Computer as a remote?

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Computer as a remote?

Postby sprinklefurball » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:28 am

I am visiting a friend's house and brought my Roku HD with me, only problem? I forgot my Remote at home, which basically renders my Roku useless as my friend does not have a universal RF Remote and I do not have an Android or iPhone, so my question is, is there some way to use my laptop (a Toshiba Satellite A205 with Windows Vista, which is on the same wi-fi network) to control the Roku?
sprinklefurball

Re: Computer as a remote?

Postby jcmolet » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:05 am

sprinklefurball wrote:I am visiting a friend's house and brought my Roku HD with me, only problem? I forgot my Remote at home, which basically renders my Roku useless as my friend does not have a universal RF Remote and I do not have an Android or iPhone, so my question is, is there some way to use my laptop (a Toshiba Satellite A205 with Windows Vista, which is on the same wi-fi network) to control the Roku?

You can telnet to the Roku on port 8080 from the Command Prompt:

C:\Users\Name>telnet 192.168.1.xxx 8080

The commands:

press up
press down
press left
press right
press select
press home
press fwd
press back
press pause
jcmolet

Postby sprinklefurball » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:24 am

That would be the ip of the roku or my computer?
How do I figure out the ip of the roku?
I can't get the users folder to work in command prompt because when I type dir/p it says it doesn't exist.
sprinklefurball

Postby KennyJ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:35 am

sprinklefurball wrote:That would be the ip of the roku or my computer?
I can't get the users folder to work in command prompt because when I type dir/p it says it doesn't exist.

IP of the Roku. It shows you in the Roku Settings what it is... or if you look at your network, it should be listed as NPxxxxxxxx
KennyJ

Postby jcmolet » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:39 am

sprinklefurball wrote:That would be the ip of the roku or my computer?

The IP address of the Roku. You should be able to browse to your router (on Linksys routers anyway) and view all the hosts - and their IPs - that are on your LAN.

A more brute force way would be to ping the addresses that are close to that of the host computer. As an example, if the laptop you are on is 192.168.102, other hosts are probably right in line - 103, 104, 105, etc. -with that.

Try telnet 192.168.1.10x 8080 until you get the indication you have hit the Roku.
Last edited by jcmolet on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
jcmolet

Postby KennyJ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:40 am

Mine are:

etc.. So you can try that too.
KennyJ

Postby sprinklefurball » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:56 am

does this thing work?

[quote="eri3k"]I'm not going to have time to play with the remote app for the foreseeable future, so I might as well let people use what I've got "as is" since it is broadly functional. This zipped file contains the source code and a compiled executable:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/823516/Roku_Remote_v2.09.zip

There are a few new features and many back-end changes. First, there are now search entry and PIN entry tools for Amazon VOD. Also, most functions can now be reached using the following hot keys:
Home button: h
Up button: ↑
Left button: â†
sprinklefurball

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion