Connecting Roku box to OLD TV

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

Connecting Roku box to OLD TV

Postby sunjune » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:55 am

My TV is old and do not have the white,red and yellow connections; can I use the Roku box with my TV or do I need a newer model TV?

I don't know what a switch box is; do I need one or would it be best to just get a new TV?
I have an old TV that do not have the red,white and yellow cable slots. How can I hook up my roku box?

Do I need to buy a newer model TV?
sunjune

Postby cfaulkingham » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:42 am

Your better off purchasing a new LCD HDTV. There really cheap at this point.
cfaulkingham

Postby KennyJ » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:39 am

They do sell adapters though they may be harder to come by now. If you can afford a new TV, I think it's time to upgrade.
KennyJ

Postby jeffrok » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:56 am

You can get an RF/antenna switchbox, or just buy the TV.. I'm guessing your TV is so old it's on it's last legs anyway.. By the time you buy the switchbox and cables for it, you're talking $30-$40 I'd bet.. For $250 you can get a 22-inch LCD TV, I believe. I just bought an no-name 32" for $320. The picture quality on a widescreen LCD vs an old CRT TV is night-and-day, even with the no-name brands..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby KennyJ » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:37 am

bregent wrote:
cfaulkingham wrote:Your better off purchasing a new LCD HDTV. There really cheap at this point.

Maybe. If most of the content you are still watching is SD, then you will be greatly disappointed with the quality on a HD screen. SD content looks much better on a SD screen than an HD screen. Lots of people are dumping their relatively new CRT TV's (with lots of inputs) in favor of HDTV's so you should be able to pick one up free or very cheap. Check craigslist or a freecycle.org in your area. If all you watch is HD programming, then yeah, get a HDTV.

Depends on the TV. I have a 50" 720p screen and SD content looks great on it. DVDs look fantastic.
KennyJ

Postby cfaulkingham » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:07 am

KennyJ wrote:
bregent wrote:
cfaulkingham wrote:Your better off purchasing a new LCD HDTV. There really cheap at this point.

Maybe. If most of the content you are still watching is SD, then you will be greatly disappointed with the quality on a HD screen. SD content looks much better on a SD screen than an HD screen. Lots of people are dumping their relatively new CRT TV's (with lots of inputs) in favor of HDTV's so you should be able to pick one up free or very cheap. Check craigslist or a freecycle.org in your area. If all you watch is HD programming, then yeah, get a HDTV.

Depends on the TV. I have a 50" 720p screen and SD content looks great on it. DVDs look fantastic.

I agree I have a 32" 720p screen and SD content looks awesome.
cfaulkingham

Postby jeffrok » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:21 am

KennyJ wrote:
bregent wrote:

I assume you have a good progressive scan DVD player and/or one that upscales.. I could see complaints from someone who has an older, "no-progressive scan" DVD player. I remember when I first hooked up my old DVD player to my Sony XBR I could see a ton of pixels.. Upgraded the DVD player and it made a world of difference.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby KennyJ » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:24 am

It is a progressive scan DVD player (though many years old). However, much of the SD TV stuff looks fine (certainly not as good as DVD).
KennyJ

Re: Connecting Roku box to OLD TV

Postby dm342 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:11 am

sunjune wrote:My TV is old and do not have the white,red and yellow connections; can I use the Roku box with my TV or do I need a newer model TV?

I don't know what a switch box is; do I need one or would it be best to just get a new TV?

Hi all you need is a cheap RF module converter such as http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=13072965 there are cheaper one's sold at Walmart I believe they are made by Magnavox I have even seen them sold at Walgreens for about $20.00 all you need is about 6 ft of coax, you may want to get a 6 ft S-video cable for a little sharper picture but not really necessary. HTH Dave
dm342

Return to Roku General