Problems with audio - Netflix

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Problems with audio - Netflix

Postby Travis Bickle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:48 pm

Hi everyone, first let me say that I am very happy with my recent purchase of the Roku digital media player. I am having a few problems with the audio in netflix and came here to see if anyone had any solutions. I have my Roku box setup using component video and analog audio (white, red) connected to my Toshiba HD tv. Nothing special, just using the stereo speakers on the tv. Everything works except for a few programs that are in HD quality mode have no sound at all and this is only in netflix. The programs are specifically kids programs, sonny with a chance and jonas brothers. I was able to watch a couple of movies in HD quality with no problems with the audio. suggestions anyone?
Travis Bickle

Postby philsoft » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:56 pm

It could just be bad encodes on Netflix's end.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Problems with audio - Netflix

Postby robertm » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:39 pm

Travis Bickle wrote:Hi everyone, first let me say that I am very happy with my recent purchase of the Roku digital media player. I am having a few problems with the audio in netflix and came here to see if anyone had any solutions. I have my Roku box setup using component video and analog audio (white, red) connected to my Toshiba HD tv. Nothing special, just using the stereo speakers on the tv. Everything works except for a few programs that are in HD quality mode have no sound at all and this is only in netflix. The programs are specifically kids programs, sonny with a chance and jonas brothers. I was able to watch a couple of movies in HD quality with no problems with the audio. suggestions anyone?

What Phil said. You should report the streaming problems to Netflix. I wouldn't worry unless you start seeing a healthy percentage of problems. I guess I have been fortunate (or I don't use it as much as others) but I have only ever had picture problems never any audio.

I did notice an episiode of HD nation from Revision 3 was out of sync at the end but it was only the last 4 minutes or so.
robertm

Re: Problems with audio - Netflix

Postby dellsweig » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:00 am

robertm wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:Hi everyone, first let me say that I am very happy with my recent purchase of the Roku digital media player. I am having a few problems with the audio in netflix and came here to see if anyone had any solutions. I have my Roku box setup using component video and analog audio (white, red) connected to my Toshiba HD tv. Nothing special, just using the stereo speakers on the tv. Everything works except for a few programs that are in HD quality mode have no sound at all and this is only in netflix. The programs are specifically kids programs, sonny with a chance and jonas brothers. I was able to watch a couple of movies in HD quality with no problems with the audio. suggestions anyone?

What Phil said. You should report the streaming problems to Netflix. I wouldn't worry unless you start seeing a healthy percentage of problems. I guess I have been fortunate (or I don't use it as much as others) but I have only ever had picture problems never any audio.

I did notice an episiode of HD nation from Revision 3 was out of sync at the end but it was only the last 4 minutes or so.

Over the past few days I have seen this in a couple movies from Netflix - one movie - the audio just stopped and did not come back. I even stopped the movie and resumed playback with no help.. Last night watching Sirana, the sound stopped for about 20 seconds but resumed no problem.

No issues with my ISP or my connection speeds, picture is fine, no buffering issues. All other channels fine and other movies fine.

I assume this is a Netflix issue - maybe load on their side......
dellsweig

Postby jeffrok » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:17 am

Most likely not a "load" issue but more likely an "encoding" issue.. If you try the same movie/show today, and audio cuts out in the exact same place, it's most likely Netflix's encoding to blame. Report it to them.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion