Any News On streaming From Home Network?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Any News On streaming From Home Network?

Postby vinnyv07 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:30 pm

Any word on developing a network streaming ch? I was hoping to hear some news by now. I know there are things being developed behind the scenes. I know playon expressed interest in having about working on a program that would use playon and the roku to stream from a home computer to the tv via the Roku. Is any of this coming?
vinnyv07

bump

Postby nebson » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:13 pm

This is relevant to my interests...
nebson

Re: bump

Postby dellsweig » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:27 am

nebson wrote:This is relevant to my interests...

Also something I would be VERY interested in......
dellsweig

Postby shelleye » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:15 am

Bump.
shelleye

Postby jeffrok » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:24 am

"Bump" two days after the original thread is not going to get an answer..

The Roku guys have never been open on this topic, and they aren't gonna start now.

I'm sure they'd love to have the feature in some form, but they usually don't announce things until they're near their release date.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dellsweig » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:29 am

jeffrok wrote:"Bump" two days after the original thread is not going to get an answer..

The Roku guys have never been open on this topic, and they aren't gonna start now.

I'm sure they'd love to have the feature in some form, but they usually don't announce things until they're near their release date.

Well - if history is any guide..

Roku allowed streaming with the Soundbridge devices - I stream XM from my PC to my Stereo/Soundbridge. They also had support for local media share (media player, itunes) built into the device.
Roku also allowed local content on the Photobridge - you could share your photos from a network share..

The precendent has been set - they have the technology - and most likely any licensing they would need.

I would love to see this level of access added to the DVP devices.....
dellsweig

Postby KennyJ » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:34 am

I'm fairly certain that it will happen via one of the services, such as Orb or PlayOn.

MobileTribe mentioned they are working getting access to Orb through their channel and that they expected the update to be available in a few weeks.

PlayOn mentioned they requested a SDK to begin working on a channel.
KennyJ

Postby shelleye » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:44 am

Thanks, guys. That was quite enough answer for me. :)
shelleye

Postby Burkhardi » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:26 am

KennyJ wrote:I'm fairly certain that it will happen via one of the services, such as Orb or PlayOn.

MobileTribe mentioned they are working getting access to Orb through their channel and that they expected the update to be available in a few weeks.

PlayOn mentioned they requested a SDK to begin working on a channel.

Why over complicate things, if they just had the N-series UPnP friendly and it was able to mount network shares like the PhotoBridge then we would be set for the most part. But I must admit that a XBMC type port (read eye-candy) would be nice though. Is Boxee some sort of spin off of the XBMC code? For that matter, perhaps even Boxee being ported (which I doubt since they now sell hardware (with D-Link)).

Now, I thought Orb let you stream your local content to the outside world (e.g. able to access your music and pictures from your house at work) and PlayOn was to watch shows?

I think most just want to be able to play music from their PC/NAS as well as see picture and play movies (all from ones LAN). Once agian, the whole PhotoBridge idea but in a 2010 format UI.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby KennyJ » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:34 am

Burkhardi wrote:Why over complicate things, if they just had the N-series UPnP friendly and it was able to mount network shares like the PhotoBridge then we would be set for the most part.

To be honest, I don't know much about how all this works, just reporting what I read... but it's possible that it's easier for these services to start a channel than to wait for Roku to make changes to allow them same.

But I must admit that a XBMC type port (read eye-candy) would be nice though. Is Boxee some sort of spin off of the XBMC code? For that matter, perhaps even Boxee being ported (which I doubt since they now sell hardware (with D-Link)).

Boxee is based on XBMC.

Now, I thought Orb let you stream your local content to the outside world (e.g. able to access your music and pictures from your house at work)

It does, but it also lets you stream your content to devices on your network.

and PlayOn was to watch shows?

According to their site, "PlayOn also enables you to stream your personal videos, photos and music from your PC to your Home Entertainment Center. "
KennyJ

Postby jsj123 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:37 pm

I suspect that when we get the SDK it won't be that useful for playing videos on your hard drive. My guess it is going to be more streaming based, and will require some type of server software.

I hope when they release the SDK they also release a open source bare bones server software at the same time, assuming I am correct.

I really want to be to use the roku as a myth client, so I have high hopes for the SDK release

--Stephen
jsj123

Postby vinnyv07 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:14 pm

I was just hoping that someone might have heard some info about development of a ch that allows the users (us) to see the home network. I do have the utmost confidence in the Roku developers. They have added so much so far to this little box. I can't wait to see what they have next for us.
vinnyv07

Postby billc124 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Actually all the recent channels were added by the respective companies. I am sure Roku helped them out but they were actually developed by third parties. I am sure a network streaming thing will be the same. So a third party would probably have to want to do this.
billc124

Postby danstl » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:57 pm

jsj123 wrote:I suspect that when we get the SDK it won't be that useful for playing videos on your hard drive. My guess it is going to be more streaming based, and will require some type of server software.

I hope when they release the SDK they also release a open source bare bones server software at the same time, assuming I am correct.

I really want to be to use the roku as a myth client, so I have high hopes for the SDK release

--Stephen

I think the server could just be a webserver - it appears all the streaming content does get triggered through a webserver. It sends a manifest in XML format that contains information about the file including some licensing stuff (https i believe), and then starts streaming the content (http).

Now I am not positive on any of this - allot of assumptions, and from looking at the linux image from an old 1.x version of the roku software. I cant seem to mount the 2.x software images - I think they are encrypted with a private key combo so until someone (whos smarter then me :) ) can figure out the private key I dont have much else to say...
danstl

Postby nrao1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:27 am

billc124 wrote:Actually all the recent channels were added by the respective companies. I am sure Roku helped them out but they were actually developed by third parties. I am sure a network streaming thing will be the same. So a third party would probably have to want to do this.

Pandora channel was built by Roku
nrao1

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion