Having streaming problems with low dots? Try Namebench

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Having streaming problems with low dots? Try Namebench

Postby tombonneau » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:02 pm

So I've been having problems on and off with the Roku as far as dropping to 2 dots. Seems to drop for weeks, then I'll have weeks of 4 dots and so on and so forth.

Best results I've had is switching DNSs sometimes, unplugging the Roku & router, and then starting back up.

Was doing with OpenDNS and had two DNS servers working well then they went bunk.

Anyway, I read about a service called Namebench on Lifehacker which is just a small program and you install then it looks at your location and after a few minutes of testing spits out your optimal DNS servers based on speed.

I ran it, showed me that my OpenDNS servers were indeed not optimal and I switched to their recommended servers. Knock on wood I've been good for the last week.

If you're having streaming problems, I suggest you try the same. You can just google them and I'm sure it will come up.

Just thought I'd pass it along, as I know I've come to this forum in the past frustrated with streaming problems and hopefully this helps you out. :)
tombonneau

Re: Having streaming problems with low dots? Try Namebench

Postby robertm » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:08 am

tombonneau wrote:So I've been having problems on and off with the Roku as far as dropping to 2 dots. Seems to drop for weeks, then I'll have weeks of 4 dots and so on and so forth.

Best results I've had is switching DNSs sometimes, unplugging the Roku & router, and then starting back up.

Was doing with OpenDNS and had two DNS servers working well then they went bunk.

Anyway, I read about a service called Namebench on Lifehacker which is just a small program and you install then it looks at your location and after a few minutes of testing spits out your optimal DNS servers based on speed.

I ran it, showed me that my OpenDNS servers were indeed not optimal and I switched to their recommended servers. Knock on wood I've been good for the last week.

If you're having streaming problems, I suggest you try the same. You can just google them and I'm sure it will come up.

Just thought I'd pass it along, as I know I've come to this forum in the past frustrated with streaming problems and hopefully this helps you out. :)

All it does is crash my system.
robertm

Postby bingo » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:00 am

Try going into the secret screen and choose 3.5 instead of automatic. If I remember it's click home 5 times, rewind 3 times and Fast Forward 2 times in steady smooth clicks. I do this everytime the roku reboots because of an update or a power failure at my house because the roku doesn't work well with auto set, for me anyway. I never have trouble after I force the stream. Give it a try.
bingo

Postby robertm » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:30 am

bingo wrote:Try going into the secret screen and choose 3.5 instead of automatic. If I remember it's click home 5 times, rewind 3 times and Fast Forward 2 times in steady smooth clicks. I do this everytime the roku reboots because of an update or a power failure at my house because the roku doesn't work well with auto set, for me anyway. I never have trouble after I force the stream. Give it a try.

That only works if you have 1 roku box. If you have multiple and you set them up that way buffering and rebuffering will take forever.
robertm

Postby bingo » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:11 pm

I have 2 boxes at my house both with a fixed 3.5 stream and buffering takes 15 seconds and it never rebuffers.
bingo

Postby tombonneau » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:00 pm

Just wanted to bump this as I dropped to 2 dots last night. Ran Namebench again, turns out my DNS was superslow and it recommended another that was 3000% faster. Sure enough after changing my DNS and resetting my Roku, I was back up to 4 dots.
tombonneau

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion