ROKU WILL NOT CONNECT TO LOCAL NETWORK

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

ROKU WILL NOT CONNECT TO LOCAL NETWORK

Postby dross1167 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:09 pm

ok, i am fed up with this piece of crap i bought a month ago from Roku. it's the Roku HD and it worked for about a week without a flaw until recently it began refusing to connect to my local network. it finds my wi-fi network just fine (step 1), and makes that connection almost immediately. then on step 2, the connection the local network, it fails every time. i have tried everything imaginable to get this thing working. i have changed nothing with my router in over 3 years. i have 5 wi-fi pc's, 2 wi-fi LF blu ray players, and a logitech squeezebox with 2 receivers running over wi-fi - not a single one of these have ever given me any trouble.

Does anyone know why this roku device would be causing all of this trouble? this is rediculous and i need some answers. Roku's phone support is pathetic unless you speak Indian.
dross1167

Postby philsoft » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:29 pm

If you would care to be a bit calmer, I would be happy to help if I can.
The first thing to check is if you have any firwealls in your router, try disabling that temporarily.
Is it possible to try (temporarily) connecting wired to see if you encounter the same problem.

That is a start, if that doesn't take care of it, we can explore further.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby robertm » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:38 pm

If the Roku sees the wireless and still cannot establish itself on your network chances are the problem is your router. Maybe you should get on the message board for your router and call it a piece of crap... you know... just to be fair.
robertm

Postby dross1167 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:02 pm

yeah Robert, the router is the problem! we have a plethora of wi-fi devices including the following, all of which are online via wi-fi as i write this:

2 Windows 7 laptops
1 Windows XP desktop
2 Windows Vista desktops
2 Ipod Touch 2nd gen.
2 LG BD-390 blu ray players w/wi-fi for Netflix streaming etc.
1 Logitech Squeezebox(w/2 wi-fi receivers)

None of the above have given me a bit of trouble connecting to our wi-fi. They all work like a charm, several for years now.

But by your twisted logic, since the single Roku device i now own will not connect, then it must be a router problem. Sure, buddy!

I've gone through the router settings at length. WPA pre-shared key. No firewall enabled. No MAC address filtering.

For about the first 1 to 2 weeks of owning the roku it worked fine. Then suddenly the trouble began.

If i turn off the WPA key on the router, the roku connects immediately. If i turn the key back on, 99% of the time the roku will fail on the 'connecting to local network' step. Every once in a great while the roku will connect using the pre-shared key. it's very difficult to troubleshoot when there is no real pattern of failure/success here.
dross1167

Postby philsoft » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:08 pm

dross1167 wrote:But by your twisted logic, since the single Roku device i now own will not connect, then it must be a router problem. Sure, buddy!

OK Good luck, you are on your own as far as I am concerned.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby KennyJ » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Wait, you mean when you yell at people trying to help you, they don't want to help you????

That's crazy!
KennyJ

Postby robertm » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:20 pm

dross1167 wrote:
If i turn off the WPA key on the router, the roku connects immediately. If i turn the key back on, 99% of the time the roku will fail on the 'connecting to local network' step. Every once in a great while the roku will connect using the pre-shared key. it's very difficult to troubleshoot when there is no real pattern of failure/success here.

In your first post you say that you have changed nothing in 3 years, yet now you admit to making changes. Also, in your first post you claim that the roku fails to connect every time, yet now we see that it can connect.

Interesting.
robertm

Re: ROKU WILL NOT CONNECT TO LOCAL NETWORK

Postby snarler » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:28 pm

dross1167 wrote:ok, i am fed up with this piece of crap i bought a month ago from Roku. it's the Roku HD and it worked for about a week without a flaw until recently it began refusing to connect to my local network. it finds my wi-fi network just fine (step 1), and makes that connection almost immediately. then on step 2, the connection the local network, it fails every time. i have tried everything imaginable to get this thing working. i have changed nothing with my router in over 3 years. i have 5 wi-fi pc's, 2 wi-fi LF blu ray players, and a logitech squeezebox with 2 receivers running over wi-fi - not a single one of these have ever given me any trouble.

Does anyone know why this roku device would be causing all of this trouble? this is rediculous and i need some answers. Roku's phone support is pathetic unless you speak Indian.

Do you know if the Roku updated its firmware at the time it stopped working? Do you use any special characters in your WPA key? Though I can't imagine why it would work some of the time with a key with a special character in it as opposed to always working or never working, one never knows and I recall reading somewhere not every device handles special characters equally well.
snarler

Postby techn0lizard » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:38 am

Trust me, it's the router. Find a long piece of Ethernet cable, wire it directly to the modem, bypass the router, prove it to yourself. Then enjoy the wonderful world of networking--and the concept that prior to this purchase you were lucky not to have to change a thing on the router.

:twisted:

All of us on this forum have been where you are, remember that before you go stomping around the room angry because you have encountered a problem you cannot understand.

If you start from the position that it is probably user error, and that there is some stupid box that needs to be checked or unchecked on some freaking hidden menu somewhere, you'll find LOADS of help here in the forums!

Take a deep breath, and power cycle EVERYTHING! :lol:
Very funny Scotty now beam down my pants!!!!
techn0lizard

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion