Connect NAS Device to Roku Video Player?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Connect NAS Device to Roku Video Player?

Postby jca » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:06 pm

I have an Iomega Home Media NAS device, where I have some video stored ... can I connect to my Roku video player, via my network, to stream the videos to my TV? If so, how do I get my Roku device to see my NAS? Also, can I stream music to my Roku, or do I need a Soundbridge to do that?
jca

Postby jeffrok » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Nope, can't do that at this time.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby calicommando » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Actually you can if you want to put a little effort into it. Check this thread:

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=25955
calicommando

Postby jca » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:44 am

[quote="calicommando"]Actually you can if you want to put a little effort into it. Check this thread:

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=25955[/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate the help ... that seems a little aggressive for my capabilities right now -- I'd be afraid of disabling the whole thing! But if I get brave, I'll definitely take another look at it!
jca

Postby DeftOne » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:48 am

It's really not all that difficult, and from what I've read, it's nearly impossible to disable or brick the Roku DVP.

The instructions in the README are pretty good, and the installation of the channel on your Roku is really simplified with the installer that el.wubo has created. If you get stuck, there are several people who are using his custom channel that could help you out. Just post in the thread calicommando linked to above. If a user can't help you, el.wubo (the author of the channel) can. He is very responsive and helpful.

Just keep in mind your files will need to be in a Roku-friendly format, which is a bit of a hassle when it comes to movies since the Roku only supports certain formats. Transcoding videos takes time...a lot of time.
DeftOne

Postby jca » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:58 am

Well that gives me a bit more strength - if I'm not in danger of disabling the DVP, it couldn't hurt to try. Thanks!
jca

Re: Connect NAS Device to Roku Video Player?

Postby ashes00 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:38 pm

JCA - Its realy not that hard. I too was afraid of bricking the device. I actualy PM'ed el.wubo when this was in its beginning, and started watching the "My Music" grow to be what it is today. I have since done the setup several times with different versions, and i ahve to say its rather easy. AND YES, I have a NAS that is the back end storage unit. It is working great. Give it a try you can do it.

-Ash
ashes00

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion