A hardwire connection is out of the question. Roku is downstairs; router upstairs. Its wireless or nothing!

When I tried the hardwire connection, I didn't have a TV to check out the connection. I merely wanted to ascertain if the router recognized the Roku unit, which it did.

Any suggestions?

jg
john4wine

Postby scyber » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:00 pm

My point of seeing whether the hardwired connection worked or not is to try and narrow down the cause of the issues.

I realize that hardwired isn't a long term solution. However if the roku box works correctly when it is hardwired, then we can be pretty sure that the issue is with the wireless signal and not with your ISP nor your router configuration. If you have similar issues when the roku is hardwired, then we can stop trying to troubleshoot your wireless signal for now and focus on your router config and/or your ISP.
scyber

Postby john4wine » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:02 pm

OK. I'll give it a try by moving a TV near my router and see if I can get the hard connection.

(And thanks for all of your help!)

To be continued...

jg
john4wine

Re: ROKU and U-Verse

Postby aegl » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:25 pm

john4wine wrote:Roku tech support wanted me to change the DNS setting on the router, but you cannot do that with the 2Wire router. It's set by AT&T.

FWIW, I have AT&T U-verse service, and it works just fine with my Roku (though I've never tried a wireless connection, just a wired one).

DNS sounds an unlikely source of the problem. Can you stream Netflix on PCs (wired or wireless)?

I suspect that you can reset the DNS settings if that really is a problem. Point a browser at the 2wire gateway (should be at 192.168.1.254) and see what you can do. Admin password ought to have been given to you, but I think it defaults to the serial number of the router.
aegl

Postby john4wine » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Yes, I can get streaming NetFlix via my PC.

There is nowhere in the router set-up that allows the DNS to be changed. I tried to get AT&T tech support to do just that, and they said they assign the DNS number and it is unchangeable.
john4wine

Postby aegl » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:43 pm

john4wine wrote:OK. I'll give it a try by moving a TV near my router and see if I can get the hard connection.

(And thanks for all of your help!)

To be continued...

jg

While you have the Roku close to the router, you could try wireless there too. Perhaps the wireless signal is poor far from the router (and close to your main TV & whatever other electronic gear you have)?
aegl

Postby john4wine » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:45 pm

Worth a shot. Will probably try the wireless connection first.

TBC
john4wine

Postby john4wine » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:25 pm

OK. I guess I'm back to square one.

First tried to establish a wireless connection: no joy. Next, tried a hard wire connection. No joy either. The router recognizes the Roku, but the Roku still cannot get past the first dot. Even set the firewall to allow everything through.

Any thoughts?
john4wine

Postby danstl » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:28 pm

well if it cant get past the first dot when configuring the network it is not recieving an IP address from your router. Can you check your DHCP settings on your router? make sure its running...
danstl

Postby john4wine » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:36 pm

The DHCP setting is direct IP.
john4wine

Postby john4wine » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:37 pm

Forgot to add, the router recognizes the Roku unit. So it appears at least I'm getting one-way communications. I wonder if I may have a faulty Roku unit?

Comments?
john4wine

Postby TexGuy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:41 pm

john4wine wrote:Forgot to add, the router recognizes the Roku unit. So it appears at least I'm getting one-way communications. I wonder if I may have a faulty Roku unit?

Comments?

I would take the roku to a friends house and test it on another system.
TexGuy

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion