Roku alternatives?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku alternatives?

Postby scathew » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 pm

My downstairs Roku M500 just died. I'd be happy to buy a new one, but unfortunately you guys aren't making them anymore. If your Netflix box also streamed audio I'd be tempted for that, but I think it's video only?

So, anyone suggest reasonably priced alternatives?

Can you get the Rokus fixed?

Thanks in advance.
scathew

Postby DerekHelps » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:30 pm

The DVP is mostly video, it does however support Pandora, and has an SDK which potentially allows for the streaming of a good deal of other web-based media.
DerekHelps

Re: Roku alternatives?

Postby Burkhardi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:05 am

scathew wrote:My downstairs Roku M500 just died. I'd be happy to buy a new one, but unfortunately you guys aren't making them anymore. If your Netflix box also streamed audio I'd be tempted for that, but I think it's video only?

So, anyone suggest reasonably priced alternatives?

Can you get the Rokus fixed?

Thanks in advance.

I can fix that M500 for you. If it's totaly dead, try a another wall-wart (power adaptor) first. If it looks dead, but you see the yellow and green light by the ethernet jack then it probably something else. In any case, I have had wonderful results with repairing of the M500, M1000, M2000, R1000, HD1000 and M1001.
I'll send you a PM with my info incase you want help, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Time to Change

Postby apostle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:11 pm

I loved my SB until it died one day, and I had concerns about the lack of ongoing development, so I moved to the Squeezebox, and haven't regretted it for a moment. The SB was good but for whatever reasons it appears to have had its day.
apostle

Postby GJH » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:27 pm

I would also recommend Logitech Squeezebox products. I currently have two M2000 and an M500 but almost always use my two Squeezebox Duets instead. It's much easier to find what you want to listen to with the Logitech products. One of the best features with Squeezebox products is if you own an iPod Touch or iPhone there is a great app called iPeng that allows you to control any Squeezebox product from the palm of your hand. This gives you a great remote with touch screen control, plus if your music is tagged with cover art it will be displayed on the remote.

Check out the links below for more information about Squeezebox and iPeng.

http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/
http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/apps/ipeng.html
GJH

Postby terence_z » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:10 pm

well, same for me, died after 15 months only. A real shame , peace of crap ...A chance that I did not buy yet an addition one for my second tv set ... looking for other alternatives, propositions are welcome !
terence_z

Postby rocknrollpt2 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:23 pm

The "Boxee" looks good, I'm just not sure if they have the same channels. If they do then I'm going there as well. I just started streaming last week. I was reluctant because on a PC it always looks horrible. The quality on the new ROKU is very good. I use the HDMI and the Optical digital sound connector. Though for some reason on RDIO I cannot get Dolby digital, just Pro Logic II. The box ROKu makes is rather crappy. Sorry guys, but for such a bold new adventure, you could put a little more money into the manufacturing. My first box did not work, and I had to return it after performing a myriad of redundant tests with the nice customer service rep from India :evil: I only make the mad face because he was insistent that I do these tests when I already knew the problem. Suffice it to say, I will continue streaming, but want a quality box. My neighbor uses a Samsung Blu Ray Player and the streaming is awesome. It's a little more money, but you get what you pay for. To ROKU - upgrade your transistors, DA converters, and connectors, and you have a winner.
rocknrollpt2

Postby DJans » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:20 am

We have 2 M2000, 2 M1000 and 4 R1000 here at Home in use the there is no real alternative for me. I use these units since many years and I am very happy with the soundbridges.

The sqeezebox does not play from UPNP servers and so it is no alternative for me.

I use iRock app on my iPhone and iPAd to control the units. Great.
Last edited by DJans on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DJans

Postby 46jimbo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:59 pm

terrence_z, are you sure you don't just need a new power adapter to revive your Roku?
46jimbo

Postby fallsmatt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi guys... I have a M1000 and M500, and love them. Sooner or later I will probably get a SqueezeBox, but I wanted to ask you guys who have a SB now... How is the audio quality?

I have a fairly high end stereo system, and I love Rokus because of their excellent sound quality (esp. the M500). Do any of you have a high end stereo you have hooked up your Squeezebox to, and what were the results?

Thanks!
fallsmatt

Return to SoundBridge General Discussion