Cannot Connect to Local Network - Sometimes!

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Cannot Connect to Local Network - Sometimes!

Postby techsponge » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:05 pm

I just got the Roku and I am trying to setup the device. The first time I tried setting it up with a direct ethernet connections. The Roku would not find the local network. The connection is fine because I just unplugged it from a device that was working. No matter what I tried it would not find the local network. So I decided to try Wireless. I connected fine it did a software update and rebooted and then it will find the wireless but will not connect to the local network. Tried rebooting, restarting the router, etc will not work. Just to try one last thing I plug in the ethernet it works this time. It does another software update and reboots and guess what? It does not find the local network again. This time I cannot get it to work either way, wired or wireless. My route does see the device and I have tried it hard code the IP but it will not work. My router is a Netgear WNR854T. I am going to try support but wanted to try the forums to. My preference is the use the wired port. Is there something that I need to do on my router?
techsponge

Wish I had better news, but...

Postby R.C. » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:41 pm

...I am getting exactly the same problem.

I think their firmware upgrade is messed up; I hope they fix it soon.

Mine is the same deal as yours: New box, connects fine, downloads firmware upgrade, restarts, then can't connect any more.

More specifically, it DOES connect to my wireless N router (a Belkin, listed as compatible), finds my wireless network SSID, and displays it. It then connects to the wireless network (first green light) but fails to connect to the second one (local network) every time.

So, I press the little "reset" button for 30 seconds to get it to refresh the Roku's factory defaults.

After that, it connects again perfectly. But the first thing it does after connecting is download the bad firmware upgrade again, after which, every time, it can no longer connect to the local network (second green light).

C'mon Roku, this is pretty silly. Get the firmware right, or else give us an option to NOT upgrade it automatically!
R.C.

Re: Wish I had better news, but...

Postby philsoft » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:40 pm

R.C. wrote:C'mon Roku, this is pretty silly. Get the firmware right, or else give us an option to NOT upgrade it automatically!

The firmware is not your issue exactly There may be an issue between your hardware and the firmware, but that doesn't make it the fault of the firmware. Especially since there are many thousands of us that are not having any problems.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

can't connect to your local network NOW I CAN

Postby cwb » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:21 pm

well I am having the same problem. Gave it to my husband for christmas and spent hours trying to get it to work. It finds and connects, updates software and then "can't connect to your local network" try again. I spent hours on the phone with their tech support. They sent out a new unit, but I still have the same problem.
So tonight I finally moved it and a portable TV into the same room as the router (VERIZON FIOS actiontec M1424-WR REV E). No luck either wired or wireless.

WAIT, after trying wireless and then wired, I decided to go back into the router and check the settings that the tech had me change to see if they stayed changed. I couldn't remember the MAC address so back to the ROKU and tried again to set it up wireless to once more time get the "can't connect" message to get the MAC address. IT WORKED this time. So I moved it back into the other room with the regular TV and it is still working as I type.
SO DON"T GIVE UP. I certainly can't explain it, I did not do anything differently except to try it wireless, then wired and back to wireless. None of the first 2 times worked but the 3rd time did.
cwb

Re: Cannot Connect to Local Network - Sometimes!

Postby MaryMouse » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:29 pm

techsponge wrote:I just got the Roku and I am trying to setup the device. The first time I tried setting it up with a direct ethernet connections. The Roku would not find the local network. The connection is fine because I just unplugged it from a device that was working. No matter what I tried it would not find the local network. So I decided to try Wireless. I connected fine it did a software update and rebooted and then it will find the wireless but will not connect to the local network. Tried rebooting, restarting the router, etc will not work. Just to try one last thing I plug in the ethernet it works this time. It does another software update and reboots and guess what? It does not find the local network again. This time I cannot get it to work either way, wired or wireless. My route does see the device and I have tried it hard code the IP but it will not work. My router is a Netgear WNR854T. I am going to try support but wanted to try the forums to. My preference is the use the wired port. Is there something that I need to do on my router?

There is a IP conflict with the ROKU and your other devices on the system.
How many IP addreses will your router provide? You can change the default IP of the ROKU or your router, most routers are 192.168.1.1.
:roll:
Mary Mouse
MaryMouse

Postby KennyJ » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:58 pm

MaryMouse wrote:
How many IP addreses will your router provide? You can change the default IP of the ROKU or your router, most routers are 192.168.1.1.

I don't know how the large font appears on your side, but it's kinda annoying on this end.
KennyJ

Postby MaryMouse » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:52 am

KennyJ wrote:
MaryMouse wrote:

I don't know how the large font appears on your side, but it's kinda annoying on this end.

Did your read the fix or just looking at FONTS
Mary Mouse
MaryMouse

Postby KennyJ » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:35 am

MaryMouse wrote:
KennyJ wrote:
MaryMouse wrote:

Did your read the fix or just looking at FONTS

What does that have to do with the fact that you were using an unnecessarily large font? I wasn't commenting on your advice, just your method of providing it.
KennyJ

Same Problem Here = Change IP of Roku?

Postby vammo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:39 pm

I changed my router's IP address and power cycled everything. It worked for a bit then dropped connection...wife says this has been happening all day.

For a moment there. I was getting some IP conflicts between my wired computer and my wireless Roku...only one was working. This has never happened and coincided with the new firmware.

For those of you saying that we shouldn't complain because this isn't happening to you...why are you on here? Either help, chime in that you have the same problem, or report no problem since the last firmware update (or maybe you just haven't gotten the firmware update yet?)

I've got a Belkin Wireless N+ Router with latest firmware and a Roku player with the latest firmware. Signal strength is steady, no conflicting channels, yet even when the Roku works we're not getting full bars from netflix's picture quality meter and the connection drops...though it hasn't recently.
vammo

Re: Same Problem Here = Change IP of Roku?

Postby philsoft » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:07 pm

vammo wrote:For those of you saying that we shouldn't complain because this isn't happening to you...why are you on here?

That is not what was said...Read again.
philsoft

??

Postby vammo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:25 pm

Again, why are you posting? Did you upgrade your firmware this week on your roku? What router are you using? I might have missed your intent but only because of how vague it was...Trolls post without contributing. Do you need some food, are you providing bait, or do you just like to defend the Roku player in your spare time?

I'm still having the issues, btw...which is why I am on here. If anyone knows what is up. I can connect to the wireless, can't connect to the network or the internet.

Thanks in advance for any solutions you can provide
vammo

Re: ??

Postby philsoft » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:32 pm

vammo wrote:Again, why are you posting? Did you upgrade your firmware this week on your roku? What router are you using? I might have missed your intent but only because of how vague it was...Trolls post without contributing. Do you need some food, are you providing bait, or do you just like to defend the Roku player in your spare time?

I'm still having the issues, btw...which is why I am on here. If anyone knows what is up. I can connect to the wireless, can't connect to the network or the internet.

My posts are in response to snotty attitudes (someone else), and being accused of saying something I didn'tsay (you). I have helped a lot of people with the same symptoms you are describing, and there are several things I would recommend trying in your situation, but you do not make me want to help you.
philsoft

Re: ??

Postby KennyJ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:55 pm

vammo wrote:Again, why are you posting? Did you upgrade your firmware this week on your roku? What router are you using? I might have missed your intent but only because of how vague it was...Trolls post without contributing. Do you need some food, are you providing bait, or do you just like to defend the Roku player in your spare time?

Your posts certainly aren't going to win over people to want to help you!
KennyJ

Don't Worry

Postby vammo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:57 pm

After my first experience on here I won't be coming back.

The one person to remotely propose a solution got slammed for her font.

Wow.
vammo

Re: Don't Worry

Postby philsoft » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:00 pm

vammo wrote:After my first experience on here I won't be coming back.

The one person to remotely propose a solution got slammed for her font.

Wow.

Sorry to hear that, I am still willing to help you, but not with the attitude that you are presenting. Be cool, and ask nicely for help. I have no other reason for being here, other then wanting to help people who need help and are nice
philsoft

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion