inconsistent sound volume

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

inconsistent sound volume

Postby blocked » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:31 pm

Netflix broadcasts have very low sound volume as compared with other services. WHy is it so? It blasts when I turn Mediafly or Pandora after Netflix so badly, everyone jumps.... Is there any way to normalize it?
blocked

Re: inconsistent sound volume

Postby billc124 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:38 pm

blocked wrote:Netflix broadcasts have very low sound volume as compared with other services. WHy is it so? It blasts when I turn Mediafly or Pandora after Netflix so badly, everyone jumps.... Is there any way to normalize it?

There is no volume normalizer, it was suggested by several of us during the beta for the channel store. For now, there is nothing we can do, but hopefully soon.
billc124

Postby kc8pql » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:41 pm

blocked wrote:Netflix broadcasts have very low sound volume as compared with other services. WHy is it so? It blasts when I turn Mediafly or Pandora after Netflix so badly, everyone jumps.... Is there any way to normalize it?

Yeah, that can be a problem. Some of the content providers have higher audio levels than others. Each channel is streaming from their own servers, and doing their own encoding, so it's not something that's controlled by the Roku. Some have suggested some sort of automatic audio leveling, but it's not clear if there's any way the box could do that. Pandora seems to be the loudest.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:49 pm

I use one of these
http://www.smarthome.com/7848T/TV-Volum ... R-1/p.aspx
It is placed at the output of my 6 device AV switch and the volume dynamics stays the same not only on my Roku but on all my devices. It works great.

There are other devices that work for optical but I know of none for HDMI or coax.

Implementing a normalizer through software in the Roku could bring on more problems than it solves. AV sync is hard enough without adding more overhead through software normalization.
Gilgamesh

Postby blocked » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:53 pm

It seems to me at this point that sound volume is a software issue (video player within roku media player), not a channel issue and could be set by roku manufacturers according to the broadcasted sound volume in channels in order to normalize it. It is programmable, even if it is a major hassle to do so.
I can understand when difference is 10-20 percent, but here we are talking about major annoyance.
Otherwise, it is a great addition to Roku player and shows lots of possibilities for the use of this little box.
blocked

Postby maradorno » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and not a technical person.....(so pardon my ignorance etc)

I have the issue of inconsistent volume....if I turn it up loud enough to hear dialog my eardrums are shattered, so to speak, if I don't mute or lower volume quickly enough.

Most posts I see on Google talk about changing the equalizer setting on my laptop, but of course I'm using Roku.

Have any of you stopped using Roku in favor of using a laptop, and had any success in improving the inconsistent sound problem?

Thanks for any help.

Margaret
maradorno

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:19 pm

maradorno wrote:Hi,

I'm new to this forum and not a technical person.....(so pardon my ignorance etc)

I have the issue of inconsistent volume....if I turn it up loud enough to hear dialog my eardrums are shattered, so to speak, if I don't mute or lower volume quickly enough.

Most posts I see on Google talk about changing the equalizer setting on my laptop, but of course I'm using Roku.

Have any of you stopped using Roku in favor of using a laptop, and had any success in improving the inconsistent sound problem?

Thanks for any help.

Margaret

I use one of these to reduce the apparent range of the audio.
http://www.amazon.com/Terk-VR1-Automati ... 275&sr=1-1
Of course that particular device will not work if you are using HDMI for your audio.

I have heard that this one
http://www.amazon.com/International-Con ... 476&sr=1-3
works quite well but I suspect it might have problems with the form of 5.1 that NetFlix uses but, since it reduces the extreme range of much of the audio I doubt that using it while using 5.1 would be a good idea anyway.
Gilgamesh

Postby Crow550 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Roku could add a volume limiter in the options setting. I don't see why not?

Maybe SRS could provide that too along with some other tech they offer to the Roku hardware: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46849

Most not all TVs offer a volume limiter.

My Living Room TV does by SRS Truvolume. However my small TV by my PC and in my Room doesn't.
Crow550

Postby kc8pql » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:26 pm

Crow550 wrote:Roku could add a volume limiter in the options setting. I don't see why not?

Because Roku doesn't have a amplifier. It's just passing through the line level as encoded.
OTA Antenna
"Netflix Player" N1000X
XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X
Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Re:

Postby microlady » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:37 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:I use one of these
It is placed at the output of my 6 device AV switch and the volume dynamics stays the same not only on my Roku but on all my devices. It works great.

There are other devices that work for optical but I know of none for HDMI or coax.

Implementing a normalizer through software in the Roku could bring on more problems than it solves. AV sync is hard enough without adding more overhead through software normalization.

For some reason the link lead me to an error at smarthome.com but I saw it was a VR-1 so I wanted to say I actually have 2 of them, 1 is also hooked to my 6 device AV switch and I agree, it works great. I believe I got mine at MCM Electronics as it was in their catalog. So..add me to the list of satisfied users. Great volume control!
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008
microlady

Re: Re:

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:59 pm

microlady wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:I use one of these

For some reason the link lead me to an error at smarthome.com but I saw it was a VR-1 so I wanted to say I actually have 2 of them, 1 is also hooked to my 6 device AV switch and I agree, it works great. I believe I got mine at MCM Electronics as it was in their catalog. So..add me to the list of satisfied users. Great volume control!

I have no idea where the smarthome.com link came from. Both the links in my post are to Amazon pages.
Gilgamesh

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion