Will Roku work wirelessly to LCD computer monitor???

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Will Roku work wirelessly to LCD computer monitor???

Postby mikeles1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:35 pm

Hello All,
I have a Roku set up wirelessly to my HTPC in the living room and it works great! I would like to be able to watch TV/movies in my garage while I'm on the treadmill. My question: Will a Roku work wirelessly to an LCD computer monitor in the garage OR do I need a TV? If yes, can I get a cable(s) to convert the monitor input to the Roku output?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Mikeles1
mikeles1

Postby dvo01 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:46 pm

I feed my TV via the VGA Component feed. I have a cable that is component on one end (hooks to Roku component out) and is a VGA connector on the other (hooks to TV). If the monitor can be driven by a VGA Component signal, this should work.

You will also need audio, a cable with two RCA plugs on one end (for audio out from Roku) and an mini-stereo plug on the other and then into a set of powered computer speakers.
dvo01

Re: Will Roku work wirelessly to LCD computer monitor???

Postby kumasuki » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:59 pm

mikeles1 wrote:Hello All,
I have a Roku set up wirelessly to my HTPC in the living room and it works great!

At the risk of being techno-pedantic, the Roku communicates wired/wirelessly to only one device - a router (through which comes the IP data stream from the Limelight servers). Apart from the ethernet jack, all other connectors on the Roku are audio/video outputs to a display device (be it TV, LCD monitor, projector, etc).

As already mentioned in this thread, you can use VGA-to-RCA or component converters/adapters to connect to a non-TV display with a VGA port. (you can also have 2 outputs connected at the same time). HOWEVER, if the Roku is the living room and the second display is in the garage, traversing the distance with the A/V cables may not be a trivial issue. You might look into AV-over-ethernet baluns.
Last edited by kumasuki on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby mikeles1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:59 pm

dvo01 wrote:I feed my TV via the VGA Component feed. I have a cable that is component on one end (hooks to Roku component out) and is a VGA connector on the other (hooks to TV). If the monitor can be driven by a VGA Component signal, this should work.

You will also need audio, a cable with two RCA plugs on one end (for audio out from Roku) and an mini-stereo plug on the other and then into a set of powered computer speakers.

Thanks dvo01, I understand I must have the correct input/output cables, ...but will the "monitor" display the Roku video without a tuner in a TV or PC feeding it?

Mike
Mikeles1
mikeles1

Postby kumasuki » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:04 pm

mikeles1 wrote:...will the "monitor" display the Roku video without a tuner in a TV or PC feeding it?

The Roku only uses a TV as a dumb display - the Roku itself is providing the audio/video stream, the TV tuner is bypassed entirely (which is why you need to 'switch' to an alternate input source on your TV when using the Roku or a DVD, TIVO, etc.).
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby dvo01 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:09 pm

mikeles1 wrote:
dvo01 wrote:I feed my TV via the VGA Component feed. I have a cable that is component on one end (hooks to Roku component out) and is a VGA connector on the other (hooks to TV). If the monitor can be driven by a VGA Component signal, this should work.

Thanks dvo01, I understand I must have the correct input/output cables, ...but will the "monitor" display the Roku video without a tuner in a TV or PC feeding it?

Mike

Yes, the monitor should display the Roku video. The Roku box is essentially a small computer with a video driver that generates a video signal in composite, s-video, component or HDMI format. In my example above I am using my HDTV as a monitor, I am not using the internal tuner on the TV and don't have a computer between the Roku and the TV.
So if your LCD monitor can handle a component signal, it should be able to be connected directly to the Roku box.
dvo01

Postby robertm » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:11 pm

Both of my computer monitors have an S video input which will connect directly to the Roku. As was mentioned earlier in the thread you will have to do something for sound.
robertm

Re: Will Roku work wirelessly to LCD computer monitor???

Postby mikeles1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:36 pm

kumasuki wrote:
mikeles1 wrote:Hello All,
I have a Roku set up wirelessly to my HTPC in the living room and it works great!

At the risk of being techno-pedantic, the Roku communicates wired/wirelessly to only one device - a router (through which comes the IP data stream from the Limelight servers). Apart from the ethernet jack, all other connectors on the Roku are audio/video outputs to a display device (be it TV, LCD monitor, projector, etc).

As already mentioned in this thread, you can use VGA-to-RCA or component converters/adapters to connect to a non-TV display with a VGA port. (you can also have 2 outputs connected at the same time). HOWEVER, if the Roku is the living room and the second display is in the garage, traversing the distance with the A/V cables may not be a trivial issue. You might look into AV-over-ethernet baluns.

Thanks Kumasuki!
I intend to purchase a 2nd Roku box and connect wirelessly to my office PC from the garage.

Thanks!
Mike
Mikeles1
mikeles1

Postby jeffrok » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Well.. If you can do "wireless" from your laptop, you could always just go to Netflix.com, Amazon.com, Mediafly.com, etc, etc, etc, and watch the very same content on your laptop, without the Roku even being in the picture.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mikeles1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:20 pm

jeffrok wrote:Well.. If you can do "wireless" from your laptop, you could always just go to Netflix.com, Amazon.com, Mediafly.com, etc, etc, etc, and watch the very same content on your laptop, without the Roku even being in the picture.

Jeff,
Yup, but I've only got a 14" laptop ...and would like a larger monitor...perhaps "used" from Craifslist or a new "cheapie" monitor.

Thanks,

Mike
Mikeles1
mikeles1

Postby brunson » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:43 am

Most laptops I've used will drive an external monitor. See if there's a monitor output on the back.
brunson

Postby RokuAnthony » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:16 pm

the "roku by the treadmill in the garage" is pretty common with our customers (i have one).

You can connect a roku player to a small TV or LCD Monitor (if the monitor has a composite, S, or HDMI input). And your WiFi signal usually makes it to the garage.

The cheapest / best solution is probably a small TV with HDMI input.

A Roku will not connect directly to a monitors VGA or DVI input. Composite (that yellow connector) to VGA converters are available, but the quality is medium. Its okay for SD video.

Another issue with PC monitors is that they usually don't have audio. You can hook up powered speakers (like a computer does).

But all in all, the best solution is a cheap, new, LCD TV. This will connect directly to your Roku with great video quality.
RokuAnthony
El Jefe

Postby philsoft » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:28 pm

RokuAnthony wrote:the "roku by the treadmill in the garage" is pretty common with our customers (i have one).

An exercise channel sounds like a real breadwinner then huh?
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RokuAnthony » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:38 pm

i usually watch 30 rock, or dr who, or office.

:-)
RokuAnthony
El Jefe

Postby Village Idiot » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:44 am

the first 4 Dr.Who were the best doctors.
I was watching Dr.Who long before people even heard of Star Trek.
my favorite villain was The MASTER

I like the idea of an exercise channel. Way better then a zillion cooking shows.

How about a techie channel showing you how to hook up, and program stuff like Windows 7, home theaters, Roku, Wii, cell phones, etc.
Village Idiot

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion