Roku on multiple TV's

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

Roku on multiple TV's

Postby username » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:35 pm

I have two TV's that I would like to use the Netflix via Roku setup on. One for the small TV in the living room for music, or occasional cartoons for the kids - the other for the more serious set up in the theater. Neither of them are Wi-Fi, or otherwise web-enabled.

Do I need two separate players, etc? If so, can they run simultaneously with different content (i.e. Pandora music on one, and Netflix movie on another)?
username

Postby jeffrok » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:15 pm

First thing I would do is to buy a Wifi router.. They're worth the $40 investment.

Secondly, if you want different content on each boz simultaeously, you'll want to buy two Roku DVP's.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby username » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:47 pm

Thanks Jeff,

If I do the two separate boxes, I assume they would 'both' have to be the HD-XR type, in conjunction with the Wi-Fi Router. Otherwise, they would both have to receive data cables, right?
username

Postby jeffrok » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:51 pm

actually no, the HD ($99 version) also does wifi- the XR is just capable of longer range wifi (with the right wifi router). The HD should do just fine.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby billc124 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:53 pm

username wrote:Thanks Jeff,

If I do the two separate boxes, I assume they would 'both' have to be the HD-XR type, in conjunction with the Wi-Fi Router. Otherwise, they would both have to receive data cables, right?

You could get any combination of boxes but if you want to do HD you would at least need to HD models, the HD-XR adds a USB port but they all work with Wi-Fi the XR can do 802.11n but you don't really need that unless you are planning on putting the Wi-Fi router far away from the boxes. I would suggest if you are going to hook up to an SDTV for just music and such that you get an SD for that one and the HD or HD-XR for the nicer setup. It is really up to you which way you want to go.
billc124

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:15 am

Do you have the bandwidth to stream two different shows at one time?
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby username » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:37 pm

I already have a decent WiFi router, and a WGRE (Range Extender) since some devices are a ways from the others. Also, Comcast Broadband -- not sure on the exact DL rate, but have never seen it slow even when all of our current devices are running (including home office server).

We're in the Trial Period with Netflix now, and have a (wireless) Toshiba (Tequila as we call it!!) laptop connected to a 60" Samsung via sVGA cable. Of course the picture quality is no better than the garbage video card in the Toshiba (way over saturated), but the stream is decent. Only used it twice now, and only noticed a couple of skips. Hopefully the Roku(s) will buffer a little bit and make it smoother?
username

Return to Roku General