Dish Satelite

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Dish Satelite

Postby tina_trs » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:32 pm

I'm asking for my mom. She has Dish network with older tv with composite red, yellow, and white. Does she have to run cable all the way from her computer to tv or just from satelite box to tv. I don't really understand how these older models work. I have wireless. Thx
tina_trs

Re: Dish Satelite

Postby kumasuki » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:57 pm

tina_trs wrote:I'm asking for my mom. She has Dish network with older tv with composite red, yellow, and white. Does she have to run cable all the way from her computer to tv or just from satelite box to tv. I don't really understand how these older models work. I have wireless. Thx

Tell mom that the Roku does NOT connect to a computer (or satellite box). The Roku connects directly to the TV and it can use the R/W/Y (RCA) cables. The Roku will also need to connect to the Internet - if mom has a computer connected to the internet and it is the ONLY thing using the internet, then mom will need to get a ROUTER. The router will enable mom to connect both her computer and the Roku to the internet at the same time. Depending on where mom puts the router (usually near the DSL./cable modem), mom will need an ethernet cable long enough to go from the modem & router to wherever the TV and Roku are.
Last edited by kumasuki on Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby DeftOne » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:59 pm

No need to run cable from computer to the Roku DVP if you have a wireless network -- it has wireless built-in. The Roku DVP should plug directly in to the TV if possible. If the TV does not have any more inputs, you'll need some sort of switch. I don't think the Roku DVP will like you trying to "pass it thru" your satellite STB.
DeftOne

Postby kumasuki » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:03 pm

DeftOne wrote:No need to run cable from computer to the Roku DVP if you have a wireless network -- it has wireless built-in. The Roku DVP should plug directly in to the TV if possible. If the TV does not have any more inputs, you'll need some sort of switch. I don't think the Roku DVP will like you trying to "pass it thru" your satellite STB.

Tina said that she had wireless -I'm not sure if that meant mom does too.
A switch may be needed if either the sat-box or something else is using the RCA inputs (and there's only one set) - the sat-box might connect with coax.
The Roku would likely have problems routing through a sat-box.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby Bob Coxner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:12 am

Mom will have to learn how to switch tv inputs on the remote. I've found that's not a trivial task for non-techies. The alternative is to buy a good learning remote, like a Harmony, and then have someone program it for one-button, clearly labeled input switching and Roku operation.
Bob Coxner

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion