Netflix Subscription Required

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Netflix Subscription Required

Postby twowheelchopper » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:12 am

WIth the additional channels on the Roku, are you forced to have a Netflix subscription? Will it run with out purchasing one?
twowheelchopper

Re: Netflix Subscription Required

Postby jcmolet » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:34 am

twowheelchopper wrote:WIth the additional channels on the Roku, are you forced to have a Netflix subscription? Will it run with out purchasing one?

I don't believe you will need a Netflix account for the player to work; particularly since it is no longer the "Roku Netflix Player". I am assuming you are considering a purchase and don't yet have a device. The easiest thing to do is contact Roku support. I would suspect you will get an answer shortly:

http://www.roku.com/support/contact
jcmolet

Postby Gregintosh » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:22 am

I believe you could always use the other ROKU features without Netflix, such as Amazon and MLB.TV, and now the other channels too.

But without Netflix, you are really limiting your viewing options. At $8.99 a month ($10.99 with blu-ray), Netflix is a bargain given the amount of online content you can get for it, not to mention the DVDs in the mail is an added bonus.

If you do not plan on having Netflix, I would probably wait until ROKU has official support for its built in USB drive (on the HD|XR), network streaming support from your home network, and Hulu or a few other content providers.

This way you will have a few more things to watch without having to either pay per movie/episode (like via Amazon) or be stuck watching podcasts only.

On the other hand if you just can't wait to try it, go for it but get the HD XR version since it has the USB port (which no doubt means that plugging external storage devices is definitely coming).
Gregintosh

Postby twowheelchopper » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:58 am

Thanks all, I actually have one (1 year now) and just bought one for my dad last month. I just ask in case down the road he cancels his subscription, will turn into a brick? I am hearing he uses Amazon, Pandora, and CNET the most.
twowheelchopper

Postby KennyJ » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:09 am

I can't imagine why you would need a Netflix subscription for the box to work. That doesn't make any sense.

I'm 99.99% sure you don't need a Netflix sub.
KennyJ

Postby RebelElvis10 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:15 am

You don't need a netflix subscription. I cancelled mine because I am soon moving and will start it again when I get a chance. Of course watch instantly does not work now through netflix for me, but all the other channels do. Merry Christmas everyone!
RebelElvis10

Postby jcmolet » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:27 am

KennyJ wrote:I can't imagine why you would need a Netflix subscription for the box to work. That doesn't make any sense.

I'm 99.99% sure you don't need a Netflix sub.

I believe at one time, activating your Netflix account was part of the initial setup procedure. Again, that makes sense considering it was the Roku Netflix Player. However, like you, I have to believe that maintaining a Netflix account is no longer required.

Page 18 of the Roku manual (the original probably) shows that at one time establishing the Netflix account was part of the setup.

http://www.wigix.com/index.php/skuacces ... Manual.pdf
jcmolet

Postby KennyJ » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:45 am

It looks like RebelElvis confirmed it's not needed.
KennyJ

Postby MoonChaser » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:11 am

Also considering that removing Netflix completely from your lineup via the Channel Store is possible, this proves that a sub is not required.
MoonChaser

Postby TaylorH » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:34 am

That's correct. A Netflix subscription is not required. It was when the product first came out as Netflix was the only thing it did. However as of releasing Amazon Video On Demand support in December 2008, Netflix was no longer required. You could use it for AVOD only if you chose to, and likewise with MLB.com that was introduced in 2009.

Netflix remains one of the most popular channels since it's a great value and the service is unlimited, but you can use it exclusively with any of the available channels. No subscriptions are required.

http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store
TaylorH

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:01 am

RokuTaylor is correct. Netflix is a great bargain. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to have the Roku without Netflix. Even if you got the Roku for MLB, the extra content available for $120 a YEAR is well worth it. I used to pay more than that for two moths of cable.
BoloMKXXVIII

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion