HELP! New HD-XR, Won't connect to network

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

HELP! New HD-XR, Won't connect to network

Postby buela » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:33 pm

Help! I just received my Roku HD-XR today, and I can't get it to connect to the local network.

I have a TrendNet TEW-652BRP Wireless N Router. I use WPA, and do not do any MAC filtering. It has the latest version of the firmware.

I first was sure that it was a signal strength problem since the TV where we're hooking this up is one floor up and on the opposite side of the house, so I repositioned the router which took the signal strength indicator on my laptop (when in the same location as the Roku unit) from "low" to "very good"; I will likely do more positioning to see if I can get it to "excellent" but I would think that I should be able to connect with "very good!"

I changed it to channel 11 since that's the least used channel for any other signal we can pick up here, though I tried 1 and 6 while trying to get this to work. I assigned a static IP to see if that might help, and it doesn't. I disconnected the power from the Roku a bunch of times, ditto for the router, didn't help.

Some other random settings on the router, that I have no idea if they are relevant or not: It's running mixed g/b/n mode. Channel width is set to "auto 20/40 Mhz" (it was originally set to 20 and I changed it to see it if helped. It didn't.).

I don't know what else to check or try.

It gives me the green light on "connecting to wireless network" but then gives me the error screen after it tries "connecting to your local network."

I just bought this router within the past year so I'd prefer to not replace it, and someone in the forums did verify that it works with his system, so any other suggestions that you might have are appreciated.

Any suggestions that anyone can make are very much appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by buela on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buela

Postby moviegeek65 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:10 am

Make sure the router is setup as DHCP and running in HTTP(not HTTPS), I would also try running in G mode. If you set it to mixed and have other wireless devices that are G then it will cause the router to fluctuate.
moviegeek65

Postby buela » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:14 pm

Thanks. Tried that and everything else. Spent 90 minutes with tech support, then got cut off, then 45 minutes more for them to declare that it was incompatible and they weren't able to get any models or TrendNet routers working and they weren't going to help me any more.

I PM'd the person who posted to these forums who said that he had this wireless router and it was working fine, so I hope he replies. I also sent a message to TrendNet technical support.

I must say that I'm a little ticked at how many times I was told that in order to test it I'd need to find another unsecured wireless signal and attempt to tie into that (there is none), and how the conclusion was simply that I needed to buy another router. This router is less than a year old. I requested an RMA and return ticket, though I will use them only if I can't get this resolved in any way. I really don't want to return it but if my only choice is to drop another wad of cash on another wireless router, I'll have no choice since I just don't have that in my budget right now, and I'll need to simply buy one again after I can afford a new router since if I am going to get a new one, I'm going to get a good one not just the cheapest thing I can find.

Other ideas are still much appreciated. I'm not giving up yet.
buela

Postby robertm » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:42 pm

For whatever reason Roku has trouble making the initial connection to some routers with security and the firewall enabled. If you temporarily disable them and connect, update, and watch a few moments of some program you can try re-enabling them on your router and see if after the security features are set-up in roku if your troubles subside.
robertm

Postby buela » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:54 pm

robertm wrote:For whatever reason Roku has trouble making the initial connection to some routers with security and the firewall enabled. If you temporarily disable them and connect, update, and watch a few moments of some program you can try re-enabling them on your router and see if after the security features are set-up in roku if your troubles subside.

I disabled both the security and the firewall. Nothing. Still get a green light for wireless connection but then a red light/fail at network connection.
buela

Postby robertm » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:52 pm

buela wrote:
robertm wrote:For whatever reason Roku has trouble making the initial connection to some routers with security and the firewall enabled. If you temporarily disable them and connect, update, and watch a few moments of some program you can try re-enabling them on your router and see if after the security features are set-up in roku if your troubles subside.

I disabled both the security and the firewall. Nothing. Still get a green light for wireless connection but then a red light/fail at network connection.

Have you tried wired to rule out any wireless issues?
robertm

Postby buela » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:43 am

robertm wrote:Have you tried wired to rule out any wireless issues?

I've checked as many wireless settings as I can think of to check and change, and would appreciate additional suggestions. At this point the wireless router is just two feet away so it's not a signal strength problem, and my laptop picks up a strong, clean signal just fine.

It does "pass" getting the wireless signal, but hangs up on "connecting to local network."
buela

Postby moviegeek65 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:56 am

Unplug the power to your Roku and plug it back in.
moviegeek65

Postby buela » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:08 am

moviegeek65 wrote:Unplug the power to your Roku and plug it back in.

Done bunches and bunches and bunches of time, in between every attempted change of router settings in fact.
buela

Postby philsoft » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:27 am

buela wrote:
robertm wrote:Have you tried wired to rule out any wireless issues?

I've checked as many wireless settings as I can think of to check and change, and would appreciate additional suggestions. At this point the wireless router is just two feet away so it's not a signal strength problem, and my laptop picks up a strong, clean signal just fine.

It does "pass" getting the wireless signal, but hangs up on "connecting to local network."

If you can try hooking the unit up wired it would be helpful in diagnosing the problem. Proximity to the router does not necessarily rule out a wireless issue.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby buela » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:51 am

philsoft wrote:If you can try hooking the unit up wired it would be helpful in diagnosing the problem. Proximity to the router does not necessarily rule out a wireless issue.

I hooked it up wired and it worked perfectly and immediately. I fully understand that it's somehow a wireless issue, I just don't know what else to check/change/try. Being in close proximity to the wireless router only ruled out a signal strength problem.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'm willing to try (and re-try) pretty much anything at this point.
buela

Postby kc8pql » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:56 am

Now go back and try it wireless. As mentioned above, sometimes, for whatever reason, connecting wired first fixes wireless connection problems.
kc8pql

Postby philsoft » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:00 am

QOS is a common problem, and if your router has such a setting, toggling it may make a difference. Toggling security settings and disabling any firewall that may be enabled in the router can make a difference. Make sure router is set to broadcast ssid.
philsoft

Postby buela » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:15 am

kc8pql wrote:Now go back and try it wireless. As mentioned above, sometimes, for whatever reason, connecting wired first fixes wireless connection problems.

Did this, several times. Wired - running. Wireless, with a variety of config changes (reboot, reboot, reboot), won't go past connecting to network.
buela

Postby buela » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:17 am

philsoft wrote:QOS is a common problem, and if your router has such a setting, toggling it may make a difference. Toggling security settings and disabling any firewall that may be enabled in the router can make a difference. Make sure router is set to broadcast ssid.

I carefully checked every page in my router config screen and didn't see anything related to QOS. I've turned off all security, turned off firewall, and it broadcasts the ssid. I even tried changing the ssid.
buela

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion