Adult Content on Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Adult Content on Roku

Postby TucsonTumbleweed » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:58 am

Not sure how big of a market there will be here but apparently the option to access (password protected) porn is coming to the Roku according to:

http://www.xbiznewswire.com/view.php?id=115832
TucsonTumbleweed
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:00 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Postby kc8pql » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:06 pm

Subscribers to any participating adult website simply perform a one-time registration of their player. The EroticVision.TV application appears on the Roku Digital Video Player, which features parental controls to restrict access to adults only.

Shouldn't be an issue as it seems you have to be a subscriber to a participating site before it will show up on the player.
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 8199
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Postby TucsonTumbleweed » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Didnt say it would be an issue although I could see possibly some backlash from some quarters. I will likely not purchase this but think its great that more channels are on their way. Indieflix.com is apparently working on a channel as well.
TucsonTumbleweed
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:00 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Postby robertm » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:30 pm

At least they are being responsible about it. There are no safeguards on Netflix or Amazon.
robertm
 
Posts: 2640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Postby TucsonTumbleweed » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:31 pm

robertm wrote:At least they are being responsible about it. There are no safeguards on Netflix or Amazon.


I didnt think that there was adult content (X rated) on Netflix (I dont use Amazon)
TucsonTumbleweed
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:00 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Postby robertm » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:36 pm

TucsonTumbleweed wrote:
robertm wrote:At least they are being responsible about it. There are no safeguards on Netflix or Amazon.


I didnt think that there was adult content (X rated) on Netflix (I dont use Amazon)


Last I heard many parents didn't want their kids viewing R rated movies either.
robertm
 
Posts: 2640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Postby kc8pql » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:36 pm

The box is capable of members only, limited access channels. This is the first public example of that. I remember some screen shots from last winter that showed a Re-Max Reality training channel.
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 8199
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Postby jcmolet » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:41 pm

I hope it isn't true. While I personally don't have a problem with porn - plus I don't have any kids in the house - I don't think this is the kind of content that should be drawing attention to the Roku DVP. At this point in their growth cycle, what Roku needs is another prime time premium channel or two. Roku would probably be a lot better served if the near-future headlines read "Roku DVP adds -insert premium provider name here - to channel lineup" and not, "Roku DVP adds EroticVision.TV to channel lineup."
jcmolet
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:11 pm
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

Postby robertm » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:48 pm

jcmolet wrote:I hope it isn't true. While I personally don't have a problem with porn - plus I don't have any kids in the house - I don't think this is the kind of content that should be drawing attention to the Roku DVP. At this point in their growth cycle, what Roku needs is another prime time premium channel or two. Roku would probably be a lot better served if the near-future headlines read "Roku DVP adds -insert premium provider name here - to channel lineup" and not, "Roku DVP adds EroticVision.TV to channel lineup."



Porn is not my thing, if anything, I find it unerotic but it is a billion dollar industry. There are probably not that many people who wanted to buy a Roku JUST for the new channels they have recently added but people will buy them for porn.
robertm
 
Posts: 2640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Postby billc124 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:57 pm

Didn't someone from Roku say that they had no interest in providing that kind of content on the player? Guess money is tight and they made them a deal they couldn't refuse.
billc124
 

Postby TucsonTumbleweed » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:59 pm

jcmolet wrote:I hope it isn't true. While I personally don't have a problem with porn - plus I don't have any kids in the house - I don't think this is the kind of content that should be drawing attention to the Roku DVP. At this point in their growth cycle, what Roku needs is another prime time premium channel or two. Roku would probably be a lot better served if the near-future headlines read "Roku DVP adds -insert premium provider name here - to channel lineup" and not, "Roku DVP adds EroticVision.TV to channel lineup."


The new channel isnt mentioned at alll on the roku website but http://www.eroticvision.tv/ has instructions and an access code for adding the channel to the roku
TucsonTumbleweed
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:00 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Postby billc124 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:04 pm

TucsonTumbleweed wrote:
jcmolet wrote:I hope it isn't true. While I personally don't have a problem with porn - plus I don't have any kids in the house - I don't think this is the kind of content that should be drawing attention to the Roku DVP. At this point in their growth cycle, what Roku needs is another prime time premium channel or two. Roku would probably be a lot better served if the near-future headlines read "Roku DVP adds -insert premium provider name here - to channel lineup" and not, "Roku DVP adds EroticVision.TV to channel lineup."


The new channel isnt mentioned at alll on the roku website but http://www.eroticvision.tv/ has instructions and an access code for adding the channel to the roku


None of the links work for me. Just that stupid video. Maybe they are jumping the gun and took down the links already? I get a 404 going to the register page.

http://www.eroticvision.tv/register/

If they can't get that right, I am sorry for anyone who signs up for this service.
billc124
 

Postby TucsonTumbleweed » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:05 pm

billc124 wrote:
TucsonTumbleweed wrote:
jcmolet wrote:I hope it isn't true. While I personally don't have a problem with porn - plus I don't have any kids in the house - I don't think this is the kind of content that should be drawing attention to the Roku DVP. At this point in their growth cycle, what Roku needs is another prime time premium channel or two. Roku would probably be a lot better served if the near-future headlines read "Roku DVP adds -insert premium provider name here - to channel lineup" and not, "Roku DVP adds EroticVision.TV to channel lineup."


The new channel isnt mentioned at alll on the roku website but http://www.eroticvision.tv/ has instructions and an access code for adding the channel to the roku


None of the links work for me. Just that stupid video. Maybe they are jumping the gun and took down the links already? I get a 404 going to the register page.

http://www.eroticvision.tv/register/

If they can't get that right, I am sorry for anyone who signs up for this service.



yeah me too........it was working about 30 minutes ago!
TucsonTumbleweed
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:00 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Postby jcmolet » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:26 pm

If this is true, and EroticVision.TV is the newewst Roku channel, I am pretty certain that tech news sites like Engadget, Gizmodo, etc. will pick up on it soon. As I said before, I think that would be unfortuante as I don't think that is the kind of headline Roku needs at this point...or perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe there is a large group of new consumers that were on the fence considering the Roku and now they are ready to buy.
jcmolet
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:11 pm
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

Postby kc8pql » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:47 pm

TucsonTumbleweed wrote:Didnt say it would be an issue although I could see possibly some backlash from some quarters.

You bet. You weren't here for the ten or fifteen page threads complaining about "How to Make a Hot Girl Laugh" in the free section on Amazon.
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 8199
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Heyitsrick, vnazario and 11 guests