Roku Player Won't Connect

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku Player Won't Connect

Postby LadyDi » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:20 pm

I had to replace my router and did with a Linksys G Wireless. is "secure". I followed the directions and entered my passcode but it will not connect. The tech support guys wanted me to open my connection, so I removed security & still no connection.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! I CAN'T USE MY ROKU AND I'M VERY
S-T-R-E-S-S-E-D!!!

Please HELP ME!!!! :evil:
LadyDi

Postby wideasleep1 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:28 pm

What router model and revision is the Linksys? Where exactly (step by step) is the connection failing?
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

Postby LadyDi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:52 pm

It is a Cisco Wireless G, model WRT54G2. I took the security off the wireless connection as the guys in Brazil requested, rebooted the Roku and it kept giving me a message saying that it could not connect to the network. I also took the Norton security down. If there is an "open" connection available, WHY won't it connect??
LadyDi

Postby robertm » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:29 pm

Did they tell you to be sure DHCP is on or walk you through setting up a static IP address on the Roku?

Does the Roku see the Linksys router in the wireless setup?

Are you able to use the router with other things like notebook computers?
robertm

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:34 pm

Also check for mac filtering. That is often a separate tab from normal security and it could be the problem. You may have to either disable mac filtering or enter the Roku mac address.

Make sure you are broadcasting the SSID also. You can turn it back off later but to get initial connection it's easier to broadcast.

If it can't connect then it sounds like and issue with the router and roku to me, just what exactly is hard to say. I'd bet either mac or dhcp error at this point.

You can use WPA2 security.
mkiker2089

Postby jeffrok » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:56 pm

LadyDi wrote:It is a Cisco Wireless G, model WRT54G2. I took the security off the wireless connection as the guys in Brazil requested, rebooted the Roku and it kept giving me a message saying that it could not connect to the network. I also took the Norton security down. If there is an "open" connection available, WHY won't it connect??

Really? Brazil?

By the way, any settings on your PC do not need to be changed as the Roku has nothing to do with your PC. Disabling Norton security would do nothing to make this any better.

You say you disabled security.. Did you specifically try disabling the firewall on the router, and possibly turning off the wireless security completely (for troubleshooting sake only)?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby robertm » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:58 pm

Yep. It could be MAC filtering. There is also the off-chance that it is missing a firewall rule to allow outbound traffic. By default they almost all have the initial rule but I remember getting one some time ago that didn't and I was surprised (don't remember the brand now).
robertm

Postby LadyDi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:19 pm

I don't know how to turn off the security on the router???I took the password off and opened it up and automatically 8 other people in my area logged on to my site. I know, because of the map that's included in the Network Magic software.

I don't know how to disable mac filtering. I do have the mac address as I saw it when I was setting things up and wrote it down. They didn't say anything about DHCP and I don't know what it is and we didn't set up a static IP address. I don't know whether the router sees the Roku but we have 2 laptops connected and they're working fine. Network Magic doesn't show the Roku on the map so maybe it doesn't see it.

SOUNDS LIKE I NEED A TECHNICIAN TO GET THIS THING SET UP. I am NOT that technical. I know software and was able to get this firewall set up and then take it down and put it back up but ALL of these INSTRUCTIONS are FRIGHTENING ME! It worked FINE before I had to replace the router and it worked on this router for a while and then stopped connecting.

WHAT DO I DO NEXT?
LadyDi

Postby robertm » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:00 pm

Calm down. The absolute worst thing that happens is you have to push the little reset button in the back of the router and restore the default settings. So even if you messed it up somehow you can get it back to functioning within a few moments.

You should be able to get into your router through the IP address. If you didn't change it, it is probably 192.168.1.1. Type that into your browser on your computer.

I don't know the screens for that model because, quite franky, I hate cisco products, however there is probably a tab or a link called something like "ACCESS CONTROL". It probably has a checkbox for whether or not access control is on or not. If it is on there may be a list of MAC addresses. You can either turn it off or add the MAC address to the list.

DHCP will be probably be under a section for LAN settings. It should be turned on (again probably a checkbox) and the default range of 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.255 is fine.

If your computers work okay then you obviously have rules set up to allow outbound traffic so that is good and obviously the router and wireless do actually work.
robertm

Postby LadyDi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:16 pm

I cannot get into the IP address either through Explorer OR Firefox. What other first step do you suggest? I've been looking at the Network Magic application and it has a step where you can add a PC or device. It shuts down the firewall temporarily until you enter the Key into the new device. I've already tried the manual way but I'll try this till you get back with me.
LadyDi

Postby LadyDi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:27 pm

YEAH! For some reason when I used Network Magic to install the Roku, I typed in the Key on the TV and entered and NETFLIX IS UP & RUNNING!!!

LIFE IS GOOD :P :D
LadyDi

no Internet

Postby TeacherTei » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:20 pm

I have the Roku-hd and It can find the Internet. I have dhcp enabled, mac filtering is disabled, security is off and firewall is off.

It finds my network, I put in the WEP key and it connects to the router, it connects to my local network

then it tries to go to the "Internet" step, and last step--and then error message. "can't connect to the Internet."

Belkin wireless G, firmware up to date

I restart my router and roku after every router reboot.

I'm on a wireless pC from my wired desktop PC.

Everything is working.

Now what?

TIA, Tei
TeacherTei

Re: no Internet

Postby philsoft » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:40 am

TeacherTei wrote:I have the Roku-hd and It can find the Internet. I have dhcp enabled, mac filtering is disabled, security is off and firewall is off.

It finds my network, I put in the WEP key and it connects to the router, it connects to my local network

then it tries to go to the "Internet" step, and last step--and then error message. "can't connect to the Internet."

Belkin wireless G, firmware up to date

I restart my router and roku after every router reboot.

I'm on a wireless pC from my wired desktop PC.

Everything is working.

Now what?

TIA, Tei

There is a setting on the Belkin routers that has to be disabled, I believe it is exclusive to the Belkins. I can't recall what it is right off. Can someone jump in that remembers?

EDIT:
I remember, it was QOS setting, disable that.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion