When not using, unplug Roku or leave plugged in?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

When not using, unplug Roku or leave plugged in?

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:21 pm

The box doesn't seem to be the most sturdy of components, it actually seems to be quite 'cheap' in it's build.

I only watch Roku a few hours a day. My feeling is not to leave it plugged in all the time, hoping I'll get more life out of it. Why is there no on/off switch. Unplugging it doesn't present network problems for me. It hooks up to the internet just fine when plugging back in.

Thanks
JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: When not using, unplug Roku or leave plugged in?

Postby billc124 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:22 pm

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:The box doesn't seem to be the most sturdy of components, it actually seems to be quite 'cheap' in it's build.

I only watch Roku a few hours a day. My feeling is not to leave it plugged in all the time, hoping I'll get more life out of it. Why is there no on/off switch. Unplugging it doesn't present network problems for me. It hooks up to the internet just fine when plugging back in.

Thanks


It uses hardly any power at all and there are no moving parts. I have had mine plugged in for over a year with no issues.
billc124
 

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:32 pm

There are a couple of good reasons to leave it plugged in.

The Netflix instant queue must reload each time the Roku restarts.

Software updates only happen when it is plugged in and connected to the Internet.

As far as wear and tear electronic devices are more prone to failure at power up and power down so the idea of saving your Roku by powering it up and down daily actually will shorten its life.

As far as power usage the Roku uses very little (a few dollars worth a year) and the extra strain caused by powering it on and off more than offsets the small savings in power by turning it on and off.
Gilgamesh
 
Posts: 4912
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: When not using, unplug Roku or leave plugged in?

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:34 pm

billc124 wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:The box doesn't seem to be the most sturdy of components, it actually seems to be quite 'cheap' in it's build.

I only watch Roku a few hours a day. My feeling is not to leave it plugged in all the time, hoping I'll get more life out of it. Why is there no on/off switch. Unplugging it doesn't present network problems for me. It hooks up to the internet just fine when plugging back in.

Thanks


It uses hardly any power at all and there are no moving parts. I have had mine plugged in for over a year with no issues.


Got it. It's not the power consumption I'm worried about. The thing just seems to be cheaply manufactured and not very heavy duty. My concern, from my electrical component ignorance ( I've no idea if my point if logical ), would be someting inside would 'burn' out from being on all the time.
Not so much a moving part, but a cheap chip, or circuit - what have you.

That all being said, the Roku box works great. I'm really impressed with the SD picture/sound quality over RCA cables and no glitches with the streaming and I have a fairly slow connection at 2.5meg.

For one month of Direct TV's price I've got all kinds of media to watch for free from here on. I dumped the Direct TV, lol

Thanks
JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:There are a couple of good reasons to leave it plugged in.

The Netflix instant queue must reload each time the Roku restarts.

Software updates only happen when it is plugged in and connected to the Internet.

As far as wear and tear electronic devices are more prone to failure at power up and power down so the idea of saving your Roku by powering it up and down daily actually will shorten its life.

As far as power usage the Roku uses very little (a few dollars worth a year) and the extra strain caused by powering it on and off more than offsets the small savings in power by turning it on and off.


I don't have any problems with Netflix queue having to reload, it does it in seconds.

I was wondering if powering on/off could actually be worse than just leaving it on. I've heard that before.

Are you totally sure from experience or professional knowledge that this is the case?

Thanks so much for your input
JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Postby billc124 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:41 pm

It's fine to leave on, I think most of us in the forums keep it plugged in all the time. Like I said, mine has been plugged in for over a year with no issues, if anything were going to break it would be the power supply not the box and a new power supply is only 10 bucks for a new one.
billc124
 

Postby KennyJ » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:44 pm

Mine has also been plugged in for over a year. No problems.
KennyJ
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:18 pm
Location: Lawndale, CA

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:46 pm

billc124 wrote:It's fine to leave on, I think most of us in the forums keep it plugged in all the time. Like I said, mine has been plugged in for over a year with no issues, if anything were going to break it would be the power supply not the box and a new power supply is only 10 bucks for a new one.


Yes, seems to be the consensus. Guess I'll leave it on. I would like to know from an electronic component 'expert' if the danger truly is on power up/down.
JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Postby billc124 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:49 pm

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
billc124 wrote:It's fine to leave on, I think most of us in the forums keep it plugged in all the time. Like I said, mine has been plugged in for over a year with no issues, if anything were going to break it would be the power supply not the box and a new power supply is only 10 bucks for a new one.


Yes, seems to be the consensus. Guess I'll leave it on. I would like to know from an electronic component 'expert' if the danger truly is on power up/down.


Speaking from a computer standpoint, I have had servers that were running perfectly fine before a shut down that failed to come back up. That has happened on more then one occasion and that is why I hate to shut down the servers at work. Not exactly the same as the Roku, but I would tend to agree that power up/power down could cause issues.
billc124
 

Postby philsoft » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:53 pm

power can be pretty hard on electronic equipment, but the real problem is often expansion/contraction. The device gets hotter when running, then when it is shut off it cools, this causes the components to expand and contract, and often enough, that is the cause of failure.

EDIT:
The first line SHOULD have said
Power UP can be pretty hard on electronic equipment.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 4304
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Midland, Michigan

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:56 pm

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:I don't have any problems with Netflix queue having to reload, it does it in seconds.

I was wondering if powering on/off could actually be worse than just leaving it on. I've heard that before.

Are you totally sure from experience or professional knowledge that this is the case?

Thanks so much for your input
Yes I am sure, from both personal experience and professional knowledge, that on/off cycles are generally bad for electronic devices.

The Smithsonian has/had one of the original Edison bulbs burning in an exhibit and they wanted to move the exhibit they went to tremendous pains to prevent the damage caused by an on off cycle.

As far as the queue loading speed: Should you get over 150 titles in your queue then it can take quite a while to load if you are one that never plans to have a large queue then this is not an issue. But there are many users that started out to not have a large queue and now have a quite large one. Over the last year mine went from 20-30 to over 400. For many it is easier to have a large queue than it is to get on the computer and search for something to fit the mood whenever something different is wanted to watch.
Gilgamesh
 
Posts: 4912
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:01 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:I don't have any problems with Netflix queue having to reload, it does it in seconds.

I was wondering if powering on/off could actually be worse than just leaving it on. I've heard that before.

Are you totally sure from experience or professional knowledge that this is the case?

Thanks so much for your input
Yes I am sure, from both personal experience and professional knowledge, that on/off cycles are generally bad for electronic devices.

The Smithsonian has/had on of the original Edison bulbs burning in an exhibit and they wanted yo move the exhibit they went to tremendous pains to prevent the damage caused by an on off cycle.

As far as the queue loading speed: Should you get over 150 titles in your queue then it can take quite a while to load if you are one that never plans to have a large queue then this is not an issue. But there are many users that started out to not have a large queue and now have a quite large one. Over the last year mine went from 20-30 to over 400. For many it is easier to have a large queue than it is to get on the computer and search for something to fit the mood whenever something different is wanted to watch.


Gotcha Gil, thanks so much for taking the time. I turn off my Apple iMac every night, thinking that the start up is good for all the diagnostics that go on during boot up. Does the on/off issue pertain it Apple computers as well?

In addition my computer gets very hot after being on all day - being an older model from 2006, so I'm thinking that I'm doing the machine a good turn in turning it off every night.

What say you?

Thanks for your input.
JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: When not using, unplug Roku or leave plugged in?

Postby vmps » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:54 pm

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:The box doesn't seem to be the most sturdy of components, it actually seems to be quite 'cheap' in it's build.

Studies have shown that people equate weight with quality, to the point that some products put actual weights in to make them heavier so that people perceive them better. Perception has nothing to do with reality.
vmps
 
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:48 am

Re: When not using, unplug Roku or leave plugged in?

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:59 pm

vmps wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:The box doesn't seem to be the most sturdy of components, it actually seems to be quite 'cheap' in it's build.

Studies have shown that people equate weight with quality, to the point that some products put actual weights in to make them heavier so that people perceive them better. Perception has nothing to do with reality.


Lol, now that is the understatement of the year so far; "... perception has nothing to do with reality". And I'm not talking in the least about electronics! Nice one V.

I hear you though as regards electronic components; makes sense.

Thanks
JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: When not using, unplug Roku or leave plugged in?

Postby danielaughs » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:37 pm

I had the unplugging/leaving plugged in issue tormenting my mind for a few months. THANK YOU everyone for all the information you contributed! It was a huge help and informative. I never thought of the expanding and contracting of components during the power up/off stage, that was a good point. I also almost have 400 titles in my que which would explain why it takes so long to boot up. I do wonder though why Roku does not give us any information on this subject with our purchase? (last comment, I love this little box of wonder and consider it the cheapest and the best electronic I have ever purchased. You get more than what you pay for, especially since I cancelled cable and use Netlix exclusively. I have a Roku boxes for all 5 tvs)
danielaughs
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:12 pm

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: renojim and 14 guests