Any News On streaming From Home Network?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Postby billc124 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:00 am

nrao1 wrote:
billc124 wrote:Actually all the recent channels were added by the respective companies. I am sure Roku helped them out but they were actually developed by third parties. I am sure a network streaming thing will be the same. So a third party would probably have to want to do this.

Pandora channel was built by Roku

That is the opposite of what I understood was the case. Where did you hear/read that?
billc124

Postby philsoft » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:15 am

billc124 wrote:
nrao1 wrote:
billc124 wrote:Actually all the recent channels were added by the respective companies. I am sure Roku helped them out but they were actually developed by third parties. I am sure a network streaming thing will be the same. So a third party would probably have to want to do this.

Pandora channel was built by Roku

That is the opposite of what I understood was the case. Where did you hear/read that?

If you go into the channel store, and then go into each channel, it says who the developer is. Pandora is one of the channels that lists Roku as the developer, Facebook is another. I haven't paid attention to all of them, but it seems like there were one or two others as well.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby billc124 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks, i have actually never looked at that information.
billc124

WD Mediaplayer with Netflix

Postby rahulgopi » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:11 pm

I hope Roku will bring home network channel ASAP. Western Digital media player is going to introduce Netflix and if that happens earlier I may consider trading my Roku for WD, just for the home network. The simple reason is I only have 3 HDMI on my TV ( 1 for BlueRay , 1 for Comcast and only 1 left for either WD or Roku ). Lot of people are buying WD media player just for the home network. I really hope Roku will introduce this ASAP.
rahulgopi

Re: WD Mediaplayer with Netflix

Postby robertm » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:13 pm

rahulgopi wrote:I hope Roku will bring home network channel ASAP. Western Digital media player is going to introduce Netflix and if that happens earlier I may consider trading my Roku for WD, just for the home network. The simple reason is I only have 3 HDMI on my TV ( 1 for BlueRay , 1 for Comcast and only 1 left for either WD or Roku ). Lot of people are buying WD media player just for the home network. I really hope Roku will introduce this ASAP.

I know I have considered the WD as well but I am holding out hope...
robertm

Postby vinnyv07 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:35 pm

I actually looked at the WD media player and I won't get that unless it does stream Netflix. Streaming Netflix through playon isn't good enough because it doesn't provide the same quality. But if they do introduce a Netflix ch, I would move the Roku to my sons room and buy myself a WD. We will see. I honestly thought that I would be streaming from my home network by now through the Roku. We will see.
vinnyv07

Re: WD Mediaplayer with Netflix

Postby jcmolet » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:12 pm

rahulgopi wrote:I hope Roku will bring home network channel ASAP. Western Digital media player is going to introduce Netflix and if that happens earlier I may consider trading my Roku for WD, just for the home network. The simple reason is I only have 3 HDMI on my TV ( 1 for BlueRay , 1 for Comcast and only 1 left for either WD or Roku ). Lot of people are buying WD media player just for the home network. I really hope Roku will introduce this ASAP.

Why not just use an HDMI switch and keep all of your boxes? I highly recommend the Oppo HM-31.
jcmolet

Postby danstl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:01 pm

vinnyv07 wrote:I actually looked at the WD media player and I won't get that unless it does stream Netflix. Streaming Netflix through playon isn't good enough because it doesn't provide the same quality. But if they do introduce a Netflix ch, I would move the Roku to my sons room and buy myself a WD. We will see. I honestly thought that I would be streaming from my home network by now through the Roku. We will see.

The streaming quality of the Roku is great :) I must admit there are many other devices that can stream Amazon and Netflix, but the Roku for some reason always looks the best.

And in doing some testing using RSS feeds with mediafly that point to a server in my home, streaming video from your local network also looks great, both HDMI and composite.
danstl

Postby campbellwang » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:49 pm

If you look at this post here: http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=24545 you will see the user: eri3k has figured out how to stream local content to the Roku box.
He used an RSS feed to Mediafly.
I tried it and got it working with a webserver running on my PC.
campbellwang

Postby dellsweig » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:40 am

campbellwang wrote:If you look at this post here: http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=24545 you will see the user: eri3k has figured out how to stream local content to the Roku box.

Can someone do an "idiots guide" to streaming my media files (mostly mp3 and wma) from my network share to my RokuHD

:)

Thanks
dellsweig

Postby robertm » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:08 am

danstl wrote:
vinnyv07 wrote:I actually looked at the WD media player and I won't get that unless it does stream Netflix. Streaming Netflix through playon isn't good enough because it doesn't provide the same quality. But if they do introduce a Netflix ch, I would move the Roku to my sons room and buy myself a WD. We will see. I honestly thought that I would be streaming from my home network by now through the Roku. We will see.

The streaming quality of the Roku is great :) I must admit there are many other devices that can stream Amazon and Netflix, but the Roku for some reason always looks the best.

And in doing some testing using RSS feeds with mediafly that point to a server in my home, streaming video from your local network also looks great, both HDMI and composite.

Agreed. I played around with playon to my wii and it is horrible quality. Roku or computer seems to be the best.
robertm

Postby QuantumIguana » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:31 am

It really shouldn't be all that difficult. If the box is capable of playing the files on its own, then all you have to do is to tell the box where on the network the files are, and, if necessary to provide a password. My TV tuner is on my main computer, and I have a computer hooked up to my TV. I play the files on my second computer which is on the wireless network with my main computer.

If the box can't play the files itself, it gets a little more complicated. The box would have to make a request to your PC, and the PC would have to stream it to the Roku. It would involve the creation of "back end" software to run on your PC. Probably not terribly complicated.

You Local Content channel might involve you giving connection information to the Roku. You would tell it the connection information to your PC: PC Name, folder and password. Once that is entered, you would be able to scroll through the titles. When you pick one, the Roku would send a request to your PC for the file. The streaming app on your PC would wake up, and stream the file to the Roku.

The front end on the Roku probably wouldn't be very difficult. The back end probably not too difficult either. I suspect that some enterprising person will figure this out with the SDK.
QuantumIguana

Postby billc124 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:01 pm

dellsweig wrote:
campbellwang wrote:If you look at this post here: http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=24545 you will see the user: eri3k has figured out how to stream local content to the Roku box.

Can someone do an "idiots guide" to streaming my media files (mostly mp3 and wma) from my network share to my RokuHD

:)

Thanks

It isn't even worth the trouble at this point. Just hang tight till it is officially supported.
billc124

Postby robertm » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:31 pm

QuantumIguana wrote:It really shouldn't be all that difficult. If the box is capable of playing the files on its own, then all you have to do is to tell the box where on the network the files are, and, if necessary to provide a password. My TV tuner is on my main computer, and I have a computer hooked up to my TV. I play the files on my second computer which is on the wireless network with my main computer.

If the box can't play the files itself, it gets a little more complicated. The box would have to make a request to your PC, and the PC would have to stream it to the Roku. It would involve the creation of "back end" software to run on your PC. Probably not terribly complicated.

You Local Content channel might involve you giving connection information to the Roku. You would tell it the connection information to your PC: PC Name, folder and password. Once that is entered, you would be able to scroll through the titles. When you pick one, the Roku would send a request to your PC for the file. The streaming app on your PC would wake up, and stream the file to the Roku.

The front end on the Roku probably wouldn't be very difficult. The back end probably not too difficult either. I suspect that some enterprising person will figure this out with the SDK.

I am betting that they will support it themselves pretty soon so they can continue to improve their market. The issue is not whether it can be done but done very simply so any idiot can do it.
robertm

Postby scyber » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:45 pm

robertm wrote:
QuantumIguana wrote:It really shouldn't be all that difficult. If the box is capable of playing the files on its own, then all you have to do is to tell the box where on the network the files are, and, if necessary to provide a password. My TV tuner is on my main computer, and I have a computer hooked up to my TV. I play the files on my second computer which is on the wireless network with my main computer.

I am betting that they will support it themselves pretty soon so they can continue to improve their market. The issue is not whether it can be done but done very simply so any idiot can do it.

One of the biggest problems with making it so "any idiot can do it" is going to be codec & container support. AI is not going to be able to properly understand that his videos from his HD camcorder won't play b/c the Roku doesn't support the codec/bitrate/container/etc. There are so many variations in video encoding that it is very difficult to support them all. And even if it can support them all, it makes testing new firmware that much more complicated. I've seen it with the popcornhour. Every single firmware release there are people complaining that format A still isn't supported, or format B used to work, but now stutters, or format C doesn't support subtitle files, etc..

Transcoding software (like PlayOn or Tversity) reduces the amount of formats that need to be supported, but they also increase the cost and complexity for AI.
scyber

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion