Big Cable/Sat's bid to Lock Down Distribution via

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Big Cable/Sat's bid to Lock Down Distribution via

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:33 am

JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Postby zwei » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:12 am

Just when you think it's impossible to hate something any more than you already do…
Roku 2 XS: Serial # 13A167000334
zwei
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:49 am
Location: Near an iPad

Re: Big Cable/Sat's bid to Lock Down Distribution via

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:20 am

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:"TV Everywhere"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-silv ... 11057.html


Indeed, I dumped my $120/m DirectTV subscription after investing $140 in a Roku box and Wireless router ( was actually a little bummed I had to buy the router ).

I've got so much free content lined up from NF alone that I'll never really miss DirectTV. Plus what I'm watching is much more of quality than turning on Direct, which is mostly 500 channels of crap ( for my taste ) anyway, save for the movie channels. I'll just buy the HBO/SHOW stuff I like.

F$$k Cable/Sat. I hope they are reading this too.
JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: Big Cable/Sat's bid to Lock Down Distribution via

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:29 am

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:"TV Everywhere"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-silv ... 11057.html


Indeed, I dumped my $120/m DirectTV subscription after investing $140 in a Roku box and Wireless router ( was actually a little bummed I had to buy the router ).

I've got so much free content lined up from NF alone that I'll never really miss DirectTV. Plus what I'm watching is much more of quality than turning on Direct, which is mostly 500 channels of crap ( for my taste ) anyway, save for the movie channels. I'll just buy the HBO/SHOW stuff I like.

F$$k Cable/Sat. I hope they are reading this too.


Now if only Roku/NetFlix would add sorting capability, from the remote/tv point of the content's distribution I'd be in media heaven. But hey, what do you want for $79.99? ( $99 with tax and shipping ).

I can live with the limited TV UI, lol.

Let's see:

$120.00 x 12= $1,440.00 ( Direct TV Yearly Cost )

-$140.00 capital investment in Roku

I'm gonna save $1300.00 this year in media consumption expense and watch better media to boot.

Take that Direct TV, you blew it. lol.
JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Comp: Big Cable/Sat's bid to Lock Down Distribution via

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:16 am

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:"TV Everywhere"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-silv ... 11057.html
JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: Big Cable/Sat's bid to Lock Down Distribution via

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:06 pm

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:Now if only Roku/NetFlix would add sorting capability, from the remote/tv point of the content's distribution I'd be in media heaven. But hey, what do you want for $79.99? ( $99 with tax and shipping ).

I can live with the limited TV UI, lol.

Let's see:

$120.00 x 12= $1,440.00 ( Direct TV Yearly Cost )

-$140.00 capital investment in Roku

I'm gonna save $1300.00 this year in media consumption expense and watch better media to boot.

Take that Direct TV, you blew it. lol.

Do not forget to add back in the Netflix monthly cost of at least 9.95 + tax so that would mean 1300.00-119.40 or about 1180.60 savings instead of 1300.00. Also the cost of Internet, but most of us would have that anyway.

Of course that is still a good savings. In fact my D* bill was only in the 70.00 range and it is still a good savings. I have even figured a way to get all the soccer I want for 19.99 more a year and that means there is absolutely no reason for me to have any TV that does not come through the Internet.

Of course I have had a bit more setup expense as I also bought a VuNow and an inexpensive computer to host PlayOn and a bit of local media total startup cost for my setup was 350.00 but I still save a lot in the first year and even more ongoing.

With this setup I get:
Netflix, Amazon, Pandora and all the other Roku channels
Hulu
Much of CBS
Some of NBC
Some of FOX
A bit of A&E
SyFy
PBS
AMC
A bunch of free movies on line
MLS Soccer (19.95/yr) Directly on the computer hooked to my TV
and a LOT more.

TV heaven for, in my case, about 620.00/yr or less than 52.00/mo including Internet; a large savings for more and better content.

Of course this can all go south if the providers begin to lock down more and more content.
Gilgamesh
 
Posts: 4912
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: Big Cable/Sat's bid to Lock Down Distribution via

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:Now if only Roku/NetFlix would add sorting capability, from the remote/tv point of the content's distribution I'd be in media heaven. But hey, what do you want for $79.99? ( $99 with tax and shipping ).

I can live with the limited TV UI, lol.

Let's see:

$120.00 x 12= $1,440.00 ( Direct TV Yearly Cost )

-$140.00 capital investment in Roku

I'm gonna save $1300.00 this year in media consumption expense and watch better media to boot.

Take that Direct TV, you blew it. lol.

Do not forget to add back in the Netflix monthly cost of at least 9.95 + tax so that would mean 1300.00-119.40 or about 1180.60 savings instead of 1300.00. Also the cost of Internet, but most of us would have that anyway.

Of course that is still a good savings. In fact my D* bill was only in the 70.00 range and it is still a good savings. I have even figured a way to get all the soccer I want for 19.99 more a year and that means there is absolutely no reason for me to have any TV that does not come through the Internet.

Of course I have had a bit more setup expense as I also bought a VuNow and an inexpensive computer to host PlayOn and a bit of local media total startup cost for my setup was 350.00 but I still save a lot in the first year and even more ongoing.

With this setup I get:
Netflix, Amazon, Pandora and all the other Roku channels
Hulu
Much of CBS
Some of NBC
Some of FOX
A bit of A&E
SyFy
PBS
AMC
A bunch of free movies on line
MLS Soccer (19.95/yr) Directly on the computer hooked to my TV
and a LOT more.

TV heaven for, in my case, about 620.00/yr or less than 52.00/mo including Internet; a large savings for more and better content.

Of course this can all go south if the providers begin to lock down more and more content.


Actually my NF is $18.23 a month or so and I cannot stream to my iMac being sans Intel.

However, like my internet cost of $30 per month, NF subscription is already a hard capital cost in my infrastructure column on 'balance sheet'.

I look at Roku/Router expense as leveraging the $18.23 NF/monthly.... almost exponentially... so actually boost the savings back up to $1400, lol

Regardless, I see your point. :P
JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: Big Cable/Sat's bid to Lock Down Distribution via

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:20 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:Now if only Roku/NetFlix would add sorting capability, from the remote/tv point of the content's distribution I'd be in media heaven. But hey, what do you want for $79.99? ( $99 with tax and shipping ).

I can live with the limited TV UI, lol.

Let's see:

$120.00 x 12= $1,440.00 ( Direct TV Yearly Cost )

-$140.00 capital investment in Roku

I'm gonna save $1300.00 this year in media consumption expense and watch better media to boot.

Take that Direct TV, you blew it. lol.

Do not forget to add back in the Netflix monthly cost of at least 9.95 + tax so that would mean 1300.00-119.40 or about 1180.60 savings instead of 1300.00. Also the cost of Internet, but most of us would have that anyway.

Of course that is still a good savings. In fact my D* bill was only in the 70.00 range and it is still a good savings. I have even figured a way to get all the soccer I want for 19.99 more a year and that means there is absolutely no reason for me to have any TV that does not come through the Internet.

Of course I have had a bit more setup expense as I also bought a VuNow and an inexpensive computer to host PlayOn and a bit of local media total startup cost for my setup was 350.00 but I still save a lot in the first year and even more ongoing.

With this setup I get:
Netflix, Amazon, Pandora and all the other Roku channels
Hulu
Much of CBS
Some of NBC
Some of FOX
A bit of A&E
SyFy
PBS
AMC
A bunch of free movies on line
MLS Soccer (19.95/yr) Directly on the computer hooked to my TV
and a LOT more.

TV heaven for, in my case, about 620.00/yr or less than 52.00/mo including Internet; a large savings for more and better content.

Of course this can all go south if the providers begin to lock down more and more content.


Where are you getting this content from?:
Hulu
Much of CBS
Some of NBC
Some of FOX
A bit of A&E
SyFy
PBS
AMC
A bunch of free movies on line
JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: Big Cable/Sat's bid to Lock Down Distribution via

Postby KennyJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:28 pm

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:Now if only Roku/NetFlix would add sorting capability, from the remote/tv point of the content's distribution I'd be in media heaven. But hey, what do you want for $79.99? ( $99 with tax and shipping ).

I can live with the limited TV UI, lol.

Let's see:

$120.00 x 12= $1,440.00 ( Direct TV Yearly Cost )

-$140.00 capital investment in Roku

I'm gonna save $1300.00 this year in media consumption expense and watch better media to boot.

Take that Direct TV, you blew it. lol.

Do not forget to add back in the Netflix monthly cost of at least 9.95 + tax so that would mean 1300.00-119.40 or about 1180.60 savings instead of 1300.00. Also the cost of Internet, but most of us would have that anyway.

Of course that is still a good savings. In fact my D* bill was only in the 70.00 range and it is still a good savings. I have even figured a way to get all the soccer I want for 19.99 more a year and that means there is absolutely no reason for me to have any TV that does not come through the Internet.

Of course I have had a bit more setup expense as I also bought a VuNow and an inexpensive computer to host PlayOn and a bit of local media total startup cost for my setup was 350.00 but I still save a lot in the first year and even more ongoing.

With this setup I get:
Netflix, Amazon, Pandora and all the other Roku channels
Hulu
Much of CBS
Some of NBC
Some of FOX
A bit of A&E
SyFy
PBS
AMC
A bunch of free movies on line
MLS Soccer (19.95/yr) Directly on the computer hooked to my TV
and a LOT more.

TV heaven for, in my case, about 620.00/yr or less than 52.00/mo including Internet; a large savings for more and better content.

Of course this can all go south if the providers begin to lock down more and more content.


Where are you getting this content from?:
Hulu
Much of CBS
Some of NBC
Some of FOX
A bit of A&E
SyFy
PBS
AMC
A bunch of free movies on line


Looks like through PlayOn -- "and an inexpensive computer to host PlayOn"

I thought about getting a PS3 and doing this.
User avatar
KennyJ
 
Posts: 4043
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Lawndale, CA

Re: Big Cable/Sat's bid to Lock Down Distribution via

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Where are you getting this content from?:
Hulu
Much of CBS
Some of NBC
Some of FOX
A bit of A&E
SyFy
PBS
AMC
A bunch of free movies on line.


Looks like through PlayOn -- "and an inexpensive computer to host PlayOn"


I don't even know what "PlayOn" is. I'll look into it though, lol.
JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: Big Cable/Sat's bid to Lock Down Distribution via

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:36 pm

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
Where are you getting this content from?:
Hulu
Much of CBS
Some of NBC
Some of FOX
A bit of A&E
SyFy
PBS
AMC
A bunch of free movies on line.


Looks like through PlayOn -- "and an inexpensive computer to host PlayOn"


I don't even know what "PlayOn" is. I'll look into it though, lol.


Wow, actually looks way better to do PlayOn from a PS3/Wintel Box set up, than to do Roku box, as there is a lot more content available and TV UI is better for sorting content.

However, I don't have a PS3 or Wintel Box.

Hey Roku, why don't you match the PS3/Wintel combo?
JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: Big Cable/Sat's bid to Lock Down Distribution via

Postby billc124 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:40 pm

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
Where are you getting this content from?:
Hulu
Much of CBS
Some of NBC
Some of FOX
A bit of A&E
SyFy
PBS
AMC
A bunch of free movies on line.


Looks like through PlayOn -- "and an inexpensive computer to host PlayOn"


I don't even know what "PlayOn" is. I'll look into it though, lol.


Wow, actually looks way better to do PlayOn from a PS3/Wintel Box set up, than to do Roku box, as there is a lot more content available and TV UI is better for sorting content.

However, I don't have a PS3 or Wintel Box.

Hey Roku, why don't you match the PS3/Wintel combo?


One thing to note is that you won't be able to stream HD Netflix titles through PlayOn as the other end is a computer and Netflix does not recognize a computer as HD compatible. Plus PlayOn is buggy and requires a pretty powerful machine to stream from.
billc124
 

Re: Big Cable/Sat's bid to Lock Down Distribution via

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:44 pm

billc124 wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
Where are you getting this content from?:
Hulu
Much of CBS
Some of NBC
Some of FOX
A bit of A&E
SyFy
PBS
AMC
A bunch of free movies on line.


Looks like through PlayOn -- "and an inexpensive computer to host PlayOn"


I don't even know what "PlayOn" is. I'll look into it though, lol.


Wow, actually looks way better to do PlayOn from a PS3/Wintel Box set up, than to do Roku box, as there is a lot more content available and TV UI is better for sorting content.

However, I don't have a PS3 or Wintel Box.

Hey Roku, why don't you match the PS3/Wintel combo?


One thing to note is that you won't be able to stream HD Netflix titles through PlayOn as the other end is a computer and Netflix does not recognize a computer as HD compatible. Plus PlayOn is buggy and requires a pretty powerful machine to stream from.


Good to know, thanks.

Roku Box is solid and I can't spend for PS3/Powerful Wintel machine, and won't tolerate buggy-ness.

But.... it would be nice if Roku would provide the PlayOn content access in it's platform, :P
JoshuaMarc1234
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Postby robertm » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:49 pm

Hulu>Playon>Wii had a distractingly bad picture.
robertm
 
Posts: 2640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: Big Cable/Sat's bid to Lock Down Distribution via

Postby zwei » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:50 pm

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:Wow, actually looks way better to do PlayOn from a PS3/Wintel Box set up, than to do Roku box, as there is a lot more content available and TV UI is better for sorting content.

However, I don't have a PS3 or Wintel Box.

Hey Roku, why don't you match the PS3/Wintel combo?

Yeah, wait until PlayOn glitches out 20 minutes into an episode and let me know how you feel. You can't fast forward or resume playback. When that happens (and it does far too often) you pretty much have to go to your PC and finish watching the episode online.
Roku 2 XS: Serial # 13A167000334
zwei
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:49 am
Location: Near an iPad

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vnzjunk and 37 guests