Activation issue linking to Roku account

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Activation issue linking to Roku account

Postby bubbaakl » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:44 pm

Stuck on this message: "activation issue: There was a problem activating. Please select "get a new code" and try again."

Cannot get activation code for linking Roku unit to my Roku online account. Repeated attemts to get a code on the Roku unit have failed.

New unit. Connected to wired ethernet. Performed soft and hard resets. Unit successfully performed software updates over internet.

Once, without ever getting the Roku activation, it proceeded to the home screen where I was able to do a Netflix activation. I could then run Netflix just fine. But since I had not linked to Roku online acct, I could not add other channels.

Anything else I should try?
bubbaakl

Postby bubbaakl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:44 am

Hmmm... I think it only pretended to perform a software update. It has version 2.3 build 85 (model N1100). What's the latest?

The unit is able to connect to the internet and stream Netflix. But I cannot get link codes for Amazon or MLB.

It might be getting hung up in my router. I aan't connect the Roku directly to the dsl modem because my isp requires a sign-in.
bubbaakl

Postby kc8pql » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:09 am

Current version is 2.4 build 350 I think. Try doing a manual update from the player info screen in the settings menu. If it doesn't update with just one try, do it twice within about 20 seconds. See the second sticky at the top of this page for complete directions on doing a manual update.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby bubbaakl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:08 am

Thanks. I've tried many times to update the software. Each time, it pretends to download something, then it reboots. But it's always the same down rev'd version and build, so no Channel Store.

I think that it's not getting to the Roku server. I am able to successfully stream Netflix, and MLB generates link codes. But I can't get a code for Roku or Amazon.

I've tried Linksys and Netgear routers, OpenDNS, Google DNS, disabled firewall, not double NAT'd.

Checked tracert to cdn.netflix.com. That looked fine. I'm in the San Jose area. I'd like to try a tracert to Roku, but don't know what address to use.
bubbaakl

Postby AndrewGl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 pm

I am having precisely the same issue as you. However this doesn't strike me as a connectivity issue as I have another Roku box on the same wireless net and had no issues at all in getting it set up. Maybe these boxes are defective insofar as being unable to update the firmware. It seems to be connecting and downloading (something), but still shows the software version as 2.3 - build 85.

Too late to call Roku tonight, so I guess I'll have to try them tomorrow. Or, hopefully someone on this forum will be able to help us out.

Andy
AndrewGl

Postby philsoft » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:20 pm

Can you try connecting directly to the cable modem with a wire, bypassing the router completely?
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby AndrewGl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:31 pm

I could, but then I can't connect to my TV (too far from the router). As I said, I don't think this is a connectivity issue because I can activate on Netflix and connect to my Netflix account and stream movies. I just can't connect to Roku to get the activation code so that I can activate channels
AndrewGl

Postby bubbaakl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:55 pm

philsoft: I can't bypass the router because I need to login to my ISP... i tried.

AndrewGl: I received mine from Roku on Monday -- ordered it last week. Serial# C0C9D5045xxx, Lot# 5200059914.

If you talk to them, let me know how it turns out. I've already started a trouble ticket and got a helpful reply, but it did not fix the problem.
bubbaakl

Postby AndrewGl » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:32 am

After I looked at their support hours I can see it's going to be problematic for me to reach them while I am at home (where the device is). I sent them a support request via e-mail describing the problem and identifying the unit as potentially defective. Hopefully they'll be cooperative and send me an RMA rather than make me speak with tech support.

I've read a few other posts in the forum and it sounds like the outsourced Indian tech support is a nightmare to communicate with. Don't wanna go that route.

Seems pretty clear there is some kind of defect. I got my unit on Tuesday (1/26) - I'll post the serial number and lot number when I get home to see if we are both potentially in the same group of defective units.
AndrewGl

Postby AndrewGl » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:16 am

Roku responded to my support request. Obviously this is a canned response since I told them in my original complaint that I have already reset the system several times without fixing the problem. I can see that this will be a long frustrating process:

Dear Andrew,
Thank you for contacting ROKU Support. My Name is Danny and I will be helping you with your query.
Kindly go through the following steps:
1. From the Roku home screen, select the Settings icon.
2. Select the Player Info icon within Settings.
3. Select Check for Update.
4. Select Yes on the confirmation dialog box to confirm that you want to update your player.
Please note there is a possibility that the Roku player will state it has the most
up to date software already installed.
If you receive this notification, please immediately try updating again and it will begin the update process.
5. Once you see a dialog box indicating your player has been updated,select OK to restart your Roku player and finish the update.
If the player has been updated then you will find the link code on the TV.
6.Kindly go to www.roku.com/link and enter the link code on your roku account.
Please feel free to write to us if you have further questions or issues.
Thank you for providing us with an opportunity to assist you and thank you for choosing ROKU.
Regards,
Danny
Roku Support.

Note : Please be aware that your case will auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.
AndrewGl

Postby AndrewGl » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:18 am

And here is my e-mail reply sent this a.m.:

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my original description of the problem, so allow me to restate.

When I follow the steps you describe below, the system "appears" to be running the update. It shows the % progress screen changing, and then prompts to restart the system. However, after restarting the system when I go to the Player Info icon the software version is the same as before the update. It shows the software version as 2.3 build 85. The current version of the software is 2.4 build 350 (I have verified this on my other Roku box on the same network).

My conclusion is that although the Roku is connecting to the update server and appears to be downloading the update, it does not install successfully. I have reset the box several times and the same problem keeps happening. I am certain that I have a good network connection because I can stream Netflix on the box. The problem is I cannot activate it on Roku because it won't generate an activation code.

You may wish to look at the following Roku forum discussion. There is another user with the identical problem who also received his Roku box this week. Possibly there is a bad batch of units.

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... 119#157119

I have another Roku box (same model) on the same network and it does not have this problem installing updates.

Can you issue me an RMA number so that I can return this unit for a replacement?
AndrewGl

Postby bubbaakl » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:46 am

I got the exact same response on Tues morning... word for word from "Danny".
bubbaakl

Postby AndrewGl » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:39 pm

[quote="bubbaakl"]philsoft: I can't bypass the router because I need to login to my ISP... i tried.

AndrewGl: I received mine from Roku on Monday -- ordered it last week. Serial# C0C9D5045xxx, Lot# 5200059914.

On mine, Serial #COC9DU343XX, Lot #5200059739

So it looks like they were possibly produced in the same batch as the numbers are only 175 units apart.
AndrewGl

Postby realpoor » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:21 am

I too am having this problem.
Serial# C0C9DH03XXXX
Lot# 5200059739

I've tried ethernet and wireless. When I first updated the device I got unable to get activation code from Roku. Restarted the device and made it to the home screen, but cannot update past Version 2.3 Build 85.
realpoor

Postby bubbaakl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:31 am

I received another response from customer service which appears to be canned:
Thank you for contacting ROKU Support. My Name is Danny and I will be helping you with your query.
Kindly go through the following steps
1 . Push and hold the reset button which is on the rear side or at the bottom of the Roku player when it is plugged in.
2 . Release the button after 40 seconds and unplug the power cable and plug it back after 10 seconds.
3 . Then redo the setup of the player and activate the device.
Please feel free to write to us if you have further questions or issues.
Thank you for providing us with an opportunity to assist you and thank you for choosing ROKU.
Regards,
Danny
Roku Support.

Note : Please be aware that your case will auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

This also did not fix the problem. Round-trip to India (assumption) takes a day for each message. And the "help" isn't helpful for this case. It's just dragging this on.
bubbaakl

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion