vevo

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

vevo

Postby Village Idiot » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:02 am

is this ever going to be a possibility for Roku ?
I don't know much about vevo except i saw a few videos with it when i tried to use youtube today.
The video quality was great.
Went to the vevo web site and couldn't watch a single video.
Said i had to remove all my ad blockers. I don't even remember how to do that.
Besides i like the ads being blocked so that aint going to happen even if i could.
But i figured if it was viewable from youtube it could be viewable from a Roku.
And unlike Pandora i could actually get the music i specifically wanted not some similar music.
So does anyone have more info on vevo ?
I couldn't even find out the cost of it. Is it FREE ? small fee ? Free but also a members side too ?
Village Idiot

Postby billc124 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:22 am

As far as I know, Vevo is a music video site that is run by YouTube and some music studios. It is free, but ad sponsored so any ad blockers you have will need to be disabled in order to view the videos. If Vevo wanted to make a channel for Roku then they probably would work just fine, it isn't up to Roku though.
billc124

Postby Village Idiot » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:35 am

yeah i agree.
the video worked great out of youtube.
BUT when i went to the vevo web site none of the video's would work.
Not even the ones i saw on youtube.

I don't mind a QUICK ad before or after something.
I hate when people write something all over the videos they put on youtube.
why bother even having a video just scroll your ads on a blank screen with the music playing if that's the case.

Anyway i think vevo would be great for roku
an ad before and/or after a video is ok with me. ( under 2 mins )

there are roku guys here. So guys tell your boss about vevo.
Village Idiot

Postby billc124 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:41 am

It plays a 15 -20 second ad at the beginning, no overlays as far as I know. Again, this isn't up to Roku so even if they "tell their boss about it" there really isn't much they can do other then maybe see if Vevo is interested. Since it is basically an extension of YouTube the same licensing YouTube is looking for might apply, and the studios are also involved so they may want some outrageous fees too? Ultimately it is up to Vevo. If you want a Vevo channel for Roku I suggest contacting them.
billc124

Postby Village Idiot » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:23 am

i did send them an e-mail
i hate calling. Its always some foreign guy whom i can't understand a word of what he is saying.
No offense to foreigners but seriously many of these phone help lines are just impossible.
So i only call as a last resort.
e-mails dont always get a response but hopefully this one will.
Village Idiot

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion