NBA League Pass and NFL Football

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

NBA League Pass and NFL Football

Postby skeeter1 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:03 am

I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if my search didn't turn up much on this subject. I love the idea of being able to get sports channels "on demand". MLB.com is a great start, but can we also get NBA "League Pass" and NFL football (Sunday, Monday night and Thursday night)?

Great channels on the Roku so far, just always looking for more.

Happy Holidays one and all.

PS - I bought 3 Rokus HD XR players for Xmas gifts....Looks like I'm hooked!
skeeter1

Postby scyber » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:28 am

Ultimately the decision to put out content is up to the content providers. So your queries should really go to the NFL and/or the NBA.

As for the NFL, I doubt you'd get all of the Sunday, Monday, & Thursday games on the Roku. Primarily b/c the rights to those games are controlled by 5 different companies:

- FOX & CBS have sunday afternoon games
- NBC has sunday night games
- ESPN has MNF
- NFL Network has the Thursday games

So to get all of the games it would require all of those companies to agree to provide the content.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL network tries to push their content directly to the subscriber via the internet. NFL network is still not carried by 2 major cable companies (Cablevision & TWC), so they might try internet delivery to get around them. But there is no guarantee that the Roku would be used by them.
scyber

Postby robertm » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:02 pm

scyber wrote:That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL network tries to push their content directly to the subscriber via the internet. NFL network is still not carried by 2 major cable companies (Cablevision & TWC), so they might try internet delivery to get around them. But there is no guarantee that the Roku would be used by them.

Not going to happen anytime soon. Only Direct TV is allowed to distribute games inside the US to markets where the local channels are not carrying them. This includes the internet. The NFL and Direct TV just renewed their agreement.

The NFL does distribute the games on their website AFTER all the games have been played for a fee.

So yes we may get the NFL but it will not be live as long as they keep renewing their contract with Direct TV.

Most sports fans (myself included) despise watching recorded games so unless Roku can distribute local HD channels it will not be an answer that we can live with.
robertm

Postby scyber » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:29 pm

robertm wrote:
scyber wrote:That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL network tries to push their content directly to the subscriber via the internet. NFL network is still not carried by 2 major cable companies (Cablevision & TWC), so they might try internet delivery to get around them. But there is no guarantee that the Roku would be used by them.

Not going to happen anytime soon. Only Direct TV is allowed to distribute games inside the US to markets where the local channels are not carrying them. This includes the internet. The NFL and Direct TV just renewed their agreement.

I wasn't talking about all of the NFL content, I was talking about the NFL Network content specifically (Preseason, Thursday night games and other shows). I don't think DirectTV has the exclusives rights to that the content since it is a "national" game (like SNF & MNF).
scyber

Postby jcmolet » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:43 am

I have sent an email on NBA.com to suggest they develop a channel for the Roku, similar to MLB. If anyone else would be interested in an NBA channel, make the request at their site;

http://www.nba.com/email_us/contact_us.html
jcmolet

Re: NBA League Pass and NFL Football

Postby NCSaint » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:26 am

Bumping this thread in hopes that NFL preseason pass and game rewind are compatible and available on Roku? Anyone know? Thanks.
NCSaint

Postby scyber » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:13 am

NCSaint wrote:Bumping this thread in hopes that NFL preseason pass and game rewind are compatible and available on Roku? Anyone know? Thanks.

No one knows. Any public announcement would be big news and would probably be posted everywhere on the net, so I don't think you missed anything.

Note that if something was being developed, it is possible that it was put on hold this year due to the labor uncertainties in the NFL. No one knew when/if the season was going to even start.
scyber

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:13 am

I do not know when the near exclusive contract that the NFL has/had with DirecTV will/has run out but that contract prevented most other systems from carrying the games in any form.

I do not know about pre-season but I would think those games are not going to be available either.

I think there is/was an NFL ch that carries the highlights and statistics but that is all I remember it carrying.

The NBA does have a ch on the Roku. I do not know how complete it is either.

First let me say that I am not a fan of the armored Sumo wrestling that goes by the guise of American football but I have noticed that, around the world, large sports businesses tend to be very reluctant to open new markets unless they are absolutely convinced that those new markets will be profitable and they also tend to be VERY restrictive in their application and development of the rules related to their content.

If an NFL ch is in the works the odds are that you will not know about it until it is released but I doubt we will see one in the near future. Of course I could be wrong. The MLS, a much smaller market, went to a restrictive streaming system several years ago about three years before I thought they would but, so far, that system is still quite cheap. As it has grown we have seen the price increase and the restrictions escalate and there are rumors of a more restrictive and expensive system next year.

I hope I am wrong about the NFL if for no other reason than they are the most popular sports league in the US and where they lead others will follow and we really need sports in this country to keep the masses in line just like Ancient Rome used gladiator contests to keep their people in line.
Gilgamesh

Postby NCSaint » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:22 am

scyber wrote:
NCSaint wrote:Bumping this thread in hopes that NFL preseason pass and game rewind are compatible and available on Roku? Anyone know? Thanks.

No one knows. Any public announcement would be big news and would probably be posted everywhere on the net, so I don't think you missed anything.

Note that if something was being developed, it is possible that it was put on hold this year due to the labor uncertainties in the NFL. No one knew when/if the season was going to even start.

Hey thanks...will keep my fingers crossed.
NCSaint

Postby yragha » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:17 am

Gilgamesh wrote:The NBA does have a ch on the Roku. I do not know how complete it is either.

I see it's listed as NBA Gametime, but how do you add it? Their is no code.
yragha

Postby nushmut » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:54 am

yragha wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:The NBA does have a ch on the Roku. I do not know how complete it is either.

It should be in the channel store. If it's not there, the NBA may have pulled it off since it's the offseason.
Roku XDS, AppleTV 3rd Gen
15mbps on TWC, DIR-615 Router (wifi-N to Roku)
Panasonic P42ST30 HDTV & BD-85 Blu-ray Player
Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1 system

Paid services:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+, season passes, MLB.tv, IW Browser Roksbox
nushmut

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:05 pm

nushmut wrote:
yragha wrote:

It should be in the channel store. If it's not there, the NBA may have pulled it off since it's the offseason.

It is not there at this time. I guess it will show up when the season gets close.
Gilgamesh

Postby yragha » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Anyone remember what the price was for the season?
yragha

Postby biggyv » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:58 am

Figured I'd bump this with today's news. Can someone confirm that the NBA Gametime channel allows those with the broadband League Pass to watch live games on the Roku?
biggyv

Postby DaBronx » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:09 pm

biggyv wrote:Figured I'd bump this with today's news. Can someone confirm that the NBA Gametime channel allows those with the broadband League Pass to watch live games on the Roku?

Last season you could watch the NBA League Pass package on the Roku.

No word on cost for the upcoming season that is looking like a Christmas day start but you can register your email on the NBA website for information when available, http://www.nba.com/home/leaguepass/index.html.

Good news for hoops fans today.

Peace

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 (still in factory sealed box), Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion