Roku stuck on "software update"

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku stuck on "software update"

Postby andrewsistrand » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:36 pm

My roku worked fine with my wi-fi (airport express) until I added WPA security.

After several attempts to re-connect, it finally seemed to recognize the network, but now it is stuck on "software update". It says "performing the update. Please wait... progress 0%".

It has now been like that for about nine hours.

I called the roku support line twice last night, and after a half-hour wait each time, I was disconnected in the middle of the conversation.

Can anyone please give me some advice?
andrewsistrand

Re: Roku stuck on "software update"

Postby robertm » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:47 pm

andrewsistrand wrote:My roku worked fine with my wi-fi (airport express) until I added WPA security.

After several attempts to re-connect, it finally seemed to recognize the network, but now it is stuck on "software update". It says "performing the update. Please wait... progress 0%".

It has now been like that for about nine hours.

I called the roku support line twice last night, and after a half-hour wait each time, I was disconnected in the middle of the conversation.

Can anyone please give me some advice?

Disconnect the power to the Roku box and leave it off for a moment. Plug it back in and enter the necessary security information in the network setup. The update will start again when the box has been idle for a few hours.
robertm

reply to robertm

Postby andrewsistrand » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:33 am

Robertm,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried many many times to get this thing connected. I have done power resets. Sometimes the roku detects the network, and sometimes not. Twice all three "connect" lights have lit up, but then it's stuck on "software update" again.

This seems like an endless, futile, cycle.

Absolutely no help from Roku on this. I'm very disappointed. If I buy another set, it will NOT be a Roku.
andrewsistrand

Re: reply to robertm

Postby robertm » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:02 am

andrewsistrand wrote:Robertm,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried many many times to get this thing connected. I have done power resets. Sometimes the roku detects the network, and sometimes not. Twice all three "connect" lights have lit up, but then it's stuck on "software update" again.

This seems like an endless, futile, cycle.

Absolutely no help from Roku on this. I'm very disappointed. If I buy another set, it will NOT be a Roku.

Try it plugged directly into the router.
robertm

Re: Roku stuck on "software update"

Postby kc8pql » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:14 am

andrewsistrand wrote:My roku worked fine with my wi-fi (airport express) until I added WPA security.

Or try turning WPA off and see if the box updates. Then turn it back on. If adding WPA is the only change you made, that must be the problem?
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

reply to robertm

Postby andrewsistrand » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:22 pm

I don't have a tv set near the ethernet connection. I've always used an apple extreme base station. The roku worked fine with my wi-fi until I started using WPA security. I have a livio connected with no problem, and my laptop connects with no problem from the same location as the roku box.
andrewsistrand

reply to kc8pql

Postby andrewsistrand » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:24 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'll try updating software with WPA off, and them turn it back on.
andrewsistrand

Postby danstl » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:56 pm

The other question is... encryption: (not sure what the express offers, but here is the lowdown on some of the things you can do... And all can have compatibility issues with certain devices, and or reliability issues with certian access points - once you start cranking the encryption it can put more load on your access point, and well it may not be able to handle it...

WPA-PSK(AES)
WPA-PSK(TKIP)
WPA-PSK(TKIP-AES)

WAP or WPA2 or WPA+WPA2

so many variables :)

WPA-PSK(AES) on WPA not WPA2 should give you the best compatibility.

Many devices HATE WPA+WPA2 configs, and WPA-PSK(TKIP-AES) WPA2.
danstl

reply to danstl

Postby andrewsistrand » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:03 pm

Thanks for the reply, but I don't have any idea what you're talking about.
andrewsistrand

Postby danstl » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:18 pm

When you say I am using "WPA" encryption there are many different flavors/configurations with WPA, and some implementations of certain encryption schemes do not work well from device to device.

Just saying there are many different types of WPA encryption, and the one you have chosen on your router may just not work well with the Roku.
danstl

still stuck

Postby andrewsistrand » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:27 am

Thanks again to everyone who has replied.

I'm still stuck. I disabled network security, and the roku connected twice to the internet, but then the message was "can't connect to roku- contact roku tech support" (Or something to that effect).

What a joke that is! I've been trying to get a response from roku for days, but I can understand that they must be dealing with an avalanche of disgruntled customers, so I must be patient, I guess.

I enabled WPA security again, and again apparently connected to the internet, but once again stuck on "software update".

Oh, wait- not stuck on "software update" anymore. Now it's back to "can't connect to roku. Please try again later. Contact Roku support . . ."

Who is running roku tech support? Ex- bureaucrats from USSR?
andrewsistrand

Postby danstl » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:38 am

Have you tried changing the channel that your access point broadcasts on?

Most wireless access points default to channel 6, and this is also the frequency that has the most interference with other 2.4ghz devices, not to mention if you live in an apartment complex or something there can be allot of channel overlap, that can cause wifi problems. Have you tried using the ethernet connection just to double check that your device is not faulty.
danstl

Postby elorimer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:45 pm

You might start all over with a factory reset, holding in the reset button for however long it takes (15 seconds?), and then starting from scratch with no encryption and no firewall.

If that doesn't work, then you might factory reset again, set it up for a wired connection, turn it off, carry it to the router, plug it into the router and start it up. (I'm thinking it will do its thing even if no one is watching.) Let it sit for a half hour, unplug it, take it back to the TV, and change it back to wireless.

If either of those get you farther, then you can start re-enabling your security.
elorimer

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion