My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Postby renojim » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:52 am

Make sure you can browse to your server, preferably from another machine. Browse to http://localip:8001/feed and then click on "My Music" to make sure your server is operating properly. Of course, replace "localip" with the local IP address of your server. You may also want to check to see if the Python server is spitting out any useful messages and/or if there's anything in my_media_log.txt in the server directory.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby tdurrant420 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:48 pm

How can i de regeister my server. I have tried digging through the code to find the config file but no luck.
I have to reregister because i switched from ubuntu to lxde
tdurrant420

Postby tdurrant420 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:50 pm

yeah, forgot to restart after deleting the config.ini

Also to who ever revives registrations errors, sorry eh.
tdurrant420

MyMedia vs Plex

Postby frazelle09 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:07 pm

First off, Thanks! for making something that actually works with my Roku. Today i returned the DVD player that my son-in-law had loaned me to play my video files.

We are running PCLinuxOS and this is where we are streaming our files from, using the MyMedia server. We have to convert our DivX files to m4p in order for Roku to "see" them. Once we have them converted, they look just great! Our son is running Windows 7 i think and installed Plex as soon as we got the Roku. What is very strange is that he doesn't have to convert his DivX files to m4p format. He, too, is pretty weired out, since supposedly Roku only "sees" m4p although all of his files, with the exception of a couple, end in .avi.

Anybody know what's going on? Again, thanks a million for putting together such a great program which is really not all that hard to set up.

Have a great evening! :)
"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens."
............................................Bahá'u'lláh...........................................
"La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos."
frazelle09

Postby renojim » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Plex does on-the-fly transcoding and requires a fairly powerful computer. I run MyMedia on a Pogoplug clone with 128MB of RAM. I never found a need for transcoding and have no problem converting videos to MP4 using HandBrake, but if you have a lot of videos in a format that the box doesn't support natively then you may be more happy with Plex.

-JT
renojim

Re: MyMedia vs Plex

Postby hozedhead » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:48 pm

frazelle09 wrote: Our son is running Windows 7 i think and installed Plex as soon as we got the Roku. What is very strange is that he doesn't have to convert his DivX files to m4p format.
Anybody know what's going on? Again, thanks a million for putting together such a great program which is really not all that hard to set up.

If the files aren't Roku-compliant, the Plex server converts them while your son watches them. It's a waste of cpu if he's going to watch the files more than once, because Plex leaves the original file on the server and deletes the transcoded material whenever the playback is stopped. It's a matter of converting each video once vs. doing it each and every time it's viewed. The newest Plex Beta channel will play most compliant files without conversion. It's a new feature under development.
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby tdurrant420 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:50 pm

So anyone seen the new Roku2XS? I am worried i am going to lose it in my av stack :D
tdurrant420

srt subtitles with MyMedia

Postby xwin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi,
I installed MyMedia and so far I am very happy with the server. The server from the github did not play mkv files on my new Roku2. I added support and Brian checked that in. For anyone who is interested, Roku2 can play mkv files with h264 content from the network as well as the usb drive. Manual only mentioned the usb drive.
I have a question however. The server opens srt subtitles according to the code but Roku does not display anything. How does one makes it to display subtitles?

One feature I would like to see in UI and the server is the ability to shutdown the server PC. When I am finished watching at night I need to get up and shutdown my machine. If there would be dialog to select that would send a request to server which caused it to shutdown the machine it would be useful IMHO.

Thanks.
xwin

Postby renojim » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:16 pm

The box can be pretty picky about SRT files. Make sure the file is ANSI encoded (UTF-8 is probably ok, but I haven't tried it) and one thing that's sure to cause a problem is if the last line doesn't end with a new line character. If I have a file that doesn't work I open it in Notepad++, change the line endings to Unix format, trim trailing space, and make sure I go to the last line and hit return if necessary. One other thing in case you didn't know, the SRT file has to have the same name as the video file, just with a .srt extension.

I'll take a look at the MKV stuff you added and add it to the beta 2.0 version I've been working on forever. MKV support was initially only for USB devices, so I haven't even tried to stream one.

Interesting idea about shutting down the server. I don't know if that's possible across all OSs, but it should be possible for Windows at least. Until I moved everything to my Dockstar which I just leave on, I used Wake on LAN and VNC to control my server from a laptop.

-JT
renojim

Postby LeoH » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:24 am

Hi, I think the link from the mymedia readme file is pointing to an old thread...

I tried to get started with roku mymedia but when trying to add the private channel it says :
this channel is not available in your area

Could you please add "rest of the world" to the options of that channel?

Thanks in advance
Saludos
LeoH
LeoH

Postby renojim » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:37 pm

Done! You'll be the guinea pig to see if it works. I don't know if the change takes effect immediately or not.

-JT
renojim

Postby LeoH » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:00 pm

Like a charm, thanks!
LeoH

Postby el.wubo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:15 pm

LeoH wrote:Like a charm, thanks!

Sweet! Thanks for pointing out the bad link in the README. I just fixed that too.
el.wubo

Postby xwin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 pm

renojim wrote:The box can be pretty picky about SRT files. Make sure the file is ANSI encoded (UTF-8 is probably ok, but I haven't tried it) and one thing that's sure to cause a problem is if the last line doesn't end with a new line character. If I have a file that doesn't work I open it in Notepad++, change the line endings to Unix format, trim trailing space, and make sure I go to the last line and hit return if necessary. One other thing in case you didn't know, the SRT file has to have the same name as the video file, just with a .srt extension.

I think that I more or less figured it out. The Roku does not display subtitles with MKV files. It does fetch the URL but nothing appears on the screen. Probably a bug. It does display with m4v files in yellow color and pretty large font. Not bad actually. The subtitle file can have in unix or dos eol. It does need an empty line at the end of the file.

I have one idea regarding subtitles. The Client may have an option to turn them on or off. When subtitles are off video can be started without subtitle URL. Although it is possible to turn them off by renaming or moving the file it would be nicer if there would be a global setting. It is easy to do on the server side but not convenient to change. UI makes more sense.

Thanks for the tips!
xwin

Postby renojim » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:10 am

xwin wrote:I think that I more or less figured it out. The Roku does not display subtitles with MKV files. It does fetch the URL but nothing appears on the screen.

Like I said, I haven't tried any MKV files yet. Maybe subtitles work if playing from USB? I'll have to try that at some point. I'd agree that it's a bug. Have you tried pairing one of your SRT files from an MKV with an MP4 to make sure it's not the SRT file?

xwin wrote:I have one idea regarding subtitles. The Client may have an option to turn them on or off. When subtitles are off video can be started without subtitle URL. Although it is possible to turn them off by renaming or moving the file it would be nicer if there would be a global setting. It is easy to do on the server side but not convenient to change. UI makes more sense.

This is something I've been thinking about. It would be nice if they could be turned on/off during playback, but that's not possible. Perhaps the option to play with/without subtitles could be presented when the video is selected.

-JT
renojim

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion