is there a way to manually set the roku to get 4 dot quality

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

is there a way to manually set the roku to get 4 dot quality

Postby kramek » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:38 am

Hi All,
I'm wondering if there is a way to set the roku player to assume it is getting a 4 dot quality. I've seen posts that suggest using the remote in the following way
home 5 times
RW 3 times
FF 2 times
what is this supposed to do?
Is there any documentation that describes the manual settings?
any advice would be appreciated
thanks
HK
kramek

Postby DeftOne » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:44 am

That takes you to a secret menu where you can force the Roku to a preset stream bitrate. It doesn't necessarily mean you will always get 4 dot quality -- that's dependent on the speed of your internet connection and your local network. If you're internet connection is not fast enough to maintain the stream bitrate you force it to, you'll get a lot of rebuffering, so use with caution.
DeftOne

Re: is there a way to manually set the roku to get 4 dot qua

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:12 am

kramek wrote:Is there any documentation that describes the manual settings?

Nothing official. Roku considers the bitrate screen (that's what it's called) to be an engineering tool, not a public feature.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

any documentation for preset stream bitrate?

Postby kramek » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Does any documentation exist for this feature or is it obvious?
thanks
HK
kramek

Re: any documentation for preset stream bitrate?

Postby KennyJ » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:27 pm

kramek wrote:Does any documentation exist for this feature or is it obvious?
thanks
HK

It's obvious. If gives you like 6 choices (don't remember the actual bitrates)

Auto
Bitrate 1
Bitrate 2
Bitrate 3
Bitrate 4
Debug
KennyJ

Postby sjbenjamin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:51 pm

This seems to affect buffer size (i.e. increasing the bitrate decreases buffer time; decreasing the bit rate increases buffer time) but does not change the quality setting...at least that is my own testing experience on a slow connection, attempting to decrease my quality setting. I have run the gammut of options. Interestingly, turning on debugging tells me that playback will fail; I just can't do anything about it.
sjbenjamin

Postby KennyJ » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:55 pm

sjbenjamin wrote:This seems to affect buffer size (i.e. increasing the bitrate decreases buffer time; decreasing the bit rate increases buffer time) but does not change the quality setting...at least that is my own testing experience on a slow connection, attempting to decrease my quality setting. I have run the gammut of options. Interestingly, turning on debugging tells me that playback will fail; I just can't do anything about it.

It shouldn't affect buffer at all. It is the quality setting. Try it on Netflix -- select the 1.0 bitrate.

It's possible Blip.tv is only offering 1 stream (4 dot) and if that's the case, there is nothing you can do.
KennyJ

Postby sjbenjamin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:25 am

I agree that it shouldn't, but it did on Blip.tv. For the benefit of others, Kenny and I believe we just determined that Blip only offers a quality 4 stream. Lowering my bitrate in that case caused the Roku to buffer longer and not rebuffer on my slow connection. However...

As Kenny suuests, this works differently on Netflix, presumably because they run 4 streams. I ran a quick test by upping the bitrate to 3.5Mbs, and I do get a quality of 4 whereas I normally get a 2. All hail Kenny. :D

Cheers,

Ben
sjbenjamin

how to improve the quality of the picture

Postby kramek » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:32 pm

I was under the impression that the stream bitrate resulted in a higher quality image. sbenjamin post seems to indicate that it doesn't. Are there any other ways to improve the quality of the picture
thanks
HK
kramek

Re: how to improve the quality of the picture

Postby KennyJ » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:34 pm

kramek wrote:I was under the impression that the stream bitrate resulted in a higher quality image. sbenjamin post seems to indicate that it doesn't. Are there any other ways to improve the quality of the picture
thanks
HK

Well if Blip only has one stream, then no -- it won't result in a better picture.
KennyJ

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion