How do I connect via HDMI?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

How do I connect via HDMI?

Postby BanjoTango » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:22 pm

I have a Roku XR and am having trouble getting it to work with HDMI.

It works OK with the Red / White / Yellow connectors packed in, but after plugging in the HDMI cable and changing the input on the TV, I just get "no signal".

It's definitely not a problem with the TV or the cable - I can set it to our Cable Box and everything works fine - and if I unplug that same HDMI cable from the cable box and connect it to our Roku, the TV just displays "No Signal."

I tried finding a setting in the player itself to manually specify HDMI out, but there doesn't seem to be an option... and I can't find anything in the FAQs. Help!
BanjoTango

Postby jcmolet » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:33 pm

Are you going directly from the Roku to your television? If so, make sure that the 2nd HDMI port (I'm assuming you are using the 1st for cable TV), is active. Some televisions require you to go into your settings menu and activate that input. What model is your TV?
jcmolet

Postby Mark12547 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:40 pm

Red White Yellow = Right Audio, Left Audio, Composite 480i.

HDMI has audio and, typically for the Roku box, 720p video.

The earlier HD TVs could do 1080i, but not 720p; 1080 interlaced required less processing power in the TV than 720 progressive.

Another possibility is problems with the initial handshaking.

Can you verify that your TV does 720p?

If your TV can update its software, have you tried updating the software on the TV? (The software in HDMI devices sometimes get tweaked in the area of handshaking.)

By the way, any time the Roku Box is on, it producing signal on all outputs. So, if the composite video is producing a signal, the HDMI port is also producing a signal. There is a setting on the Roku Box (Home >> Settings >> Display Type) for "HDTV" (output video is 720p) as well as "4:3 standard" and "16:9 anamorphic", but all three settings are suppose to produce output to the HDMI port, at least enough to read the menus. Ideally, though, if one has a HDTV that handles 720p and is connecting the TV via a HDMI cable, one would use "HDTV".
Mark12547

Postby BanjoTango » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:52 pm

It's a Toshiba Regza 52LX177 - it'll do 720p, but I'm not sure about the software update.

There's no easy way for us update the software unfortunately (it looks like the TV doesn't have WiFi) and the modem is in another room. The current firmware says it was updated in Sept, 2007 - is this handshaking issue something that would be only affect older software / sets?

I've tried it on other HDMI ports as well - there's no feature to disable / enable the ports, but they'll work with other devices (Cable Box, PS3).
BanjoTango

Postby dnelms » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:28 pm

BanjoTango wrote:It's a Toshiba Regza 52LX177 - it'll do 720p, but I'm not sure about the software update.

There's no easy way for us update the software unfortunately (it looks like the TV doesn't have WiFi) and the modem is in another room. The current firmware says it was updated in Sept, 2007 - is this handshaking issue something that would be only affect older software / sets?

I've tried it on other HDMI ports as well - there's no feature to disable / enable the ports, but they'll work with other devices (Cable Box, PS3).

Look for a USB port... that's how my Philips is updated. I had to download update and install it. Check your manual and it should tell you if it can be updated.
dnelms

Re: How do I connect via HDMI?

Postby jcmolet » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:35 pm

BanjoTango wrote:I have a Roku XR and am having trouble getting it to work with HDMI.

It works OK with the Red / White / Yellow connectors packed in, but after plugging in the HDMI cable and changing the input on the TV, I just get "no signal".

It's definitely not a problem with the TV or the cable - I can set it to our Cable Box and everything works fine - and if I unplug that same HDMI cable from the cable box and connect it to our Roku, the TV just displays "No Signal."

I tried finding a setting in the player itself to manually specify HDMI out, but there doesn't seem to be an option... and I can't find anything in the FAQs. Help!

From page 75 of your manual. While the Roku is not a "legacy" device, you could try changing these settings:

Using the HDMI settings feature
This menu consists of the following 3 items (new HDMI
capabilities) and will be grayed out on non-HDMI inputs.
Some HDMI legacy sources may not work properly with your
HDMI TV, please try setting the following three options (Lip-
Sync Latency, Deep Color, and xvYCC) to Off. Adjusting
these settings should allow your HDMI legacy source to
operate properly with your TV.
• Lip-Sync Latency: On
This option activates an auto audio/video display timing
adjustment function that allows HDMI source devices to
accurately perform synchronization automatically.
• Deep Color: On
This feature allows to HDMI source to increase available
colors bits within the boundaries defined by the RGB or
YCbCr color space.
• xvYCC: On
This feature expands the acceptable color range (limits) in
the HDMI signals, then allows sending wider color signals
from HDMI source.
All above HDMI settings need proper HDMI source device.
If HDMI source products does not support these features,
the TV may not work properly by activating these features.
Note: If your HDMI connection is capable of 1080p and/or
your TV is capable of refresh rates greater than 60Hz or
supports Deep Color, you will need a Category 2 cable.
Conventional HDMI/DVI cables may not work properly with this
mode.
To set the HDMI Settings:
1 Select the appropriate HDMI input mode (HDMI 1,
HDMI 2, or HDMI 3).
2 Press Y and open the Setup menu.
3 Highlight HDMI Settings and press T.
4 Press B or b to highlight the item you want to set.
5 Press C or c to select On or Off .
6 To save the new settings, highlight Done and press T.
To revert to
jcmolet

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion