Can I connect my Roku box to my receiver instead of the TV?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can I connect my Roku box to my receiver instead of the TV?

Postby bcolins » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:01 am

My Roku box works fine when connected to my TV directly, I then send the audio to my Samsumg compact home theater receiver (a $250 cheapy 5.1 system) and its OK for movies....but when on Pandora....the audio is fairly low quality.

Im wondering if I should be able to connect my Roku box directly to my Samsumg receiver that sends its signal to the TV via an S video cable and if I do that, if it will improve the audio output I am getting.

I've been messing with it this morning and so far nothing at the TV.

Brian
bcolins

Re: Can I connect my Roku box to my Samsung receiver

Postby jcmolet » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:14 am

bcolins wrote:My Roku box works fine when connected to my TV directly, I then send the audio to my Samsumg compact home theater receiver (a $250 cheapy 5.1 system) and its OK for movies....but when on Pandora....the audio is fairly low quality.

Im wondering if I should be able to connect my Roku box directly to my Samsumg receiver that sends its signal to the TV via an S video cable and if I do that, if it will improve the audio output I am getting.

I've been messing with it this morning and so far nothing at the TV.

Brian

Yes. You should be able to route your Roku through the receiver, to your television. However, S-video, as the name implies, only carries your video signal. Depending on the inputs/outputs on your receiver, your can either go HDMI all the way: HDMI out from the Roku to HDMI in on the receiver, HDMI out of the receiver to HDMI in on your TV. If you don't have HDMI inputs/outputs on your receiver, your next best bet is component (Red, Green, Blue connectors) all the way through. The best bet after component is S-video and the last option is composite (yellow connector).

If you are able to go HDMI all the way through, that will carry your audio and video signals. If you go component, S-video or composite, they only carry video. You will have to also run an audio cable (red and white connectors) from the Roku to your receiver.
jcmolet

Postby jcmolet » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:23 am

The diagram at the link below gives a pretty good representation of what you need to do.

http://support.sony-europe.com/tutorial ... /hd_20.gif

If you are able to go HDMI, your hookup will look like the yellow line.

If you go component, the video will be carried on the blue line, audio on the orange.

This diagram does not show s-video or composite; however, it would be the same idea as the component. Make your s-video or composite connection from the Roku to the receiver (that carries your video signal) and then your audio connection from the Roku to your receiver.
jcmolet

Postby bcolins » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:48 am

Thanks for the input guys. I ran an additional RCA cable from the receiver video out and into the back of the set (10 year old Sony Flat Screen Wega CRT)........made a HUGE difference in the audio quality.

Thanks
Brian
bcolins

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion