Hooking Roku to DVR

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Hooking Roku to DVR

Postby corwin045 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:19 pm

My question is can the Roku HR be hooked to a DVR so that downloaded content can be recorded, or can it only be hooked to a TV for playback.
thanks
corwin045
corwin045

Re: Hooking Roku to DVR

Postby zwei » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:50 pm

corwin045 wrote:My question is can the Roku HR be hooked to a DVR so that downloaded content can be recorded, or can it only be hooked to a TV for playback.
thanks

No.

Here's the thing with the Roku. You watch what you want WHEN you want. Why waste precious DVR space when everything is On Demand?

Not to mention legality…
Roku 2 XS: Serial # 13A167000334
zwei

Postby jeffrok » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:52 pm

Yes, pretty illegal to download rentals.. And no, it's not possible to record it to your DVR due to copy protection.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby scarlettu2 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:12 pm

corwin045 wrote:My question is can the Roku HR be hooked to a DVR so that downloaded content can be recorded, or can it only be hooked to a TV for playback.
thanks

I think they are referring to the videos that they have purchased not videos that were rented through "NetFlix" or "Amazon".
Carpe Diem
scarlettu2

Postby nowhereman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:25 pm

scarlettu2 wrote:
thanks

I think they are referring to the videos that they have purchased not videos that were rented through "NetFlix" or "Amazon".

They could also mean MediaFly podcasts or other free content that they want to have their own copy of. The copyright issues vary from show to show, but the majority tend to be released under some form of Creative Commons license. It's definitely possible, I've done it via the composite outputs on the box. However, the quality is not great. In the case of a podcast you're better off just downloading the video directly via a PC.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
nowhereman

Postby philly_phenom » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:07 am

I guess you could record to your PC using Hauppauge's HD-PVR using the component outputs...

However, you might as well download your purchases to your PC via amazon's Unbox player...
philly_phenom

Postby zwei » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:32 am

The only things that have any reason at all to be recorded from the Roku are things that expire. That's either Netflix Starz content, or AVOD shows you've rented. (illegal)

Pretty much everything else (currently) can be downloaded directly to a PC and burned to DVD or served up DLNA style. Makes much more sense than wasting precious DVR space.
Roku 2 XS: Serial # 13A167000334
zwei

Postby themeltedsnowmand » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:45 pm

I want to skip commercials... that's all I want the DVR for, or to pause a show, and then skip commercials. CBS.com and regular hulu already have commercials and to my knowledge no means of skipping through them. I don't want to copy material, but some of these shows are adding a TON of commercials. You may THINK the subscription services won't change and start putting commercials in, but at one point we had no Atm fees, movie trailers had no commercials (anyone else hate having to watch a commercial before seeing a commercial (trailer).
themeltedsnowmand

Postby dwanthny » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:02 am

themeltedsnowmand wrote:I want to skip commercials...

Please no necro-posting in public, it's just rude. Re-activating a thread that has been inactive for over 2 years is just bad netiquette. Start a new thread next time.

Thread locked in 3... 2... 1... ?
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby otis151 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:01 am

dwanthny wrote:

Please no necro-posting in public, it's just rude. Re-activating a thread that has been inactive for over 2 years is just bad netiquette. Start a new thread next time.

Snarky.
otis151

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:19 am

otis151 wrote:
dwanthny wrote:

Snarky.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38665
by RokuShawnS » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:27 pm
FORUM GUIDELINES
Fellow Roku’ers,
When creating a topic, please perform a search or glance over the first two pages before posting the topic, as it may have been covered already. In general, if a thread is more than six months old, it will be best for our moderators if you generate a new thread, to prevent confusion.
Gilgamesh

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion