NFL Network Arrives on Hulu

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

NFL Network Arrives on Hulu

Postby KennyJ » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:26 pm

http://mashable.com/2010/01/29/nfl-hulu/

Sports fans, rejoice: Hulu’s online TV catalog just added the NFL Network to its roster.

The Fox/ABC/NBC joint venture just announced that it’s adding eight shows from the National Football League’s dedicated channel, along with highlights from past seasons for every NFL team. Here are the shows that have just landed on Hulu
User avatar
KennyJ
 
Posts: 4045
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Lawndale, CA

Postby Crow550 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Well until someone else can create a deal and bring it to the Roku.

Still kinda cool they are bringing it to PCs for free.
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Postby sweller » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:18 pm

Crow550 wrote:Well until someone else can create a deal and bring it to the Roku.

Still kinda cool they are bringing it to PCs for free.


I was told that it will probably never happen on the Roku as it's *not* a DLNA-compatible device.
http://www.bbb.org/sanjose/business-reviews/electronic-equipment-and-supplies-wholesale-and-manufacturers/roku-in-saratoga-ca-223541
sweller
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:37 am
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Postby KennyJ » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:23 pm

sweller wrote:
Crow550 wrote:Well until someone else can create a deal and bring it to the Roku.

Still kinda cool they are bringing it to PCs for free.


I was told that it will probably never happen on the Roku as it's *not* a DLNA-compatible device.


Not sure what DNLA compatibility has to do with NFL content?
User avatar
KennyJ
 
Posts: 4045
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Lawndale, CA

Postby sweller » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:19 pm

KennyJ wrote:
sweller wrote:
Crow550 wrote:Well until someone else can create a deal and bring it to the Roku.

Still kinda cool they are bringing it to PCs for free.


I was told that it will probably never happen on the Roku as it's *not* a DLNA-compatible device.


Not sure what DNLA compatibility has to do with NFL content?


It doesn't. It has to do with streaming from Hulu to the TV.

Did I misread this thread? :oops:
http://www.bbb.org/sanjose/business-reviews/electronic-equipment-and-supplies-wholesale-and-manufacturers/roku-in-saratoga-ca-223541
sweller
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:37 am
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Postby KennyJ » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:24 pm

sweller wrote:
KennyJ wrote:
sweller wrote:
Crow550 wrote:Well until someone else can create a deal and bring it to the Roku.

Still kinda cool they are bringing it to PCs for free.


I was told that it will probably never happen on the Roku as it's *not* a DLNA-compatible device.


Not sure what DNLA compatibility has to do with NFL content?


It doesn't. It has to do with streaming from Hulu to the TV.

Did I misread this thread? :oops:


I think you misread... but

Ok.. not sure what DNLA compatibility have to do with Hulu content on the Roku?
User avatar
KennyJ
 
Posts: 4045
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Lawndale, CA

Postby sweller » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:01 pm

KennyJ wrote:
sweller wrote:
KennyJ wrote:
sweller wrote:
Crow550 wrote:Well until someone else can create a deal and bring it to the Roku.

Still kinda cool they are bringing it to PCs for free.


I was told that it will probably never happen on the Roku as it's *not* a DLNA-compatible device.


Not sure what DNLA compatibility has to do with NFL content?


It doesn't. It has to do with streaming from Hulu to the TV.

Did I misread this thread? :oops:


I think you misread... but

Ok.. not sure what DNLA compatibility have to do with Hulu content on the Roku?


:lol:

"Consumers can now also watch Hulu on their TVs, according to Popular Science’s Dec. 2009 Top 100 Innovations of the Year issue, by downloading MediaMall Technologies’ PlayOn software to their PC which works with their networked Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 or DLNA-compatible device connected to their TV."

That precludes the Roku DVP. Yes?
http://www.bbb.org/sanjose/business-reviews/electronic-equipment-and-supplies-wholesale-and-manufacturers/roku-in-saratoga-ca-223541
sweller
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:37 am
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Postby KennyJ » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:07 pm

sweller wrote:
KennyJ wrote:
sweller wrote:
KennyJ wrote:
sweller wrote:
Crow550 wrote:Well until someone else can create a deal and bring it to the Roku.

Still kinda cool they are bringing it to PCs for free.


I was told that it will probably never happen on the Roku as it's *not* a DLNA-compatible device.


Not sure what DNLA compatibility has to do with NFL content?


It doesn't. It has to do with streaming from Hulu to the TV.

Did I misread this thread? :oops:


I think you misread... but

Ok.. not sure what DNLA compatibility have to do with Hulu content on the Roku?


:lol:

"Consumers can now also watch Hulu on their TVs, according to Popular Science’s Dec. 2009 Top 100 Innovations of the Year issue, by downloading MediaMall Technologies’ PlayOn software to their PC which works with their networked Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 or DLNA-compatible device connected to their TV."

That precludes the Roku DVP. Yes?


That's PlayOn on the Roku. It doesn't mean Hulu couldn't develop a Roku channel.
User avatar
KennyJ
 
Posts: 4045
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Lawndale, CA

Postby Crow550 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:32 pm

Hulu can't because TV networks say NO.

TV wants YOU to watch new shows on there TV networks. As TV ads help foot there bill. Hulu doesn't.

Now why can't Hulu just go on set top boxes and block the latest shows to please TV networks?

I have no clue.... As Hulu does offer a lot of great shows & movies not being shown on TV.
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Postby sweller » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:12 pm

And Hulu tech support told me Roku would have to fix the box, too.
http://www.bbb.org/sanjose/business-reviews/electronic-equipment-and-supplies-wholesale-and-manufacturers/roku-in-saratoga-ca-223541
sweller
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:37 am
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Postby KennyJ » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:43 pm

sweller wrote:And Hulu tech support told me Roku would have to fix the box, too.


If that's the case (which I doubt), it still has nothing to do with DNLA. So far Hulu has not only expressed no interest in being on a STB, they've actively tried to prevent it.

If Hulu wanted to be on the Roku, I'm sure Roku could make it happen.
User avatar
KennyJ
 
Posts: 4045
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Lawndale, CA

Postby mega1026 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:08 am

Hulu is going to be on Boxee though right? that's a STB? so it seems like it could be on Roku right?
mega1026
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:06 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Postby jeffrok » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:38 am

Hulu can't be on the Roku, because it has not web page interface.. Boxee can stream any web page if I'm not mistaken, making sites like Hulu possible. The Roku can't.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3613
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Postby KennyJ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:12 am

mega1026 wrote:Hulu is going to be on Boxee though right? that's a STB? so it seems like it could be on Roku right?


Boxee is accomplishing that by including a Mozilla browser. Hulu has actively fought Boxee on this -- but so far it seems like Boxee is winning.
User avatar
KennyJ
 
Posts: 4045
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Lawndale, CA

Postby Burkhardi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:59 am

jeffrok wrote:Hulu can't be on the Roku, because it has not web page interface.. Boxee can stream any web page if I'm not mistaken, making sites like Hulu possible. The Roku can't.



I'm pretty sure the N-Series box (aka "the Roku") has a web server...

On another note: Why does every company have to reinvent the wheel. What was wrong with UPnP; why did they have to do DLNA?
I thought that was the whole point of UPnP (Universal Plug and Play). UPnP works great for getting pictures, music, video and such around the house.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:06 am
Location: Austin, Texas ...Y'all

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests