ROKU Skype Edition

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

ROKU Skype Edition

Postby jimbojones » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:39 pm

I know I go maybe too far and this could be theoretically solved with USB webcam and some software, but ...

can you imagine there would be ROKU Skype Edition? Simple box as we know it today with webcam in front and mic on each side?

I would buy it for everybody in my family!
jimbojones

Re: ROKU Skype Edition

Postby kumasuki » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:36 pm

jimbojones wrote:I know I go maybe too far and this could be theoretically solved with USB webcam and some software, but ...

can you imagine there would be ROKU Skype Edition? Simple box as we know it today with webcam in front and mic on each side?

Well, the new XR model does have a USB port - for 'future' use.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Re: ROKU Skype Edition

Postby ProdigiousJuggalo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:31 pm

jimbojones wrote:I know I go maybe too far and this could be theoretically solved with USB webcam and some software, but ...

I've had the exact same thought. It would be a nice addition to the channels.

On the other hand, I guess not everyone would want this, but I personally think it would be awesome. Especially if it could be integrated as a layered application. With the way the current coding of the box works though, I'm not sure that this would be feasible. For example, say you are watching Netflix or listening to Pandora and during this activity, someone wants to speak with you / see you using Skype. I don't think that the would be able to see you online as at that moment, you wouldn't be running the Skype app.... same as on a PC. What I'm suggesting that would potentially make this great would be to somehow be notified on the screen that a Skype call was being received while during an activity, such as during watching Netflix or listening to Pandora.

Yup,
Prodigious Juggalo
ProdigiousJuggalo

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion