New Roku Player will not buffer

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

New Roku Player will not buffer

Postby bobuhl » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:16 am

Hi,
I am brand new to the Roku player. My Roku player connects to my network fine, and I am able to see the movies in my Netflix queue, however once I select play for any of them all I get is about ¼ of the progress bar during the initial buffering faze and that is it. No matter what movie I try or what time of the day I get this exact same behavior. I have reset the player, disjoined it from Netflix and rejoined it. Put it in the DMZ on my RV042 router tried it both wireless and hard wired. I have tested my bandwidth and am having a good solid 5 MB downstream, and show a quality level of 3 out of 4 dots. I am able to play Netflix movies both wired and wireless on my computers using Silverlight with no issues. But, the Roku player will not buffer and play a move ever. I purchased this as Christmas gifts to work with Netflix but have never been able to even watch one second of anything using the player. I have spent hours on the phone with both Netflix and Roku and no one has been able to help or solve my issue. Also I am a network administrator, so I am not a novice to networks and computers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I send this player back to Roku for a refund.
Robert H Uhl
bobuhl

Postby kc8pql » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:40 am

Can you paly anything else from the channel store? Is the problem just with Netflix?
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Buffer Problem

Postby bobuhl » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:37 am

It is only with netflix that I am having the issue. I can watch other things from the channel store such as blip.tv and Revision3.
Robert H Uhl
bobuhl

Postby RokuMarkn » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:51 am

When you say it gets to 1/4 of the buffering bar "and that's it", what happens at that point? Does it freeze with the buffering stopped at that point? Or does it exit back to the springboard screen? If you send me a PM with your serial number I can see if I can find any clues.

--Mark
RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Postby Linkletter » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:22 pm

RokuMarkn wrote:When you say it gets to 1/4 of the buffering bar "and that's it", what happens at that point? Does it freeze with the buffering stopped at that point? Or does it exit back to the springboard screen? If you send me a PM with your serial number I can see if I can find any clues.

--Mark

I'm having this exact same problem. Everything streams OK except for Netflix. When I add something to my Instant Queue and try to watch it on my Roku player, I get 4 dots for quality and the buffering bar goes about 25 percent of the way across the screen before the whole thing seems to crash. It boots me back to the previous screen with information about the movie on it. Every time I try to view the movie it just boots me right out after the buffering bar progresses a bit.

Mark, I'm going to send you a PM with my serial number. Hopefully this is OK :)
Linkletter

Re: New Roku Player will not buffer

Postby MaryMouse » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:54 pm

bobuhl wrote:Hi,
I am brand new to the Roku player. My Roku player connects to my network fine, and I am able to see the movies in my Netflix queue, however once I select play for any of them all I get is about ¼ of the progress bar during the initial buffering faze and that is it. No matter what movie I try or what time of the day I get this exact same behavior. I have reset the player, disjoined it from Netflix and rejoined it. Put it in the DMZ on my RV042 router tried it both wireless and hard wired. I have tested my bandwidth and am having a good solid 5 MB downstream, and show a quality level of 3 out of 4 dots. I am able to play Netflix movies both wired and wireless on my computers using Silverlight with no issues. But, the Roku player will not buffer and play a move ever. I purchased this as Christmas gifts to work with Netflix but have never been able to even watch one second of anything using the player. I have spent hours on the phone with both Netflix and Roku and no one has been able to help or solve my issue. Also I am a network administrator, so I am not a novice to networks and computers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I send this player back to Roku for a refund.

:roll: My Internet connection speed is 2MB and I get 4 stars, you have someother issues ie security not uptodate I don't mean virus software check for malware!
Mary Mouse
MaryMouse

Postby kc8pql » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:17 pm

Forget the oversize font. It's almost as annoying as all caps.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby robertm » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:56 pm

robertm

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion