Roku Remote for Android

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku Remote for Android

Postby greno » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:36 am

Just wanted to let the folks here know that I released a new version of my Roku Remote app for Android phones. The latest feature allows you to scan your network for the Roku player so you don't have to manually enter it.

You can find it in the Android Market with the title "Roku Remote" and me as the author (Gregg Reno)

I'd appreciate any feedback from those who are using the app!

-Gregg
greno

Postby jeffrok » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:45 am

I'd pay you if you could write one for WebOS (the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby greno » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:33 am

Sorry, I don't have a WebOS device.

BTW, I just came across this survey which shows the smart phones people plan on buying in the next 90 days:

http://www.changewaveresearch.com/articles/2010/01/smart_phone_20100104.html

Results:
- 28% iPhone
- 21% Android
- 18% Blackberry
- 6% Windows Mobile
- 3% Palm OS/Web OS
greno

Postby scyber » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:44 am

I was gonna install this, then I remembered that my MOtorola Droid won't connect to my home wifi network. Oh well, hopefully that bug is fixed in the rumored 1/22 update.

Oh and that WebOS # will probably jump a bit now that Verizon has confirmed that they will be carrying 2 webOS phones soon.
scyber

Postby Grandpa » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:51 am

There is a free ROKU Remote app for the iPhone/iTouch that works very well.
Grandpa

Postby jcmolet » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:47 pm

greno wrote:Sorry, I don't have a WebOS device.

BTW, I just came across this survey which shows the smart phones people plan on buying in the next 90 days:

http://www.changewaveresearch.com/articles/2010/01/smart_phone_20100104.html

Results:
- 28% iPhone
- 21% Android
- 18% Blackberry
- 6% Windows Mobile
- 3% Palm OS/Web OS

I used to love Palm - owned a 300 before most people knew what a smartphone was and downloaded lots of apps from Handango - and also owned a 600 and a 650. Unfortunately, Palm forgot to stay ahead of the game and update their OS. I didn't realize they were still making phones! :shock:
jcmolet

Postby jeffrok » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:18 pm

The Pre is an awesome little device and I'm not just saying that because I own one.. I've used my friend's iPhone quite a bit and I do like it, but I think the Pre is making some serious progress with it's latest updates and apps.

and like another poster said, Pre and Pixi sales are most likely going to jump quite a bit now that Verizon will be carrying them instead of just Sprint.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
jeffrok

Postby jcmolet » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:10 am

jeffrok wrote:The Pre is an awesome little device and I'm not just saying that because I own one.. I've used my friend's iPhone quite a bit and I do like it, but I think the Pre is making some serious progress with it's latest updates and apps.

and like another poster said, Pre and Pixi sales are most likely going to jump quite a bit now that Verizon will be carrying them instead of just Sprint.

A co-worker has a Pre and it does seem like a pretty good device; he seems to really like it. I really did love my Treos and I was always singing its praises to friends and family, particularly when the BlackBerry craze started. I thought the Treo (and their available apps) was light years ahead of the BlackBerry and every other phone. However, I think they did a poor job of marketing their product and more importantly, let the OS get too stale.

In some respects, that is probably why I often mention Roku's need to add some premium content and update capabilities (USB port?) in these forums. If Roku were to be surpassed by Boxee, Popbox or someone else, it wouldn't be the first time a company or two (Apple, RIM) has let another company (Palm) develop a market, and either through the first company's own ommisions or the new comer's better marketing, creativity, etc., surpass the original.
jcmolet

Postby billc124 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:08 pm

jeffrok wrote:The Pre is an awesome little device and I'm not just saying that because I own one.. I've used my friend's iPhone quite a bit and I do like it, but I think the Pre is making some serious progress with it's latest updates and apps.

I hated the keyboard on the Pre, I was thinking of switching to one, till I used the keyboard. I hated the recess and the jellybean feeling of the keys. It is typical Palm, come out with a great OS and then not make super impressive hardware.
billc124

Postby jeffrok » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:17 pm

the keyboard DOES kinda suck, but I got used to it.. So far this ha been my favorite phone, and i've owned about 10 phones. It's a fun phone with a robust OS.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
jeffrok

Postby billc124 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:20 pm

jeffrok wrote:the keyboard DOES kinda suck, but I got used to it.. So far this ha been my favorite phone, and i've owned about 10 phones. It's a fun phone with a robust OS.

You wouldn't be saying that if you owned an iPhone before the Pre :wink:

I am actually going to switch to an Android device after the contract for my iPhone is up. I still maintain that Palm makes great software but crap hardware. If they were smart, they would just let HTC make their device and just stick to making WebOS better.
billc124

Postby jeffrok » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Welllll, I've used the iPhone, and other phones with virtual keyboards.. And I just cannot stand virtual keyboards. The Pre gives you a real keyboard (like a Blackberry) and a nice touchscreen (like the iPhone), and its software is solid. Verzion's new version of the Pre is rumored to be much more solid hardware-wise than the initial Sprint release. Hope so.

You're right though- letting other hardware manufacturers make WebOS phones would be the smart choice, although then you risk hardware not working with software, like in the PC world. Same reason Apple won't let other companies use its code.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
jeffrok

Postby -LD » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:57 pm

Pre will fail. Android probably won't fail but there will be so many types of hardware that it will be difficult to find apps that work well and properly on all of them, which will and has discouraged developers.
-LD

Postby jeffrok » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:41 pm

I'm not here to argue the success of the Palm Pre.. I do know that it's a very good phone, and hopefully WebOS has a future because I think it's a great phone OS.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
jeffrok

Postby airwolf99 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:57 am

scyber wrote:I was gonna install this, then I remembered that my MOtorola Droid won't connect to my home wifi network. Oh well, hopefully that bug is fixed in the rumored 1/22 update.

Is that a problem that is unique to your network or router? My Droid connected right up to my Wi-Fi at home without a problem, even with WEP running.

When I sit down at night to do something on the Droid, icon switches right over from 3G to Wi-Fi and then I'm running at 12Mbps. Love it!!
airwolf99

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion